Trade Liberalisation and its Impact on Regional Development: Theoretical and Experimental Studies
The existing theoretical and empirical literature focusing on interconnections between international trade, trade liberalisation, and economic development provides ample evidence pertaining to nations and industries. However, another dimension of trade liberalisation — the assessment of the level of national or regional development — needs further research. This article sets out to analyse ...
Structural Changes in the Economy of the Russian Northwest: Spatial Dimension
... compared to the national average. Based on this analysis, the authors describe the nature of changes in the NWFD sectoral specialisation, which correlated with the distance to large economic centres — Moscow and St. Petersburg. The authors prove that the economic development of the Northwest macroregion follows the ‘core-periphery’ pattern. The regional economy structure depends on the position of a given region in relation to the core. Concrete approaches to managing structural changes in the economies of ...
Does corruption influence the sustainability of economic growth?
... struggle against corruption can be seen as one of the issues in economic policy. Finally, all development assistance should be implemented with the aim of achieving sustainable benefits.
1. Acemoglu, D. J. 2001, The Colocial Origins of Comparative Development, The American Economic Review, Vol. 91 (5), p. 1369—1401.
2. Anderberg, D. 2003, Insiders, Outsiders, and the Underground Economy.
ESifo, Working Paper Center for Economic Studies and Ifo Institute for Economic Research, no. 1048, University of London.
Economic Development of the Baltic and Nordic Countries: Characteristics of Еconomic Models
Economic development models are crucial for understanding historical progress of countries and in forecasting their future economic prospects. The Nordic countries are connected with the Baltics through culture, history, politics, and economy. These states ...
Towards a Stable and Dynamic Economy in the Kaliningrad Region
... companies enjoying customs privileges to produce goods for the national market will receive government support for reequipment. Effective use of the allocated funds would require setting up a regional programme identifying priority areas of regional economic development thus ensuring economic stability. There is also a need to support companies ensuring the economic — including food — security of the region.
1. Analiz hozjajstvujushhih sub#ektov i opredelenie trebovanij k ih jekonomicheskim harakteristikam ...
Negative externalities and sustainability of energy sector
... industry and possibilities for the sustainable development. The concept of negative externalities of the electricity industry and evaluation and internalization of the negative externalities are reviewed from the viewpoint of principles of environmental economics and sustainable development.
Arrow K. J. (1970). The organization of economic activity: issues pertinent to the choice of market versus nonmarket allocation. / In: Public expenditures and policy analysis.
The development of small innovative enterprises through harmonising economic interests
... of instruments — those aimed at combining the agents’ efforts on the basis of their common economic interests and prevention of conflicts resulting from their incompatibility. The recommendations on the application of instruments for harmonizing economic interests can be used in drawing up programmes for the development of small innovative business at the federal, regional, and municipal levels.
1. Molchanova, O. P. (ed.). 2010, Mehanizmy gosudarstvennoj podderzhki innovacionnogo predprinimatel'stva: Analiz mezhdunarodnogo opyta [Mechanisms of state support ...
Clusters in the institutional perspective: on the theory and methodology of local socioeconomic development
... regional'nym programmam MBA/MPA [Kaliningrad region: towards regional programs MBA / MPA], Kaliningrad, Izd-vo RGU im. I. Kanta, p. 76—113.
2. Gareev, T. R. 2010, Instituty i jekonomicheskoe razvitie na subregional'nom (mezo-) urovne [Institutions and economic development at the subregional (meso) level], Obwestvennye nauki i sovremennost' [Social Sciences and the present], no. 5,
3. Gareev, T. R. 2010, Regional'nyj institucionalizm: terra incognita ili terra ficta? [Regional institutionalism: terra ...
Opportunities for sustainable economic development of the coastal territories of the Baltic Sea Region in the context of digital transformation
The article explores opportunities for the sustainable economic development of coastal territories in the Baltic Sea region (BSR) arising in blue economy sectors in the framework of digital transformation. The study argues that a more active commercialisation of territorial resources can facilitate the sustainable ...
Current trends in the development of a green finance system: methodology and practice
... into practices usable in Russia. The research uses economic observations, economic description, structural and logical analysis, and systems analysis. Perhaps the most significant finding is the description of a methodological framework for sustainable development theory, as seen by major schools of economic thought. Studying the experience of the Baltic Sea countries in creating a new finance model of responsible investment helped detect national features and development priorities that can be used in Russia in devising the ideology, principles,...
Human Development Index as a Tool to Assess Social Development in the Baltic States
... Economic Modelling. Vol. 30, p. 623—635. DOI:
11. Boer, L., Koekkoek, A. 1993, Human development report: Fad or fix tu re? Development Policy Review, Vol. 11, p. 427—438.
12. Desai, M. 1991, Human development: Concepts and measurement, European Economic Review, no. 35(23), p. 350—357.
13. Ephrenesis, D. 1994, Policy uses of HDI: Goals and strategies, SIDA Planeringssekretariatet.
14. Fujita, M., Krugman, P. 2004, The New economic geography: Past, present and the future, Papers in Regional ...
Commodity flow model for an exclave region: Rent-seeking in the ‘transitional period’ of the special economic zone
... 6. Jackson, R. W, Schwarm, W. R., Okuyama, Y., Islam, S. 2006, A Method for Constructing Commodity by Industry Flow Matrices, Annals of Regional Science, no. 40 (4), p. 909—920.
7. Lamande, V., Samson, I., Vinokurov, E. 2004, Measuring regional economic development in Russia: the case of the Kaliningrad oblast, European Urban and Regional Studies, no. 11(1), p. 71—80.
8. Lindall, S., Olson, D., Alward, G. 2006, Deriving Multi-Regional Models: Using the IMPLAN National Trade Flows Model, The Journal ...
The External Economic Factor in the Development of Northwestern Regions: Institutional Support and an Impact Assessment
This research is warranted, since the Northwestern Federal District accounts for a significant proportion of Russia’s exports. The study aims to reveal the connection between the federal district’s external and internal economic development and to identify the extent to which institutional support for international economic cooperation facilitates brisk international trade. The authors consider international trade from the perspective of its procedural and institutional components....
Agents approach to the state economic policies in the condition of fundamental uncertainty
... of this sector of the global socio-economics system. The article proposes the author’s definition of the economic policies regimes, which is understood as a set of rules, measures, norms to achieve the macro-goal of the country's growth through the development of its economic system. With this approach, it becomes possible to adjust the economic policies by changing their regimes if, for a predetermined period of time, the target indicators are not achieved for any reason. The author proposes to divide the external ...
The effect of Covid-19 on labour migration in the CIS
... budgets. In: Gurevich, V. S., Kolesnikov, A. V. et all. (eds.) Monitoring ekonomicheskoi situatsii v Rossii: tendentsii i vyzovy sotsial’no-ekonomicheskogo razvitiya [Monitoring the economic situation in Russia: trends and challenges of social and economic development], no. 7 (109), April 2020, p. 3—13, Moscow, Institute for Economic Policy named after E. T. Gaidar (Gaidar Institute), Russian Academy of National Economy and Public Administration under the President of the Russian Federation (RANEPA), ...
The concept of “network” in the system of basic concepts of regional economic geography
... obshhestvennye sistemy (regional'nyj i lokal'nyj urovni organizacii i upravlenija) [Local social systems (regional and local levels of the organization and management)], Perm’.
19. Schumpeter, J. 1982, Teorija jekonomicheskogo razvitija [Theory of Economic Development], Moscow, 174 p.
20. Amin, A., Cohendet, P. 1999, Learning and adaptation in decentralised business networks, Environment and Planning: Society and Space, no. 17 (1), p. 87—104.
21. Bathelt, H. 2002, The re-emergence of a media industry ...
On the economic security of Russia’s Kaliningrad exclave
... examined along with the region’s prospects as part of the Great Eurasia (Bolshaya Eurasia) project and as an ‘international development corridor’.
Fedorov G. M.
economic security, Kaliningrad region, exclave position, geopolitical factors, economic development
Introducing Sectoral Models into Regional Management: An Assessment of Regulatory Impacts on the Economy
... approaches of simulation modelling, as well as qualitative and quantitative methods in combination with economic-mathematical optimisation models. The article presents a pilot model of regulatory impacts for selected sectors of the Kaliningrad economy. The developed and tested models suggest that a rationale for economic decision-making and consequent actions should be based on the assessment of the impact of different groups of external, internal, and independent factors on value chains, based on the criterion of optimal factor income. In conclusion, the authors ...
Some Aspects of Economic Security of St. Petersburg and the Leningrad Region under Conditions of Geo-Economic Uncertaint
... the state of an economy amid geoeconomic uncertainty, in this case, in the conditions of the crisis of 2014—2016, brought about by both external and internal factors. I employ the concept of the triad of regional economic competitiveness, regional economic security, and sustainable regional socio-economic development. I believe that this triad does not only demonstrate the logic of the current and prospective development of a Russian region but also highlights weaknesses and opportunities for future development. The competitiveness of Saint Petersburg ...
Spatial structure and development of settlements in the Saint Petersburg agglomeration
... structure and development of settlements comprising the Saint Petersburg agglomeration. Previous studies and database sources, which were never used before (the Federal Tax Service [FTS] database and SPARK-Interfax), are analysed to reveal factors in the economic development of metropolitan areas as well as to understand how settlements develop in Russia’s second-largest city agglomeration. The borders and composition of the Saint Petersburg agglomeration are brought up to date. Examining the population size ...
The asymmetry of small and medium business development at a regional level
... presents the results of its approbation in the Northwestern Federal District of Russia. The author makes a conclusion that small and medium business is developing unevenly. The author's method can be used in studying other aspects of the asymmetry of economic development as well as in drawing up small and medium enterprise stimulations programs.
1. Бухарова Е. Б. Оценка стратегического влияния асимметрии социально-экономического развития ...
Modern understanding of ‘geoeconomic position’ and the Saint Petersburg agglomeration
... available at: http://www. vestnik-
argo.sfedu.ru/sites/default/files/23.Лачининский.pdf (accessed 24.12.2013).
19. Kuznetsova, O. A. 2013, Piramida faktorov social'no-jekonomicheskogo razvitija regionov [Piramida of factors of social and economic development of regions],Voprosy economiki [Questions of economy], no. 2, p. 121—131.
20. Fedorov, G. M. 2013, Innovations in the Baltic Sea Region and Network Cooperation between Russia and the EU, Baltic region, no. 1 (15), p. 4—18. doi:10.5922/2079-8555-2013-1-1....
Key Directions of Sectoral and Spatial Changes in the Russian Industry
... Osvoenie mirovogo jekonomicheskogo prostranstva [Geo-economics. The development of the world economic space], Moscow.
10. Osobye jekonomicheskie zony [Special economic zones], Ministerstvo jekonomicheskogo razvitija Rossijskoj Federacii [Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation], available at: http://www.economy.gov.ru (accessed 16.03.2013).
11. Special Economic Zones of Russia, Russez, available at: http://eng. russez.ru (accessed 18.05.2014).
12. Mironenko, N. S. 2006, Vvedenie v geografiju ...
Objective and subjective reasons for crisis of Russian economy
The article presents basic reasons of world economic crisis and their negative influence on economic development of Russia including Kaliningrad region. One could find substantiation of forming new financialeconomic model as long-term development program for Russia.
1. Макиавелли Н. Князь. Минск, 2000.
Kuznetsova I. S.
Strategic opportunities for economic development of the Baltic Sea coastal zones and sea industrial and port complexes
... Federation at the level of its national interests. The article aims to develop an indicator system of assessment of coastal zone potential, and sea industrial and port facilities in order to identify the characteristic and strategic capacities of the economic development of these territories in the complex approach. The research methodology is based on the assessment of marine potential of coastal territories as an indicator of the efficacy of its marine economic complex development with using the indicator ...
Human Resource Efficiency as a Development Factor for the Kaliningrad Economy
... quantity of human resources is one of the key factors behind distribution and development of production. Human resources are of even more importance in the Kaliningrad exclave. This paper aims to increase understanding of the role of human resources in the economic development of the Kaliningrad region. The study uses the cohort component method, scenario-based forecasting of the development and application of human resources, and econometric calculations of the comparative efficiency of human resources application ...
Processes of convergence and divergence in the regions of the European Union: features and qualimetry
... to the Theory of Economic Growth, Quarterly Journal of Economics, Vol. 70, p. 65—94.
10. Gajiyev, Yu. А. 2008, Neoklassicheskie i kumuljativnye teorii regional'nogo jekonomicheskogo rosta i razvitija [Neoclassical theory and cumulative regional economic growth and development], Korporativnoe upravlenie i innovacionnoe razvitie Severa: Vestnik Nauchno-issledovatel'skogo centra korporativnogo prava, upravlenija i venchurnogo investirovanija Syktyvkarskogo gosudarstvennogo universiteta [Corporate governance and innovative ...
The Coastal Regions of Europe: Economic Development at the Turn of the 20th Century
..., abstracts of the 1th Union Conference, Kaliningrad, 1983, September, p. 25—32.
17. Limanno-ust'evye kompleksy Prichernomor'ja. Geograficheskie osnovy hozjajstvennogo osvoenija [Liman and Estuarine systems of the Black Sea. Geographical bases of economic development], 1988, Leningrad.
18. Malinina, Yu. V. 2010, Osobennosti morskoj dejatel'nosti v sovremennyh uslovijah i ocenka negativnyh posledstvij ot povyshenija morskogo urovnja v XXI stoletii [Features of maritime activities in modern conditions ...
Country Competitiveness: an Empirical Study
... R. 2013, Putting per-capita income back into trade theory, Journal of International Economics, Vol. 90, no. 2, p. 255—265.
27. Nielsen, S. B., Sørensen, P. B. 1997, On the optimality of the Nordic system of dual income taxation, Journal of Public Economics, Vol. 63, no. 3, p. 311—329.
28. Palmowski, T., Tarkowski, M. 2016, Development of Sea Port in Gdynia, Balt. Reg., Vol. 8, no. 3, p. 49—55. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2016-3-4.
29. Razin, A., Rubinstein, Y. Sadka, E. 2003, Which Countries Export FDI, and How Much? Paper presented at the 6th Conference of the Analysis of ...
The prospects of nuclear power development in the eastern part of the Baltic Sea region as a factor of the formation of international relations system in the region
The current development of economic diplomacy in the world is determined by a combination of globalization and regionalization. In addition, it has an economic dimension. At the same time, the Baltic Sea region demonstrates large-scale politicisation of economic cooperation. The ...
The Policy of Regional Convergence in Russia-Belarus integration: Prospects for Development
... economic and political rapprochement and offers models of convergence as well as prerequisites for them. The article examines the principles that determine the participation of a country in international integration as well as prospects for the further development of the regional economic and political mechanisms, which are being formed
1. Belstat: Export and import with the certain countries in January-July, 2016, available at:
Transformation of global value chains in Russia and the Baltics amid Covid-19: prospects for regionalization and implications for economic policy
... the sanctions in trade relations with Russia, Journal of International Studies, vol. 11, no. 1, p. 9—20. doi:
13. Fedorov, G. M. 2018, Russian Federation in the Baltic Region: Political Relations and Economic Development in 1992—2017, Polis. Politicheskie issledovaniya [Policy. Political studies], no. 3, p. 30—41. doi:
14. Djankov, S., Freund, C. 2020, Trade flows in the former Soviet Union, 1987 to ...
Russia’s Coastal Zone as a Social and Geographic Phenomenon: Conceptualisation and Delimitation
... properties of marine economic potential of the maritime area], Vestnik Baltiyskogo federal'nogo universiteta im. I. Kanta [Vestnik Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University], no. 3, p. 75—81.
11. Makhnovsky, D. 2014, The Coastal Regions of Europe: Economic Development at the Turn of the 20th Century, Balt. Reg., no. 4, p. 50—66. DOI: 10.5922/2074-2079-8555-4-4.
12. Fedorov, G., Korneevets, V. 2015, Socioeconomic typology of Russia’s coastal regions, Balt. Reg., no. 4, p. 89—101. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2015-4-7....
Improving Human Resource Training Policy for the Balanced Economic and Demographic Development of the Kaliningrad Region
Balanced economic and demographic development is vital for ensuring the dynamic and proportional development of the regions. However, Russia as a whole and the exclave region of Kaliningrad as its integral part demonstrate significant disproportions between the need for human resources ...
The diagnostics of regional asymmetry of innovative development of small enterprises
The subject of this study is the influence of area factors on the innovation activities of small enterprises. The main theoretical aspects of regional asymmetry of economic development are analyzed. The article presents the author’s method of assessing regional asymmetry of small enterprise innovation development and the mechanism of its diagnostics tested in the case of the regions of the Northwestern Federal District ...
The influence of the transport factor on the investment competitiveness of coastal regions in the European part of Russia.
Given the combination of the basic territorial growth factors, the coastal regions of the European part of Russia, where large urbanized spaces have already been developed or are being developed, are of the greatest potential compared to other regions of the country. It makes perfect sense to set up large economic centers capable of harnessing the benefits of agglomeration and seaside factors in such regions. A tool to improve the level of economic development and investment attractiveness of these regions is the implementation of large trasnsport ...
An economic complexity analysis of the Kaliningrad region: identifying sectoral priorities in the emerging value creation paradigm
... The object of the research is the exclave Kaliningrad region, whose location makes it possible to capture accurate and comprehensive data on international and interregional trade. Based on the EC analysis theory and practice, the study involved the development of methods, algorithms, and software to form a source database and measure economic complexity. The findings may guide the use of EC analyses in regional policies. The article suggests activities for sequential upgrading of the industry in the Kaliningrad region. These activities will facilitate the development of the existing ...
East Baltics: Economic Dilemmas of Security
... of the Baltics, it is advisable to estimate military spending as a proportion of budget revenues rather than that of GDP — this recommendation applies to all smaller states. The authors stress that the central component of any national military and economic development is a focus on general national objectives rather than solely military ones. Economically advanced countries integrate defence spending into their investment and innovation strategies and industrial policies. Smaller countries — and the Baltics ...
The features of choosing an institutional development trajectory in Eastern Europe in the 16th—17th centuries: Moscovy and the Polish — Lithuanian Commonwealth
... the situation in the Polish — Lithuanian Commonwealth, ensured the formation of large and efficient troops. This work contributes to the research on the property rights and Russian economic history.
1. Nunn, N. 2009, The Importance of History for Economic Development, Annual Review of Economics, no. 1, p. 65—92.
2. Greif, A. 1996, Micro Theory and Recent Developments in the Study of Economic Institutions Through Economic History, Stanford Economics Working Paper, no. 96—001, available at: http://www....
The historical aspects and current issues of the development of Russian-Lithuanian economic relations
... (mart 1939 — avgust 1940 gg.) [USSR and Lithuania during the Second World War. USSR and the Republic of Lithuania (March 1939 — August 1940.)], 2006, collection of documents, Part. 1, Vinius.
7. Razvitie jekonomiki respublik Sovetskoj Pribaltiki [Economic development of the Soviet Baltic republics], 1982, Vinius.
8. Berkmanas, E. 1967, Osnovnye cherty jekonomiki burzhuaznoj Litvy [The main features of the economy of bourgeois Lithuania]. In: Litva za polveka novoj epohi [Lithuania for half a century of ...
Statistical analysis of tourism flows between Ukraine and the Baltic Sea Region countries in 2012—2019
... 18, no. 4, p. 123—137. doi:
15. Kropinova, E. G. 2020, Tourism and the Sustainable Development of the Baltic Sea Region. In: Leal Filho, W., Azul, A., Brandli, L., Lange Salvia, A., Wall, T. (eds) Decent Work and Economic Growth. Encyclopedia of the UN Sustainable Development Goals, Springer, Cham. doi:
16. Studzieniecki, T., Jakubowski, A., Meyer, B. 2020, Transnational tourist destination management: a case study of the Baltic Sea Region. Balt. Reg., vol. 12,...
The dynamics of agricultural land use in the North-West of Russia and the Baltic countries
.... Y., 1997.
39. Storper M. The Resurgence of Regional Economies, Ten Years Later: The Region as a Nexus of Untraded Interdependencies // European Urban and Regional Studies. 1995. № 2 (3). P. 191—221. doi: 10.1177/096977649500200301.
40. World Development Report 2009: Reshaping Economic Geography / The World Bank. Washington, 2009. doi: 10.1596/978-0-8213-7640-9.
41. Watts D. J. The «New» Science of Networks // Annual Review of Sociology. 2004. № 30 (1). P. 243—270.
42. Zemtsov S. P., Baburin V. L., Kidyaeva V. M. Innovation ...
Clusters in the system of economic and innovation development of agriculture in the Rostov Region and the Krasnodar Region
... The authors indicate actual vectors of the development process. The obtained results can be used in working out the mechanisms for regional economic policy in the agro-industrial clustering.
Gontar N. V., Gorochnaya V. V.
agricultural sector, economic development, clusters, clustering, Rostov region, Krasnodar region, innovations, globalization, competitiveness, selforganization.
Trends in the development of economic activity in the Kaliningrad region in 1992 – 2010.
The author identifies the periods of foreign economic activity (FEA) development in the Kaliningrad region in 1992-2010 taking into account the effect of economic crisis. The article offers most typical characteristics of each stage, as well as the reasons behind the current trends in foreign trade development. The author ...
Land Use Change and Economics of Land Degradation in the Baltic Region
... N., Mirzabaev, A., Nkonya, E. 2013, The economics of land degradation, ZEF Working paper series, no. 109, Bonn, Germany.
2. Nkonya, E., Anderson, W., Kato, E., Koo, J., Mirzabaev, A., von Braun, J., Meyer, S. 2016. Global cost of land degradation / Economics of Land Degradation and Improvement, A Global Assessment for Sustainable Development Springer International Publishing, p. 117—165.
3. Winthner, T. Tlga, M., Valters, K. 2014, A Bioeconomy for the Baltic Sea Region: mapping fo stakeholders, practices and opportunities, Innogate and Nordic Council of Ministers, available ...
Innovation performance of Russia’s Northwestern regions: a comparative evaluation
Innovative activities underpin the economic development and competitiveness of Russian regions. This article seeks to compare the innovation performance of Russia’s north-western regions, which are among the most progressive in the country, and their available resource. A review of the literature ...
The Institutional Architecture of Territorial Innovative Systems: Towards a Spatially Targeted Regional Policy
12. Barca F., Mccann P., Rodríguez-Pose A. The case for regional development intervention: Place-based versus place-neutral approaches // J. of Regional Science. 2012. № 52 (1). P. 134—152.
13. Boddy M. Technology, innovation, and regional economic development in the state of Victoria // Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy. 2000. № 18 (3). P. 301—319.
14. Bradford N. Place matters and multilevel governance: perspectives on a new urban policy paradigm // Policy Options. 2004. Febr....
Chapters of the institutional economic history of Königsberg/Kaliningrad
... of short essays dedicated to a certain period of the 'popular' socioeconomic history (with a particular focus on the institutional development problems) of the former East Prussia from Antiquity to present days. The authors tackle the issues of the economic history of amber, the role of the Hansa League in the development of medieval trade, the QWERTY-effects in the rail gauge standards, and the peculiarities of the development of the Kaliningrad region in the post-Soviet period
Камни: мистика и реальность....
The influence of the sea on the economic development and settlement structure in the Baltic Sea region
... measured using a combination of theoretical and empirical typologies. An economic, statistical, and cartographic analysis helps to identify a special type of mesoregions — coastal development corridors, which make an important contribution to the economic development and consolidation of the Baltic macroregion. In transnational macroregions, such typological differences must be taken into account in strategic and spatial planning at the intergovernmental level.
1. Alkhimenko, A. P. 1992, Issues of the ...
Evaluating and Measuring the Security of Russia’s Border Regions: Theory and Practice
... methodological approaches and measurement tools. However, economic security has been little studied in the context of border regions. In this article, we address the methodological problems of employing existing methods and models for measuring the economic security of border regions. We pay special attention to the development of an evaluation algorithm incorporating the border regions’ characteristics, the identification of groups (classes), a set of universal, specific, and special indicators as well as the impact of protective measures on economic security....