Coastal agglomerations and the transformation of national innovation spaces
... role of coastal agglomerations in the territorial heterogeneity of the world economy and the global innovation space. I pay particular attention to how proximity to the sea and ocean coasts influences the dynamics of innovation processes. I analyse coastalisation (the movement of economic activity and population to coastal zones) by considering the effects and inland diffusion of the exceptionally high innovative potential of coastal agglomerations. I put forward the hypothesis that coastal agglomerations ...
The coastalisation of population in today’s Russia: A sociogeographical explication
The coastalisation of population is considered as a prolonged, universal, although not a ubiquitous — socio-geographical process. This process is a result of the evolving spatial architecture of countries and regions, a lack of balance between the potential ...
Large business in the coastal zones of Russia: features and factors of localisation
... construction of offshore pipelines, more active offshore oil and gas production, the growing demographic potential of coastal cities, etc. This article aims to explore the localisation of large businesses in Russian coastal zones and to analyse the ‘coastalisation’ of the country’s largest companies. It is shown that ‘coastalisation’ has taken place in forty-two of Russia’s top 100 companies, as rated by the Russian Business Channel. Another objective of the study is to identify large businesses’ ...
Innovative development of Russian coastal regions: north–south divergence
Coastal regions are territorial social systems whose socio-economic and innovative development is strongly influenced by the factor of coastalisation. The effect of movement to the sea determines the dynamics of settlement systems as well as their economic and infrastructure development. This holds for transport, logistics, information and communications, industrial, and other infrastructure....
Russia’s Coastal Zone as a Social and Geographic Phenomenon: Conceptualisation and Delimitation
This article defines coastal zones as a priority subject of studies in social geography and interprets coastalisation of population and economy as a key indicator of the development of a coastal zone. The author stresses the inverted coastalisation in Russia at the macro- and meso-levels and identifies its causes. The article defines the coastal zone as ...
Transboundary Clusters in the Coastal Zones of the European Part of Russia: Inventory, Typology, Factors, and Prospects
4. Strategiya natsional'noi bezopasnosti Rossii [The National Security Strategy of Russia], 2015, Moscow, available at:
Authority/president (accessed 31.08.2017) (in Russ.)
5. Druzhinin, A. G. 2017, The coastalisation of population in today’s Russia: A sociogeographical explication, Balt. Reg., Vol. 9, no. 2, p. 28—43.
6. Druzhinin, A. G. 2016 "Marine component" of Russian social geography: traditions and innovations, Izvestiya RAN. Seriya ...
Coastal and western border centers in the system of large cities of modern Russia: socio-economic and innovation development.
... предпринимательство. 2016. № 3. С. 351—358.
15. Baburin V., Zemtsov S. Innovation geography of Russia // 2012 International Conference on Research Challenges in Social and Human Sciences, South Korea 2012. Jun 11.
16. Druzhinin A. G. The coastalisation of population in today’s Russia: a sociogeographical explication // Baltic Region. 2017. № 2. Р. 19—30.
17. Ershova S., Orlovskaya T. Differentiation of Russian megacities by level of investment in comprehensive residential development ...