Russia’s Coastal Zone as a Social and Geographic Phenomenon: Conceptualisation and Delimitation
This article defines coastal zones as a priority subject of studies in social geography and interprets coastalisation of population and economy as a key indicator of the development of a coastal zone. The author stresses the inverted coastalisation in Russia at the macro- and meso-levels ...
Strategic opportunities for economic development of the Baltic Sea coastal zones and sea industrial and port complexes
Nowadays, one of the principal dimensions in attraction of the world economy structures is coastal territories as spaces where marine potential of a state is most pronounced. In this respect, it is vital to set the priorities of development of coastal zones taking into account the changes in the strategic situation in order to maintain the components of marine potential of the Russian Federation at the level of its national interests. The article aims to develop an indicator system of assessment of ...
Innovative development priorities of the major coastal agglomerations of the European part of Russia
... innovation development dynamics of coastal regions is under the growing influence of the agglomeration factor and the coastalization factor, which results in polarizing the innovation space around large cities and urban agglomerations in the coastal zone. Coastal agglomerations act as drivers for regional development, concentrating a significant part of the population, economic entities, scientific, technological, and financial infrastructure, drawing resources from other municipalities. This makes the ...
Sustainable development of coastal territories as a basis for integrated management of coastal zones
This article provides a detailed definition of the concept of ‘territory capacity’ and its role in the integral management of coastal zones. The term ‘coastal territory’ and its management are considered from the perspective of the Russian and several foreign legislations. Special attention is paid to the concept of sustainable development and the need to apply its key provisions ...
The Coastal Regions of Europe: Economic Development at the Turn of the 20th Century
This article explores the current condition and spatial dynamics of the key socioeconomic processes in the coastal zone of the European subcontinent at the turn of the 20th century. Europe is a region where the “coastal component” of socioeconomic development plays a major role and is therefore one of the most interesting objects for research in this field. Russian ...
The influence of the sea on the economic development and settlement structure in the Baltic Sea region
... 2008, Kontinental'no-okeanicheskaya dikhotomiya v mezhdunarodnom i regional'nom razvitii [Continental-oceanic dichotomy in international and regional development], Novosibirsk. (In Russ.)
6. Bondarenko, V. S. 1981, Economic and geographical study of coastal zones, Vestnik Moskovskogo Universiteta. Seria 5, Geografia, no. 1, p. 77—81. (In Russ.)
7. Gogoberidze, G. G. 2007, Kompleksnoeregionirovanie primorskikh territorii Mirovogo okeana [Complexregion of coastal territories of the World Ocean], St. Petersburg....
Coastal agglomerations and the transformation of national innovation spaces
... the world economy and the global innovation space. I pay particular attention to how proximity to the sea and ocean coasts influences the dynamics of innovation processes. I analyse coastalisation (the movement of economic activity and population to coastal zones) by considering the effects and inland diffusion of the exceptionally high innovative potential of coastal agglomerations. I put forward the hypothesis that coastal agglomerations are the most important transformational elements of a national ...
Saint Petersburg as a Global Coastal City: Positioning in the Baltic Region
... transboundary global city networks demonstrate that global cities are functions of global networks. Saint Petersburg is just starting to integrate into these networks through the Pulkovo airline hub and seaports of Ust-Luga, Primorsk, and Saint Petersburg.
1.Coastal zone management: integrated policies, 1993, OECD, Paris.
2. Green Paper. Towards a Future Maritime Policy for the Union: a European Vision for the Ocean, 2006, COM, no. 275 final, 7.6.2006.
3. Pak, A., Majd F. 2011, Integrated coastal management plan ...
Large business in the coastal zones of Russia: features and factors of localisation
... Kaliningrad where both local (Sodruzhestvo and Avtotor) and interregional/transnational companies (United Shipbuilding Corporation, Gazprom, LUKOIL, etc.) are benefitting from the coastal factor in the socio-economic development.
Druzhinin A. G.
coastal zone, coastal cities, Russia, large business, maritime complex, regional development, Baltic region
The coastalisation of population in today’s Russia: A sociogeographical explication
... coastalisation of population in the Kaliningrad and Leningrad regions and Saint Petersburg. The author argues that against the background of increasing socioeconomic risks — particularly due to the change in Russia’s geostrategic priorities — the coastal zones remain crucial to the new configuration of the country’s settlement system.
1. Kasanko, M., Barredo, J. I., Lavalle, C., McCormick, N., Demicheli, L., Sagris, V., Brezger, A. 2006, Are European Cities Becoming Dispersed? A Comparative Analysis ...
Typoligocal diversity of the strongholds of Russian coastal borderlands: (theoretical and conceptual aspect)
... framework of the conceptual development of the "strongholds of coastal borderlands", understood as a special socio-geographical (economic-geographical and, at the same time, geo-economic, geopolitical) compact formation in the structure of the coastal zone. The essential features of the "strongholds" are identified, including its "focus", "amphibian", contact, cross-border nature, compatibility of structural elements, priority of infrastructure functions, conjugation ...
Localization of large business in coastal zones as a factor of transboundary clustering (on the example of the European part of Russia)
The factors and features of localization of large business interests in 14 European coastal regions of Russia are analyzed. It is shown that the interest of large business in the coastal zones is commonly associated with the concentration of large oil and gas fields (on the shelf and in the coastal zone), with the logistics tasks (export-import operations), and (to a lesser extent, mainly Black Sea coast) with the implementation of certain ...
Transboundary Clusters in the Coastal Zones of the European Part of Russia: Inventory, Typology, Factors, and Prospects
This article presents an inventory and a typology of the existing and emerging economic clusters in the coastal zone of the European part of Russia. The authors hold that transboundary clustering takes priority in the Baltic coastal region — nine of the 56 clusters identified are located in the Kaliningrad region and another eight in Saint Petersburg and the ...
Coastal zone as an object of environmental law
This article analyses the condition of the legal regulation of coastal zone social relations in the current legislation of Russia and other countries.
кодекс РФ. Проект общей части / отв. ред. А.
К. Щукин. СПб., 2001.
Suspended Particulate Matter Distribution Along the Northern Coast of the Kaliningrad Peninsula
... impact and by the natural features of the Baltic Sea, namely, the high levels of eutrophication and complicated sedimentation conditions. The study area is human-occupied, which contributes to the significance of the findings for sustainable nature, and coastal zone, management. The main aim of this research is to study the spatial distribution variability of suspended particulate matter north of the Kaliningrad Peninsula — in the southeastern Baltic Sea — to gain a better understanding of sedimentation ...
Marine Spatial Planning: Theoretical Aspects
... as a complex of analyses, calculations, and evaluations aimed to prove feasibility of economic activities and contribute to their development in a certain part of a sea or an ocean. A most likely comprehensive MSP object is an integrated segment of coastal/marine area. Consisting of a marine part and a coastal area, such segments are a product of zoning. In this article, I explore the key MSP stages — from identifying the panning object to evaluating the natural resource potential and performing ...
Approaches to the Definition of the Baltic Sea Region
... i regional'nom razvitii [Continental-oceanic dichotomy in international and regional development], Novosibirsk, 369 p. (In Russ.)
3. Druzhinin A. G., Lachininsky S. S., Krasnov A. I., Sorokin I. S., 2016, Polarization of the settlement system in the coastal zone of the Leningrad Region in 1989—2015, Izvestiya vysshikh uchebnykh zavedenii. Severo-Kavkazskii region. Seriya: estestvennye nauki [News of higher educational institutions. North-Caucasian region. Series: natural sciences], no. 3 (191), p. 58—65....
The border of the open sea in accordance with hydro-chemical data in summer-autumn 2006
... морей и океанов: материалы XVII Международной научной конференции (Школы) по морской геологии. Т. 2 / ИО РАН. М., 2007.
Chugaevich B. I.
coastal barrier zones, experiment works, statistic analysis.
Suspended particulate matter within the Kaliningrad coastal zone: distribution, transport, composition
The coastal zone of the Kaliningrad region is an especially sensitive marine area which includes recreation areas, natural heritage sites, construction sites and zones of both abrasion and accumulation. Thus, it requires monitoring and control of core environmental ...
Information metabolism and innovation dynamics in the Rostov agglomeration: the role of the coastal factor and economic clustering
... Figueiredo D. Québec' coastal maritime cluster: Its impact on regional economic development, 2001—2011 // Marine Policy. 2016. № 71. P. 201— 209. Doi: 10.1016/j.marpol.2016.05.028.
26. Druzhinin A.G., Fedorov G.M., Mikhaylov A.S. et al. Typology of coastal zones in the European part of Russia: modern particularities within the trend of cross-border clustering // Journal of Applied Economic Sciences. 2017. Vol. 12. № 5 (51). P. 1451—1460.
27. Druzhinin A.G., Gorochnaya V.V., Mikhaylov A.S. et al. Trans-aquatorial ...
Sustainable tourism as an alternative development path for coastal towns: The case of the Kaliningrad region
....shtml (дата обращения: 11.09.2013).
11. Хорев Б. С. Проблемы городов. Урбанизация и единая система расселения в СССР. М., 1975. С. 144—151.
12. The Situation in Europe's Coastal Zones. URL: http://europa.eu.int/comm/ environment/iczm/situation.htm (дата обращения: 20.09.2013).
13. World Tourism Organization UNWTO. URL: http://sdt. unwto. org/en (дата обращения: 20.03.2013).
Kropniva E., Belova A....
Contribution of German, Soviet, and Russian researchers to the study of the Sambia peninsula coast
The level of economic activities in the coastal zone of the Sambia Peninsula once again necessitates a comprehensive study of its coastal zone transformation. This problem, alongside those of relief formation in the coastal and nearshore zones, has been addressed by several generations of German, Soviet,...
The Kaliningrad Region as a coastal border region of Russia
... развитие регионов российско-белорусского приграничья / ред. А. П. Катровский, Ю. П. Ковалев. Смоленск, 2017.
31. Druzhinin A. G., Fedorov G. M., Gontar N. V. et al. Typology of coastal zones in the European Part of Russia: Modern Particularities within the Trend of Cross-Border Clustering // Journal of Applied Economic Sciences. 2017. Vol. 12, Iss. 5 (51). P. 1451—1460.
Fedorov G. M.
the Kaliningrad region, coastal regions, border ...
Deformations of the marinve coastline of the Curonian spit (South-Eastern Baltic Sea) during autumn-winter season of 2018—2019
... from 1 to 4.7 m), as well as in the root section, where the foredune broke through and the adjacent territory was flooded. The zone between these parts of the spit proved to be relatively stable for 20 km. The values of the storm deformation of the coast ... ... 15—19 m, respectively, at the border with Lithuania. The beach is the highest (2—2.5 m) and widest (up to 60 m) on stable coastal areas in the middle of the surveyed section of the spit. The storm of 2019 and its aftermath are very similar to the storm ...
A study into the dynamics of the Baltic Sea coastal zone using satellite images
The changes in the total area of the coastal zone were estimated on four test sites in 1979-2010. The author emphasizes the domination of abrasive processes over accumulative ones. The total area of losses ranges from 4 to 50 ha per year against the background of a 2 – 21 ha annual accumulation....
Shore ground monitoring methodology
... Semlands. 11 Brüsterort, 111 Palmnicken // Schr. der Physik-ökonom. Ges. zu Königsberg. Jg. LIV. Leipzig ; Berlin, 1913. S. 119—144.
19. Kobelyanskaya J., Bobykina V. P., Piekarek-Jankowska H. Morphological and lithodynamic conditions in the marine coastal zone of the Vistula Spit (Gulf of Gdansk, Baltic Sea) // Oceanologia. 2011. № 53 (4). P. 1—17.
20. Łabuz T. A., Grunewald R., Bobykina V. et al. Coastal dunes of the Baltic Sea shores: a review // Quaestiones Geographicae. 2018. Vol. 37, iss. 1. ...
Three-dimensional computational modelling of water cooling over the coastal slope: a comparison of hydrostatic and non-hydrostatic solutions
This article addresses the structure and dynamics of current and temperature fields in the coastal zone of a large water body generated by seasonal variations of heat-exchange conditions at the water surface. Numerical solutions of three-dimensional hydrostatic and non-hydrostatic models MIKE3-FlowModel in shallow and deep parts of the basin are compared....
The use and environmental state of the Curonian Lagoon and its coastal zones
The waters of the Curonian Lagoon and the contiguous coastal area are linked together by both the environment and economic activities. Regional planning considers water and coastal areas as separate phenomena that lack a common management system. However, this approach is poorly applicable to the Curonian ...
Human Resource Efficiency as a Development Factor for the Kaliningrad Economy
... Kaliningradskoj oblasti (SJeZ «Jantar'»). Postanovlenie Sovmina RSFSR ot 25.09.91 №497 [The position of the free economic zone in the Kaliningrad region (SEZ "Yantar"). Resolution of the Council of Ministers of the RSFSR of 25.09.91 №497],... ... Fedorov, G., Korneevets, V., Zverev, Yu. 2011, Kaliningrad oblast of Russia in the transborder region South-Eastern Baltic, Coastal Regions, no. 19, 68 p.
human resources, economic development, economic and demographic relations, Kaliningrad ...
Innovative development of rural settlements of the Leningrad region
... systems or innovative regions? Evidence from Italy // Tijdschrift Voor Economische En Sociale Geografie. 2017. № 108 (2). P. 234—249. doi: 10.1111/tesg.12217.
6. Druzhinin A. G., Gorochnya V. V., Gontar N. V. et al. Transboundary clusters in the coastal zones of the European part of Russia: inventory, typology, factors, and prospects // Baltic Region. 2017. № 9 (4). P. 21—32. doi: 10.5922/2079-8555-2017-4-2.
7. Florida R. The Geography of Innovation. 2017. URL://
The modern concept of coast protection and hydraulic engineering on the sea coasts of the Kaliningrad region
... Kaliningrad region. It is stressed that the critical condition of hydraulic structures hampers effective protection of the seacoast. The modern concept of sea protection suggests that coast protection structures must con-trol the movement of deposits in the coastal zone to preserve and restore the beach strip as a basic element of coast protection.
1. Žaromskis R. Skirtingos žmonių veiklos poveiris pietryčių Baltios krantų raidai // Geografijos metraštis. 2001. Nr. 34 (1). S. 59—72.
2. Arbomeit J., Bock ...
Kaliningrad region: coastal position as a geographical factor of economic development
... на развитие экономики и расселения стран Балтийского региона // Балтийский регион. 2017. Т. 9, № 2. С. 7—27.
30. Druzhinin A. G., Fedorov G. M., Gontar N. V. et al. Typology of coastal zones in the European Part of Russia: Modern Particularities within the Trend of Cross-Border Clustering // Journal of Applied Economic Sciences. 2017. Vol. 12, iss. 5 (51). P. 1451—1460.
31. Kivikari U. A Growth Triangle as an Application of the Northern ...
Geosituational Modelling of Coastal Marine Systems
The article summarizes years of experience of geosituational modelling of coastal marine systems in the Baltic Sea region and adjacent territories. Kaliningrad universities and academic institutions have done extensive research on the diversity of approaches and models of the regional geosituations as well as on identifying ...
Baltic Cooperation in Marine Spatial Planning
... spatial planning is a relatively new area of cooperation in the Baltic Sea region — a site of long-term joint efforts towards environmental protection and sustainable development. At the beginning of the 21st century, the integrated management of coastal zones and marine spatial planning emerged as a new area of international cooperation. Despite intensive theoretical work on the mentioned concepts, the development of a harmonised spatial planning in the Baltic Sea region is complicated by the complex ...
Construction works impact on the vegetation in the сoastal zone of the Pregolya river in Kaliningrad
... the composition of the Pregolya water eco-systems in the city of Kaliningrad due to the anthropogenic transformation of the coastal area from 2013 to 2018. The work identifies the modern structure of the Pregolya eco-systems. The research included standard ... ... are named in the traditions of the dominant system. It is established that the total number of species in the direct impact zone and downstream has remained the same. However, the structure of plant communities and their species composition has changed....
Variability of climatic characteristics оver the South-East Baltic coastal waters in the early XXI century
... № 128. P. 139—171.
9. Michalska B. Tendencje zmian temperatury powietrza w Polsce // Prace i Studia Geograficzne. 2011. Vol. 47. P. 67—75.
10. Tylkowski J. Temporal and spatial variability of air temperature and precipitation at the Polish coastal zone of the southern Baltic Sea // Baltica. 2013. Vol. 26, № 1. P. 83—94.
11. Ерёмина Т. Р., Исаев А. В., Рябченко В. А. Оценка и прогноз тенденций в эволюции экосистемы восточной ...
Coastal and recreation landscape of Kaliningrad: modern potential and prospects for spatial development
The authors have conducted a comprehensive assessment of Kaliningrad suburban areas and identified the coastal landscape and recreation area within the ring road impact. Comprehensive analysis resulted in the typology of internal areas considering how favorable they can be for further recreation and tourism development. The article brings about certain ...
Key Strategies of Development of Research Tools and Methods for Marine Spatial Planning
... and regional socio-economic policy], no. 10, p. 32—45.
9. Konovalov, A. M. 2011, Primorskie territorii — osobyj placdarm [Coastal territory — a special foothold], Morskaja politika Rossii [Russian Maritime Policy], March-April.
10. Fetisov, G. G.... ... ocean biological resources as economic problems], Мoscow, Nauka.
12. Konovalov, A. 2010, Transportation Network in the Arctic Zone of the Russian Federation. In: Zagorsky, A. V. (ed.), The Arctic: A Space of Cooperation and Common Security, Moscow, IMEMO ...
The development of Kaliningrad regional economy: A new stage of restructuring
... Fedorov, G. 2011, La region de Kaliningrad, future “couloirs de developpement”,Agir, no. 45, Fevrier, p. 97—110.
20. Fedorov, G., Korneyevets, V., Zverev, Yu. 2011, Кaliningrad oblast of Russia
in the transborder region South-Eastern Baltic, Coastal Regions, no. 19, 68 p.
Gimbitsky K. K., Kuznetsova A. L., Fedorov G. M.
Kaliningrad region, special economic zone, economy restructuring, regional development strategy
Inertial oscillations induced by the propagation of the Vis-tula Lagoon waters in the coastal zone of the Southeastern Baltic Sea
A mathematical model of the mechanism of anti-symmetric vortex at the confluence of fresh water to sea water, observed, in particular, the output of the Baltic Canal connecting Visla Lagoon to the Baltic Sea is constructed. It is shown in particular that the main reason the vortex formation in this case is the Coriolis force. Also analytically calculate the exact dependence of circula-tion rates from time to time for the three simplest forms of "language" of the intrusion of fresh water...
On the Western border of the Zedmar culture
... tribes of the Primorskaya Corded Ware Culture. It does not exclude that their predecessors could have lived on the territory in the early and middle Neolithic. Although the antiquities described below are not numerous, they represent a rare case of a coastal zone populated by groups, which have been traditionally associated with the inland territories of the Baltic.
1. Ванкина Л. В. Торфяниковая стоянка Сарнате. Рига, 1970.
2. Гирининкас А. Крятуонас....
The Evolution, or Seasonal and Interannual Variability, of the Diurnal Variation of Hydrometeorological Fields in the Southern Baltic Sea
... speed W. The data were obtained by a Mini- KRAMS-4 hydrometeorological facility installed within Russia’s exclusive economic zone in the southeastern Baltic Sea on the LUKOIL-KMN (D6) offshore ice-resistant fixed platform and at MARNET monitoring stations ... ... 2009.
15. Mingelaite T., Rukseniene V., Dailidiene I. Long and Short Term Variability of the Main Physical Parameters in the Coastal Area of the SE Baltic Proper. // EGU GeneralAssembly 2015. held 12—17 April. 2015 in Vienna, Austria. Vienna, 2015.
Application of the gravimetric method in the study of paleoincisions on the territory of the Kaliningrad region
... paper summarizes the results of gravity surveys conducted across two palaeoincisions cut into the sub-Quaternary surface in the coastal area of the Kaliningrad region near Svetlogorsk. Strong local negative anomalies caused by the palaeoincisions are observed ... ... Søndergaard V. H., Sørensen K. I. Hydro-geological mapping as a basis for establishing site-specific groundwater protection zones in Denmark // Hydrogeology Journal. 2004. № 12. P. 550—562.
19. Гравиметрическая карта: Северо-Западный ...
The project "Greater Eurasia" among the factors of development of the exclave of the Kaliningrad region
... region makes it difficult to justify a long-term strategy of its socio-economic development. Most of the previously developed strategies were based on export and / or import-substitution, proceeding from the advantageous geographical position in the coastal zone and the region’s proximity to economically developed countries and Russian regions. Deterioration of political relations and the weakening of socio-economic ties between Russia and the West diminished chances of implementing this type of strategy....
The current state of the climate system of the Kaliningrad region and global warming
... за 2015 год. М., 2016.
22. Bielecka M., Chubarenko B., Margonski P., Rusinski G. The Vistula Lagoon (Poland-Russia): facts and figures // Lagoons Technical Brief (Deliverable series of the FP7 Project LAGOONS «Integrated water resources and coastal zone management in European lagoons in the context of climate change»). 2012. Iss. TB1.
23. Специализированные массивы для климатических исследований. URL: http://aisori.meteo.ru/ClimateR (дата ...