Saint Petersburg as a Global Coastal City: Positioning in the Baltic Region
... Taylor and Saskia Sassen’s classification identifies higher status cities and ‘global cities’, which are to be considered in the global context. Seven coastal regions are distinguished within this region, whose organising centers are the global coastal cities of Stockholm, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Riga, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, and Malmö. The concept of a “global city-region” (Sassen) can be used as a methodological framework for analyzing this connection. Within this hierarchy, the dominant alpha ...
Innovative development priorities of the major coastal agglomerations of the European part of Russia
The innovation development dynamics of coastal regions is under the growing influence of the agglomeration factor and the coastalization factor, which results in polarizing the innovation space around large cities and urban agglomerations in the coastal zone. Coastal agglomerations act as drivers for regional development, concentrating a significant part of the population, economic entities, scientific, technological, and financial infrastructure, drawing resources from other municipalities....
Russia’s Coastal Zone as a Social and Geographic Phenomenon: Conceptualisation and Delimitation
... geografiya: ponyatiya i terminy [Socio-Economic Geography: the concepts and terms], Smolensk, 328 p.
24. Anikeev, V. V. 2012, Gradostroitel'nye aspekty razvitiya primorskikh sistem rasseleniya na baze portovykh gorodov [Town planning aspects of the coastal settlement systems on the basis of port cities], Vestnik Inzhenernoy shkoly Dal'nevostochnogo federal'nogo universiteta, no. 2, p. 45—53.
25. Aybulatov, N. A. 1989, Geoekologiya beregovoy zony morya [Geoecology of the coastal zone of the sea]. In: Problemy razvitiya morskikh beregov [Problems ...
The influence of the sea on the economic development and settlement structure in the Baltic Sea region
... to interpret sustainability in the Mediterranean. In: Xuereb, P. G. (ed.) The Mediterranean's European challenge. Msida, Vol. 5, The European Union and the Mediterranean, p. 611—628.
37. Hynes, S., Farrelly, N. 2012, Defining standard statistical coastal regions for Ireland, Marine Policy, Vol. 36, no. 2, p. 393—404.
38. Kasanko, M., Barredo, J. I., Lavalle, C. et al. 2006, Are European Cities Becoming Dispersed? A Comparative Analysis of Fifteen European Urban Areas, Landscape and Urban Planning, Vol. 77, no. 1—2, p. 111—130.
39. Kildow, J. T., McIlgorm, A. 2010, The importance of estimating the contribution of the oceans to national ...
Coastal and western border centers in the system of large cities of modern Russia: socio-economic and innovation development.
... peer-reviewed journals, indexed in Scopus) the study confirmed the hypothesis on ‘coastalizing’ socio-economic and innovative potential and advanced growth of coastal centers. At the same time, there is also a high differentiation within the group of coastal cities, indicating that such trends are valid only at the national level. Differentiation and the gap on a number of indicators are fixed with respect to the group of Western Russian cities located in the border regions. It refutes the hypothesis on their ...
Coastal agglomerations and the transformation of national innovation spaces
... coastal agglomerations under the influence of the agglomerative and coastal factors. The result of this study is a comparison and assessment of the mutual influence of the two effects of spatial development that translate into the unique identity of coastal zone cities: urbanisation and coastalisation.
Mikhaylov, A. S.
innovation space, coastal agglomeration, innovation diffusion, innovation geography, urbanization, coastalisation
The coastalisation of population in today’s Russia: A sociogeographical explication
....2017). (In Russ.)
39. Forecast of long-term socio-economic development of the Russian Federation until 2030, 2013, Moscow, available atL
(accessed 07.01.2017). (In Russ.)
Druzhinin A. G.
coastal cities, population change, maritime complex, cross-border contacts, Russia
Large business in the coastal zones of Russia: features and factors of localisation
... projects of large businesses. This change manifests itself in the development of port and logistics complexes, the port industry, the construction of offshore pipelines, more active offshore oil and gas production, the growing demographic potential of coastal cities, etc. This article aims to explore the localisation of large businesses in Russian coastal zones and to analyse the ‘coastalisation’ of the country’s largest companies. It is shown that ‘coastalisation’ has taken place in forty-two of ...
The Coastal Regions of Europe: Economic Development at the Turn of the 20th Century
This article explores the current condition and spatial dynamics of the key socioeconomic processes in the coastal zone of the European subcontinent at the turn of the 20th century. Europe is a region where the “coastal component” of socioeconomic development plays a major role and is therefore one of the most interesting objects for research in this field....
The coastal factor in spatial development programmes for the municipalities of the Kaliningrad region
... development of the region. Created in the Soviet period, the backbone of local maritime activities is highly polarized along the coastline of the region. Similarly polarized along the coastline is the settlement system, which incorporates both the growing cities of the Kaliningrad agglomeration and areas of low population density, the latter located primarily along the bays. These circumstances determine what effect the coastal factor has on the socio-economic development of a certain municipality in the Kaliningrad region. We believe that the municipalities that use this factor to a limited degree do not fully realise the potential of their geographical location. ...
Coastal location as a development factor of the cities in the Baltic region
... countries. The dependence of the popultaion dynamics on the coastal location of the city is studied with the reference to the methods of statistical and cartographic analysis. The authors have drawn the conclusion about a potentially higher ranking of coastal cities as centers of attraction for the population (primarily located at a distance of up to 50 km from the sea).
1. Winters J. V. Why are smart cities growing? Who moves and who stays // Journal of Regional Science. 2011. Vol. 51, № 2. P. 253—270....
Transboundary Clusters in the Coastal Zones of the European Part of Russia: Inventory, Typology, Factors, and Prospects
This article presents an inventory and a typology of the existing and emerging economic clusters in the coastal zone of the European part of Russia. The authors hold that transboundary clustering takes priority in the Baltic coastal region — nine of the 56 clusters identified are located in the Kaliningrad region and another eight in Saint Petersburg ...
Сoastal exclaves among enclosed territories of the world
(дата обращения: 24.04.2018).
37. Angola: Provinces, Major Cities & Localities // City Population. URL:
(дата обращения: 24.... ... Балтийский регион. 2015. № 4 (26). С. 121—134.
Zverev Yu. M.
enclave territories, enclave, exclave, coastal exclave, typology of enclave territories.
Sustainable tourism as an alternative development path for coastal towns: The case of the Kaliningrad region
... environment/iczm/situation.htm (дата обращения: 20.09.2013).
13. World Tourism Organization UNWTO. URL: http://sdt. unwto. org/en (дата обращения: 20.03.2013).
Kropniva E., Belova A., Afanasyeva E.
tourism, sustainable urban development, coastal cities, border area, typology, evaluation of prospects, Kaliningrad/Vistula Lagoon.
Opportunities for sustainable economic development of the coastal territories of the Baltic Sea Region in the context of digital transformation
... of Region], no. 15 (1), p. 137—150. doi 10.17059/2019-1-11 (In Russ.)
5. Druzhinin, A. G. 2020, The strongholds of Russian coastal borderlands: economic dynamics amid geopolitical turbulence. Balt. Reg. 2020. vol. 12, no. 3, p. 89—104. doi: 10.5922/2079-8555-2020-3-6.... ....3390/su12010435.
35. Gonzalez-Garcia, S., Manteiga, R., Moreira, M. T., Feijoo, G. 2018, Assessing the sustainability of Spanish cities considering environmental and socio-economic indicators, Journal of Cleaner Production, no. 178, p. 599—610. doi: 10....
Innovative development of rural settlements of the Leningrad region
... Sikora-Fernandez D. Smarter cities in post-socialist country: example of Poland // Cities. 2018. № 78. P. 52—59. doi: doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2018.03.011.
22. Sun Y. Spatial distribution of patents in China // Regional Studies. 2000. № 34. P. 441—454. doi: ... ... 681—695. doi: doi.org/10.1068/c0961.
Lachininskii S. S., Mikhaylova A. A., Sorokin I. S.
rural areas, agglomeration factor, coastal zone, urbanization, innovation diffusion.
Modern understanding of ‘geoeconomic position’ and the Saint Petersburg agglomeration
... geoeconomic position of the coastal region, but also to describe the contiguous geoeconomic space. The position of the St. Petersburg coastal region is of crucial importance for ensuring a steady growth of regional economy, the propagation of industrialization ... ... geografii [Questions of geography], no. 38, p. 105—130.
6. Lappo, G. M. 1997, Geografija gorodov [The Geografiya of the cities], Moscow.
7. Artobolevsky, S. S. 2012, Tochka zrenija: Rossijskaja regional'naja politika:modernizacija ili deformacija ...
Approaches to the Definition of the Baltic Sea Region
... Region (EUSBSR), Journal of Baltic Studies, Special Issue, p. 1—15.
49. Moilannen, T., Rainisto, S. 2008, How to Brand Nations, Cities and Destinations: A Planning Book for Place Destination, New York, Palgrave Mcmillan, 202 p.
50. Olejniczak, K. 2008, Mechanizmy ... ... Studium ewaluacji średniookresowych INTERREG III, Warszawa, Wydawnictwo Naukowe Scholar.
51. Pak, A., Majd, F. 2011, Integrated coastal management plan in free trade zones, a case study, Ocean and Coastal Management, no. 54, p. 129—136.
52. Paliepa, J....
The role of International trade in improving the competitiveness of Saint Petersburg
... identities, constructed, imagined and experienced, London, 269 p.
8. Moilanen, T., Rainisto, S. 2008, How to brand nations, cities and destinations: A planning book for place branding, London, 188 p.
9. Bazhenov, Yu. N., Nikulchenkov, K. E. 2009, Competitiveness ... ... Economy], no. 1 (93), p. 203—209. (in Russ.)
31. Fedorov, G. M., Korneevets, V. S. 2015, Socioeconomic typology of Russia’s coastal regions, Balt. Reg., Vol. 7, no. 4, p. 89—101. DOI: 10.5922/2079- 8555-2015-4-7.
32. Shastitko, A. Е., Golovanova, ...
Changes in the Population Distribution and Transport Network of Saint Petersburg
... show that Saint Petersburg is at the final stage of urbanization and its development pattern is similar to that of other major cities.
1. Druzhinin, A. G. 2014, Mother countries and metropolisation in contemporary Russia: conceptual approaches in political ... ..., Semenova, I. V. 2015, Sankt-Peterburgskij primorskij region: geoehkonomicheskaya transformaciya territorii [St. Petersburg coastal region:geo-economic transformation of the territory], St. Petersburg. (In Russ.)
3. Database of indicators of municipalities ...
Key Strategies of Development of Research Tools and Methods for Marine Spatial Planning
... izucheniju proizvoditel'nyh sil (SOPS).
2. Baturova, G. V. 2011, Regional'nye morehozjajstvennye klastery kak osnova social'no-jekonomicheskogo razvitija primorskih territorij [Regional marine economic clusters as a basis of socio-economic development of coastal areas]. In: Zhyharevych, B. S. (ed.). Strategicheskoe planirovanie v regionah i gorodah Rossii. Doklady uchastnikov IX Obshherossijskogo foruma «Strategicheskoe planirovanie v regionah i gorodah Rossii» [Strategic planning in the regions and cities of Russia. Reports the IX All-Russian Forum "Strategic planning in the regions and cities of Russia"], St. Petersburg, Leont'evskij centr, p. 115—119.
3. Belousov, A. R. 2006, Scenarii social'no-jekonomicheskogo razvitija Rossii na ...
Similarities and differences in curricula of a bachelor’s degree in oceanology at the universities in St Petersburg, Klaipeda, and Kaliningrad
... Equations in Biology. Lectures on models], Moscow, MIR, 397 p.
18. Mikhajlichenko, Yu. G. 2009, Morskie resursy poberezh'ja [Coastal marine resources], Gosudarstvennoe upravlenie resursami [Public Resource Management], no. 11, pp. 26—35.
19. Mikhajlichenko,... ... Doklady uchastnikov IX Obwerossijskogo Foruma liderov strategicheskogo planirovanija [Strategic planning in the regions and cities of Russia: a strategy of modernization and upgrading strategies. Reports of the IX All-Russia Forum of Strategic Planning ...
Construction works impact on the vegetation in the сoastal zone of the Pregolya river in Kaliningrad
The article focuses on changes in the composition of the Pregolya water eco-systems in the city of Kaliningrad due to the anthropogenic transformation of the coastal area from 2013 to 2018. The work identifies the modern structure of the Pregolya eco-systems. The research included standard methods of studying the aquatic vegetation. The lower current of the river Pregolya within the Kaliningrad city borders ...
Geography of inbound tourism and transboundary tourism-and-recreation region-building in Sweden
... instrument for the protection of outdoor recreation, Journal of Outdoor Recreation and Tourism, no. 5—6, p. 37—47. doi: 10.1016/j.jort.2014.03.003.
10. Lindström, K. N., Larson, M. 2016, Community-based tourism in practice: evidence from three coastal communities in Bohuslän, Sweden, Bulletin of Geography. Socio-economic Series, no. 33, p. 71–78. doi: 10.1515/bog-2016-0025.
11. Farsari, I. 2018, A structural approach to social representations of destination collaboration in Idre, Sweden,...
Foreign economic activity of Saint Petersburg, the Leningrad Region, and the Republic of Karelia: problems and opportunities for development
... Federation], Regional'naja jekonomika: teorija i praktika, no. 25, p. 27—34.
2. Dvorcova, E. N. 2011, Otechestvennyj i zarubezhnyj opyt upravlenija hozjajstvom pribrezhnyh territorij [National and international experience of economic management of coastal areas], Menedzhment v Rossii i za rubezhom, no. 2, p. 48—55.
3. Pahomov, A. 2010, Strategija razvitija vneshnejekonomicheskogo kompleksa Rossijskoj Federacii [The development strategy of foreign economic complex of the
Russian Federation], Problemy ...
Monotowns: A New Take on the Old Problem
... professionalov [Verdict of professionals], 2009, Terra Sapiens [Terra Sapiens. Scientific Newsletter of the Union of Russian science cities], no. 1 (8), May, p. 4.
6. Gureeva, М. А. 2011, Jekonomicheskie problemy monogorodov v uslovijah mirovogo finansovogo ... ... 78—89.
32. Barnes, T. J., Hayter, R. 1994, Economic Restructuring, Local Development and Resource Towns: Forest Communities in Coastal British Columbia, The Canadian Journal of Regional Science, Vol.17. no. 3, p. 289—310.
33. Mawhiney, A.-M., Pitblado,...
Natural Increase in the Baltic South and South-West
... health problems of the former Soviet part of Baltic Europe // Baltic Europe on the Eve of Third Millenium. Published series: Coastal Regions 3 / ed. J. Wendt. Gdańsk, 2001. P. 113—119.
34. Michalski T. Procesy demograficzne w Europie Bałtyckiej ... ... Debrecen, 2006. Р. 137—142.
50. Rauglaudre P. de. Russophones in Latvia: a geopolitical approach // Multicultural Regions and Cities. Region and Regionalism / eds. M. Koter, K. Heffner.1999. № 4. P. 56—62.
51. Rudeliūnienė I. Moters vaidmens ir ...
Development of Sea Port in Gdynia
.... Bocheński, T., Palmowski, T. 2015, Polskie porty morskie i rola kolei w ich obsłudze na przełomie XX i XXI wieku [Polish Seaports and Role of Railways in Transport Service of Port Hinterland at Turn of XX and XXI Centuries], Regiony Nadmorskie [Coastal Regions], no. 23, p. 7—198.
4. Chang, H-J. 2002, Breaking the mould: an institutionalist political economy alternative to the neo-liberal theory of the market and the state, Cambridge Journal of Economics, Vol. 26, no. 5, p. 539—559.
On the international cooperation of North-West Russia in the field of innovations in the Baltic
... eu/fi/teemat/cross-border-solutions/hankkeet/154-complex-development-of-regional-cooperation-in-the-field-of-open-ict-innovations (accessed 17 September 2012).
22. Green cities and settlements — Sustainable spatial development in remote border areas, KARELIA ENPI CBC, available at: http://www.... ... Programmes, available at: http://www. territorialcooperation. eu/frontpage/show/6457 (accessed 16 September 2012).
26. Project — Coastal environment, technology and innovation in the Arctic, KEEP Knowledge and Expertise in European Programmes, available at: ...