Strategic opportunities for economic development of the Baltic Sea coastal zones and sea industrial and port complexes
... economic potential], Ekonomicheskie strategii, no. 8, p. 150—155.
2. Gogoberidze, G. G. 2008, Indikatornye metody kak instrument kompleksnogo analiza i ocenki primorskih territorij [Indicator as an instrument of a comprehensive analysis and assessment of coastal areas], Vestnik INZhEKONA, Ser. Ekonomika, no. 3, Saint-Petersburg State University of Engineering and Economic, p. 142—151.
3. Gogoberidze, G. G. 2007, Kompleksnoe regionirovanie primorskih territorij Mirovogo okeana [Integrated regionirovanie coastal ...
Russia’s Coastal Zone as a Social and Geographic Phenomenon: Conceptualisation and Delimitation
... coastal zones in Western Europe and European Russia: the delimitation and management], PhD Thes., Moscow, 25 p.
27. Arzamastsev, I. S. 2009, Prirodopol'zovanie v pribrezhnykh zonakh: osnovnye ponyatiya, zonirovanie i problemy upravleniya [Nature in coastal areas: basic concepts, zoning and management problems], Tamozhennaya politika Rossii na Dal'nem Vostoke, no. 4, p. 76—89.
28. Gogoberidze, G. G., Lednova, Yu. A. 2014, Vozmozhnosti primeneniya KUPZ i printsipov morskogo prostranstvennogo planirovaniya ...
The influence of the sea on the economic development and settlement structure in the Baltic Sea region
... diversity in coastal Lebanon: A landscape approach, Journal of Marine and Island Cultures, Vol. 1, no. 1, p. 27—37.
43. Metchnikoff, L. 1889, La civilisationet les grands fleuveshistoriques.
44. Nicholls, R. J., Wong, P. P., Burkett, V. R. et al. 2007, Coastal systems and low-lying areas. Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability. Contribution of Portnews, available at:
45. Pullen, J., Ching, J., Sailor D. et al. 2008,...
The Coastal Regions of Europe: Economic Development at the Turn of the 20th Century
... Arakelov, M. S., Ghoghoberidze, G. G., Zhmoyda et al. Upravlenie razvitiem i geojekologicheskoe rajonirovanie territorial'nyh rekreacionnyh sistem v pribrezhnyh zonah [Management of development and geo-ecological zoning of territorial recreation systems in coastal areas], St. Petersburg.
4. Bezrukov, L. А. 2006, Kontinental'no-okeanicheskaja dihotomija v mezhdunarodnom i regional'nom razvitii [Continental-oceanic dichotomy in the international and regional development], doctoral dissertation thesis, Irkutsk. ...
Saint Petersburg as a Global Coastal City: Positioning in the Baltic Region
The Baltic region consists of coastal areas of nine countries — Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, and Finland. The region’s hubs are the port cities located along the Baltic Sea coast. However, Peter Taylor and Saskia Sassen’s classification identifies ...
The coastalisation of population in today’s Russia: A sociogeographical explication
... of balance between the potential of leading cities, economic and settlement projections of global geoecological, geo-economic, and geopolitical processes, the scale and effect of transnational and transboundary contracts, and the changing images of coastal areas. This article analyses the trend towards the ‘drift’ of the demographic potential from the inland territories to the coastal periphery, which has been observed in Russia for centuries. A vast body of empirical data and statistics is used to ...
The coastal factor in spatial development programmes for the municipalities of the Kaliningrad region
Mikhaylov A. S., Mikhaylova A. A., Kuznetsova T. Y. Coastalization effect and spatial divergence: segregation of European regions // Ocean & Coastal Management. 2018. Vol. 161. Р. 57—65.
Gumenyuk I. S., Gumenyuk L. G., Belov N. S.
coastal location, coastal areas, maritime activities, municipalities, Kaliningrad region, microgeography
A study into the passive tracer and Lagrangian particles propagation in the coastal area of South-East Baltic
This paper studies the passive tracer and Lagrange particle propagation in the coastal area of South-East Baltic using hydrodynamic numerical modelling. The inclusion of an additional parameter, which describes the variation of the passive tracer concentration as well as its connection with the Lagrange particle random walk model, into ...
The strongholds of Russian coastal borderlands: economic dynamics amid geopolitical turbulence
... the factors and features of the economic dynamics of the coastal borderlands amid the post-2014 geopolitical turbulence. Economic and statistical methods are used to highlight the irregularity of the economic and settlement patterns across Russia’s coastal borderlands, in their water and land areas. It is shown that Russian economic and military activities have clustered there to create 14 ‘strongholds’, including two emerging ones. The current confrontation between Russia and the West is accompanied by the country’s growing maritime ...
Transboundary Clusters in the Coastal Zones of the European Part of Russia: Inventory, Typology, Factors, and Prospects
... dominant development of border regions, Aktual'nye voprosy ekonomicheskikh nauk [Topical issues of economic sciences], no. 47, p. 109—114. (in Russ.)
21. Baturova, G. V. 2012, Regional sea economic clusters as a basis for socioeconomic development of coastal areas, Transportnoe delo Rossii [Transport business in Russia], no. 6 (2), p. 40—42. (in Russ.)
22. Walerud, C., Viachka, A. 2007, Transnational networks of cluster organizations, Stockholm.
23. United Shipbuilding Corporation, available at:
Socioeconomic typology of Russia’s coastal regions
... of the national economy and foreign economic ties. There are significant differences between coastal regions, which should be taken into account when devising a regional development policy. The article aims to identify specific features of Russia’s coastal regions, compare them with other national regions, provide a typology of them, and identify possibilities and areas of their socioeconomic development. The author employs theoretical and empirical methods of classifying regions within J. Friedmann’s theoretical framework. The article distinguishes between five socioeconomic types and a number of subtypes of ...
Coastal location as a development factor of the cities in the Baltic region
... pl/en/topics/population/population/area-and-population-in-the-territorial-profile- in-2018,4,12.html (дата обращения: 10.07.2019).
13. Area and population in the territorial profile in 2011. URL:
. pl/cps/rde/xbcr/gus/P_area_and_population_in_the_territorial_profile_2011.... ... статистики. URL:
. gks.ru/ (дата обращения: 10.07.2019).
Kuznetsova T. Yu., Mikhailov A. S.
coastal position, Baltic region states, population dynamics
Sustainable tourism as an alternative development path for coastal towns: The case of the Kaliningrad region
... environment/iczm/situation.htm (дата обращения: 20.09.2013).
13. World Tourism Organization UNWTO. URL: http://sdt. unwto. org/en (дата обращения: 20.03.2013).
Kropniva E., Belova A., Afanasyeva E.
tourism, sustainable urban development, coastal cities, border area, typology, evaluation of prospects, Kaliningrad/Vistula Lagoon.
Marine Spatial Planning: Theoretical Aspects
... evaluations aimed to prove feasibility of economic activities and contribute to their development in a certain part of a sea or an ocean. A most likely comprehensive MSP object is an integrated segment of coastal/marine area. Consisting of a marine part and a coastal area, such segments are a product of zoning. In this article, I explore the key MSP stages — from identifying the panning object to evaluating the natural resource potential and performing calculations for relevant aquaterritorial structures. The basic ...
Approaches to the Definition of the Baltic Sea Region
.... Zaleski, J., Wojewódka, C. 1977, Europa Bałtycka. Zarys monografii gospodarczej, Wrocław, Warszawa, Kraków, Gdańsk.
Klemeshev A. P., Korneevets V. S., Palmowski Т., Studzieniecki Т., Fedorov G. M.
Baltic Sea region, Baltic sea, catchment area, coastal zones, zones of attraction, international cooperation
The use and environmental state of the Curonian Lagoon and its coastal zones
The waters of the Curonian Lagoon and the contiguous coastal area are linked together by both the environment and economic activities. Regional planning considers water and coastal areas as separate phenomena that lack a common management system. However, this approach is poorly applicable to the Curonian Lagoon,...
Suspended Particulate Matter Distribution Along the Northern Coast of the Kaliningrad Peninsula
... study of suspended particulate matter in the southeastern Baltic Sea is motivated both by human-induced impact and by the natural features of the Baltic Sea, namely, the high levels of eutrophication and complicated sedimentation conditions. The study area is human-occupied, which contributes to the significance of the findings for sustainable nature, and coastal zone, management. The main aim of this research is to study the spatial distribution variability of suspended particulate matter north of the Kaliningrad Peninsula — in the southeastern Baltic Sea — to gain a better understanding of sedimentation ...
Modern understanding of ‘geoeconomic position’ and the Saint Petersburg agglomeration
... situation’ as applied to one of the most important centers of the Baltic region — the St. Petersburg agglomeration. The coastal location of the agglomeration and close connections with the Leningrad region make it possible to consider the Saint Petersburg coastal region (Baltic Area) as a whole. The article sets out not only to verify, confirm, and explain the features of the geoeconomic position of the coastal region, but also to describe the contiguous geoeconomic space. The position of the St. Petersburg coastal region is ...
Identification of technology transfer in industries developing in the exclave region under the influence of the “coastal factor”
... in the Kaliningrad region are the universities. Kaliningrad State Technical University performs 37.6 % of the work in the area of innovations, a significant amount of work is implemented by the Federal Fishery Agency. Transfer of technologies for IKBFU ... ... typical for a classical university (some few works are carried out within the branches developing under the influence of the “coastal factor”). The analysis clearly demonstrates that in the Kaliningrad region these sectors are not in any significant ...
Suspended particulate matter within the Kaliningrad coastal zone: distribution, transport, composition
The coastal zone of the Kaliningrad region is an especially sensitive marine area which includes recreation areas, natural heritage sites, construction sites and zones of both abrasion and accumulation. Thus, it requires monitoring and control of core environmental indicators such as suspended particulate matter concentration....
Ensuring the proportional development of the strategic areas of coastal specialisation
This article presents proposals to ensure a balanced development of the strategic areas of regional specialization based on managerial decisionmaking in the conditions of the system uncertainty of integrated coastal interaction. To this end, it is suggested that a balanced scorecard system identifying the possibility of aligning such decisions and maintaining the synergy effect in the chosen directions of prospective ratio development is applied.
1. Теория ...
Сoastal exclaves among enclosed territories of the world
(дата обращения: 24.04.2018).
35. East Timor: Districts, Cities & Urban Areas // City Population. URL:
(дата обращения: 24.04.2018).... ... Балтийский регион. 2015. № 4 (26). С. 121—134.
Zverev Yu. M.
enclave territories, enclave, exclave, coastal exclave, typology of enclave territories.
Baltic Cooperation in Marine Spatial Planning
... Russia to preserve the natural and economic environment of the Baltic Sea. Most joint spatial planning projects have been initiated by Finland, Sweden, Germany, and Poland.
Palmowski T., Tarkowski M.
Baltic Sea region, European Union, integrated coastal area management, spatial planning, Poland, Russia
On Sources and Mechanisms of Coastal Area Self-development
... развития России в условиях структурных изменений в мировой экономике. Научный доклад от 24 декабря 2008г. URL:
self-development, coastal border area, genetic-cultural determination,
region’s competitiveness, intellectual capital, human capital, innovative entrepreneurship.
СA comparative analysis of bioflavonoid accumulation by Trifolium pratense in the Kaliningrad region
This article examines the influence of environmental factors on the polyphenol accumulation of the red clover (Trifolium pratense L.) in the coastal and continental areas of the Kaliningrad region. The influence of temperature, light, and mineral nutrition factors on the accumulation activity of anthocyanins, leucoanthocyanidins, and catechins is determined. The coastal and continental area plants did not show any ...
Kaliningrad region: coastal position as a geographical factor of economic development
The Kaliningrad region is a border and a coastal area in one. Such a combination of geographic features affects the development of this exclave region of Russia. The maritime status has a direct and indirect positive impact on the sectoral structure and the pace of economic growth. The role of the borderline ...
Economic and Geographical Structure of the Baltic Sea region
The Baltic Sea region is one of the most developed transnational regions. It comprises the coastal areas of Russia, Germany, and Poland and the entire territories of Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia. New spatial forms of international economic cooperation develop in the region. The region is not homogeneous in terms of socioeconomic ...
Geosituational Modelling of Coastal Marine Systems
... systems in the Baltic Sea region and adjacent territories. Kaliningrad universities and academic institutions have done extensive research on the diversity of approaches and models of the regional geosituations as well as on identifying the most promising coastal marine areas. Some of the models presented in the present paper are qualitative, while others are empirical and statistical ones. However, the majority of the models can be referred to as forms of graphic and image mapping. The significance of the regional models ...
A study into the dynamics of the Baltic Sea coastal zone using satellite images
The changes in the total area of the coastal zone were estimated on four test sites in 1979-2010. The author emphasizes the domination of abrasive processes over accumulative ones. The total area of losses ranges from 4 to 50 ha per year against the background of a 2 – 21 ha annual accumulation....
Variability of climatic characteristics оver the South-East Baltic coastal waters in the early XXI century
... early life stage survival // Journal of Marine Systems. 2012. № 100—101. P. 1—8.
17. Climate change in the Baltic Sea Area: HELCOM thematic assessment in 2013 // Baltic Sea Environment Proceedings. 2013. № 137.
18. Elmgren R., Blenckner T., Andersson ... ... Poland // Climate Research. 2002. № 20. P. 123—133.
20. Stont Z. I., Bukanova T. V. General features of air temperature over coastal waters of the south-eastern Baltic Sea for 2004—2017 // Russian Journal of Earth Sciences. 2019. Vol. 19, № 3....
Coastal and recreation landscape of Kaliningrad: modern potential and prospects for spatial development
The authors have conducted a comprehensive assessment of Kaliningrad suburban areas and identified the coastal landscape and recreation area within the ring road impact. Comprehensive analysis resulted in the typology of internal areas considering how favorable they can be for further recreation and tourism development. The article brings about certain ...
The current state and problems of fishing industry development in the coastal regions of the Russian Federation
... quantitative parameters of the industry, identifies key leading companies, shows the dynamics of the number of enterprises in the coastal regions from 2007 to 2017, and reveals the geographical features of locating fidhing enterprises. The authors analyse ... ... companies’ financial indicators, as well as the change in the average annual number of employees. The study reveals that the key areas of activity for fishing companies are the regions of the Far East (Kamchatka, Primorsky Krai and the Sakhalin region) and ...
On the formation and dynamics of eddy at the cost of Southeaster Baltic based on the data of remote sensing
This article presents an analysis of coastal eddy in the area of Cape Taran of the Sambia Peninsula (South-Eastern part of the Baltic Sea) on the basis of MODIS and ASAR remote sensing data. It describes the location, spatial and temporal scale, dynamics and hydrometeorological conditions of eddy formation....
The results of the weekly monitoring of the Vistula Bay coast in the area of Pribrezhny village in 2011-2012
This article offers the results of regular (weekly) monitoring of the coast of the Vistula Lagoon in the area of the village of Pribrezhny (the Kaliningrad region) throughout the year. The steady profile measurements of the beach width,... ... wind regime over the observation period made it possible to reveal the coast dynamics, assess the stability of the beach and coastal slope condition, as well as the influence of the
main regime-forming factor — the wind.
1. Бобыкина В. П....
The population structure and the growth of the bivalve mollusc Ruditapes philippinarum in Amur bay (the Sea of Japan)
... the inner part of Amursky Bay (Peter the Great Bay, Japan Sea) // Pacific Oceanography. 2005. Vol. 3, № 2. P. 121—136.
Hagino M., Hiwatari T. et al.
Growth of the Manila clam
in Sanbanse, the shallow coastal area in Tokyo Bay // Fisheries Science. 2002. Vol. 68, № 6. P. 1309—1318.
The setting and growth of the Manila clam,
(Deshayes), in Hood Canal, Washington // Proceedings of the National Shellfisheries ...
Key Strategies of Development of Research Tools and Methods for Marine Spatial Planning
... izucheniju proizvoditel'nyh sil (SOPS).
2. Baturova, G. V. 2011, Regional'nye morehozjajstvennye klastery kak osnova social'no-jekonomicheskogo razvitija primorskih territorij [Regional marine economic clusters as a basis of socio-economic development of coastal areas]. In: Zhyharevych, B. S. (ed.). Strategicheskoe planirovanie v regionah i gorodah Rossii. Doklady uchastnikov IX Obshherossijskogo foruma «Strategicheskoe planirovanie v regionah i gorodah Rossii» [Strategic planning in the regions and cities ...
Foreign economic activity of Saint Petersburg, the Leningrad Region, and the Republic of Karelia: problems and opportunities for development
... Federation], Regional'naja jekonomika: teorija i praktika, no. 25, p. 27—34.
2. Dvorcova, E. N. 2011, Otechestvennyj i zarubezhnyj opyt upravlenija hozjajstvom pribrezhnyh territorij [National and international experience of economic management of coastal areas], Menedzhment v Rossii i za rubezhom, no. 2, p. 48—55.
3. Pahomov, A. 2010, Strategija razvitija vneshnejekonomicheskogo kompleksa Rossijskoj Federacii [The development strategy of foreign economic complex of the
Russian Federation], Problemy ...
On the role of Arctic cod in the nutrition of abundant bird species of the Barents Sea
... Barrett R. T., Anker-Nilssen T., Gabrielsen G. W., Chapdelaine G. Food consumption by seabirds in norwegian waters // ICES Journal of Marine Science. 2002. № 59, 1 Feb. Р. 43—57.
18. Mehlum F., Gabrielsen G. W. The diet of high-arctic seabirds in coastal and icecovered, pelagic areas near the Svalbard archipelago // Polar research. 1993. Vol. 12, № 1. P. 1—20.
19. Mehlum F., Gabrielsen G. W. Energy expenditure and food consumption by seabird populations in the Barents Sea regions // Ecology of fjords and coastal waters....
Assessing spatial and temporal changes in the landscape vulnerability in the Kaliningrad region as an element of sustainable spatial planning
... regulation on the basis of the European experience of quality management of underground hydrosphere], Ustoychivost' vodnykh ob"yektov, vodosbornykh i pribrezhnykh territoriy; riski ikh ispol'zovaniya [Sustainability of water bodies, watersheds and coastal areas; the risks of their use], Proceedings of the All-Russian Scientific Conference, Kaliningrad, 25-30 July 2011, p.443-448.
22. Khovanovm N. V., Fedotov, U. V. 2006, Modeli ucheta neopredelennosti pri postroyenii svodnykh pokazateley effektivnosti ...
Similarities and differences in curricula of a bachelor’s degree in oceanology at the universities in St Petersburg, Klaipeda, and Kaliningrad
... zajavlenie evropejskih ministrov obrazovanija. g. Bolon'ja, 19 ijunja 1999 goda [The Bologna Declaration. European Higher Education Area. Joint statement by the European Ministers of Education. Bologna, 19 June 1999]. Cit. on: Rossija v Bolonskom processe: materialy ... ... Moscow, MAEP Sev. Gorod, pp. 219—225.
4. Bowden, К. 1988, Fizicheskaja okeanografija pribrezhnyh vod [Physical oceanography of coastal waters], Moscow, MIR, 324 p.
5. Vorobiev, V. N., Smirnov, N. P. 1999, Obwaja okeanologija [General oceanography], Part....
The Kaliningrad region in Polish scientific research
.... Fedorov, V. Korneevets. (red.). Economic, Geopolitical and Social Problems of Co-operation Between Kaliningrad and Poland, Coastal Regions
6. Gdynia; Pelplin.
38. Kotowicz, W. 2003. Cywilizacja i Polityka, N 1.
39. Kotowicz, W. 2004. Sprawy Wschodnie,... ... Kaliningrad District of the Russian Federation. In: T. Palmowski (red.). The Framework of Regional Development in Cross-border Areas of North-Eastern Poland and The Kaliningrad Oblast. Gdynia; Pelplin.
52. Modzelewski, W. T. 2004. Geneza i tożsamość ...
Structural features of upwelling in South-East Baltic
... means of numerical simulation it was conformed that features of upwelling space structure depend upon bottom topography in an area of observation, strength of wind velocity and its duration. The dependence of the
upwelling scenario on the Froude number ... ... Океанология.
F., Mellor G.
A Description of a Three-Dimensional Coastal Ocean Circulation Model.
: American Geophysical
, 1987. P. 16.
The significance of terrain for the assessment of natural complex sensitivity to human impact
... В. География и геоэкологическое состояние русел и пойм рек Северной Евразии. М., 2009.
8. Nouri J., Danehkar A., Sharifipour R. Evaluation of the Ecological Sensitivity in the Northern Coastal Area Of the Persian Gulf // Journal of Applied Sciences and Environmental Management. 2007. Vol. 11, № 4. P. 119—123.
9. Jensen J. R., Halls J. N., Michel J. A Systems Approach to Environmental Sensitivity lndex (ESI) Mapping for Oil Spill Contingency ...
Changes in the Population Distribution and Transport Network of Saint Petersburg
... population grow over the last thirteen years. However, it is the population of suburban areas that increased the most. The core area of the city has the tendency of outward diffusion, and the population gravity centre has been moving northwards. Spatial ... ..., Semenova, I. V. 2015, Sankt-Peterburgskij primorskij region: geoehkonomicheskaya transformaciya territorii [St. Petersburg coastal region:geo-economic transformation of the territory], St. Petersburg. (In Russ.)
3. Database of indicators of municipalities ...
On the relation between spatial concepts, strategic and territorial planning in the Russian Federation in the context of the development of the Kaliningrad / Vistula Lagoon region
... фактор стратегического и территориального планирования в российских регионах на Балтике // Балтийский регион. 2014. № 3 (21). С. 71—82.
coastal areas, border areas, spatial development, Kaliningrad/Vistula Lagoon
The changing role of border regions in the regional policies of the EU and Russia
... recent years, particularly, amid the reunification with the Crimea. The study calls for better coordination between different areas of the federal socio-economic policy on border regions and closer attention to border regions’ foreign economic ties, ... ... the Strategy for the Spatial Development of the Russian Federation.
Kuznetsov A. V., Kuznetsova О. V.
border regions, coastal regions, regional policy, EU, Russia, Euroregions, cross-border cooperation, spatial development strategy
Pollination as an ecosystem service in agricultural nature management
... 1991—2004 interannual dynamics of providing ecosystem services by the agricultural geosystem was analysed in the case of a model area. The author em-phasizes the impact of climate change on the ecosystem service.
1. Гаева Д. В., Баринова Г.... ... Services. 2012. P. 50—61.
13. Granek E. F., Polasky S., Kappel C. V. et al. Ecosystem services as a common lan¬guage for coastal ecosystem-based management // Conservation Biology. 2009.
No 24(1). P. 207—219.
14. Garibaldi L. A., Steffan-Dewenter ...
On the international cooperation of North-West Russia in the field of innovations in the Baltic
... eu/fi/teemat/cross-border-solutions/hankkeet/154-complex-development-of-regional-cooperation-in-the-field-of-open-ict-innovations (accessed 17 September 2012).
22. Green cities and settlements — Sustainable spatial development in remote border areas, KARELIA ENPI CBC, available at: http://www. kareliaenpi. eu/fi/teemat/cross-border-solutions/hankkeet/160-green-cities-and-settlements-sustainable-spatial-development-in-remote-border-areas ... ... Programmes, available at: http://www. territorialcooperation. eu/frontpage/show/6457 (accessed 16 September 2012).
26. Project — Coastal environment, technology and innovation in the Arctic, KEEP Knowledge and Expertise in European Programmes, available at: ...
Model Structure and Content of a Comprehensive Maritime Plan: the Case of Kaliningrad
... based on relevant regulations, publications, and maps. The main result of the study is the identification of functional offshore areas of federal, regional, and local significance. The research significance of this study is associated with the further development ... .... 31—37.
7. Ghoghoberidze, G. G. 2009, Baltijskoe more: primorskie regiony i ih morehozjajstvennyj potencial [Baltic Sea: coastal regions and marine economic potential],
Jekonomicheskie strategii [Economic strategies], Vol. 11, no. 8, p. 150—155....
The Evolution, or Seasonal and Interannual Variability, of the Diurnal Variation of Hydrometeorological Fields in the Southern Baltic Sea
... Res. Oceans. 2013. № 118. P. 4488—4503.
14. Leppranta M., Myrberg K. Physical oceanography of the Baltic Sea. Springer, 2009.
15. Mingelaite T., Rukseniene V., Dailidiene I. Long and Short Term Variability of the Main Physical Parameters in the Coastal Area of the SE Baltic Proper. // EGU GeneralAssembly 2015. held 12—17 April. 2015 in Vienna, Austria. Vienna, 2015.
16. Woods J. D. Do waves limit turbulent diffusion in the ocean? // Nature. 1980. Vol. 288, № 5788. P. 219—224.
Dubravin V. F.,...