Functionalist evaluation of the effectiveness of political institutions in Russia
The article investigates the specifics of the interaction between political institutions and civil society. Analyzing relevant research literature, the author studies the effectiveness and legitimacy of political institutions in Russia. The author identifies the main trends in their activity of political institutions, which should be given special ...
Spatial Planning in the European Union: Practices to Draw on in Russia
... conditions and their adaptation to the needs of a different set of conditions in order to attain similar goals using the components of the transferred technique, model, or policy. We present a classification of spatial planning systems. We show how civil society is being involved in spatial planning in the EU and Russia. We stress the need to draw on the EU spatial planning experience, in particular, the involvement of civil society in project evaluation. At the same time, it is important to take ...
The role of the principle of honesty in the principle system of Russian civil law
This article examines the interaction between the principle of honesty and the other principles of the civil law of the Russian Federation. Honesty is manifested in various institutions of law; it interacts with each principle and basic element thus limiting each freedom. It is stressed that honestly — despite having the potential of broad practical ...
Hannah Arendt's political philosophy and the modern age: the internet as a public realm
4. Arendt H. The human condition. The University of Chicago Press, The University of Chicago Press, 1958
5. Bauman Zugmunt // Search of Politics. Cambridge: Polity Press, 1999.
6. Levine Peter. The Internet and Civil Society. URL:
7. Sorj Bernardo. Internet, őffentlicher Raum und politisches Marketing: zwischen Kommunikationsfőrderung und moralischem Solipsismus. Űbersetzt von Karsten Krűger und Silke Van der ...
Pardon committees as central institutions of the civil society
... of pardon committees in the constituent entities of the Russian Federation. The author puts forward proposals concerning the improvement of the criminal and penal legislations and emphasises the need for the restoration of certain institutions of the civil society that successfully functioned as early as the Soviet period.
издания актов об амнистии и помиловании» // Виртуальный юридический справочник.
The concept “people” in A. S. Shishkov’s manifestoes in the discourse of the Patriotic War of 1812
... drevnei i novoi Rossii v ee politicheskom i grazhdanskom otnosheniyakh [A note on ancient and modern Russia in its political and civil relations]. Moscow (in Russ.).
Lomonosov, M. V., 1803. Preface on the use of church books in the Russian language. In: ... ... chlena [Collected works and translations of Admiral Shishkov of the Russian Imperial Academy of the President and various member societies]. Vol. II. St. Petersburg (in Russ.).
Shishkov, A. S., 2011a. Brief notes kept in the war with the French in 1812 and ...
The concepts of citizenship and estate in Russian history — continuity and / or intermittence
... the Bolsheviks officially abolished estates, titles and ranks. Under the 1918 Constitution of the RSFSR, the concept “class” became a legal term in Soviet Russia. Only “workers” received political rights and thus full citizenship. The official civil status or citizenship was an integral part of the ideology of workers and “exploited” classes as opposed to “non-working, bourgeois elements”. The idea of citizenship ceased to depend on territory and nationality. As a result, a group ...
The antinomy of political reason. Some deliberations on Kant’s “Answer-ing the Question: What is Enlightenment?”
.... Russian history is addressed to illustrate that even “common interests” of the ruler and the citizen leave room for a conflict between them. The author analyses Kant’s paradox stating an inversely proportional connection between the level of civil liberties and that of spiritual freedom. The article proposes a hypothesis about the dissident movement as a possible political form of implementingthis paradox. This dilemma helps to formulate the idea of antinomy of political reason, as well as ...
Duty and Coercion in Kant’s Republican Cosmopolitanism
... from involving a hierarchy over governmental structure. Third, I will discuss that the only reason to perform an active role in the political sphere according to Kant stems from the statehood, so that to help other needy and less developed peoples and societies in order to boost that they achieve their autonomy as a state would not belong to the duties that a republic should abide to. Thus, the transformation of a human society into a republican civil union means according to Kant’s account of right the greatest contribution that a state could offer to enhance the cosmopolitan order.
1. Beck, V., Culp, J. 2013, Interview of K. Flikschuh, R. Forst and D. Moellendorf, in: Global Justice: Theory ...
The transfer of the ownership of the objects of cultural heritage of the Kaliningrad region to the Russian Orthodox Church: the social and cultural aspects of the conflict
... cultural environment, requires a public discussion as decisions concerning the transfer of the ownership of cultural and historical objects to a religious organisation are made.
Karpenko A. M.
regional identity, Kaliningrad, collective memory, civil society, church-government relations.
The Denominational Space of Modern Sweden: Christianity
... Sotsialno-ekonomicheskaya geografiya. Vestnik Assotsiatsii rossiyskich geografofobschestvovedov [Socio-economic geography. Bulletin of the Association of Russian social geographers], no. 1(4), p. 67. (In Russ.)
16. Martynov, V. L., Sazonova, I. Ye.2015, Religions and civilizations in spatial development of the society, Mogilevskiy meridian, p. 99—103. (In Russ.)
17. Klasson, H. 1982, Orthodox Church in Sweden, Jurnal Moskovskoy Patriarhii, no. 9, p. 50—54. (In Russ.)
18. Geisser, L. 2013, The history of the Reformation ...
Estonia’s party system today: electoral turbulence and changes in ethno-regional patterns
... system of Estonia’s party scene. The method of comparative systemic analysis is used alongside those adopted in electoral geography. It is concluded that the effect of the ethnic and geographical factors on electoral behaviour is diminishing as a civil society based on civic rather than ethnic principles is emerging in the country. The main drivers of the change are the formation of new parties and coalition-building — both have an immediate effect on how the image of the parties is perceived ...
Mary Crawford Fraser and Alice Mabel Bacon on the Japanese society of the late 19th/early 20th century
9. Fraser H. The slaking of the sword: Tales of the Far East. L., 1904.
10. Fraser H. The stolen emperor. N. Y., 1903.
11. Fraser H. The stolen prince, a legend of old Japan. N. Y., 1905.
12. Johnson L. L. Evangelists for Women’s Education: The ‘Civilizing Mission’ of Tsuda Umeko and Alice M. Bacon // アジア文化研究三鷹: 国際基督教大学 (Куль¬турология Азии. Токио, 2012. № 38). Р. 1—16.
13. Latourette K. S. The development of Japan. N. Y., 1918.
Social conflicts as seen by residents of Saint Petersburg: An empirical study
... during the time of economic, social, and political turbulence. The research aims to examine the existing threats and identify opportunities for reducing social tension. The article makes a practical contribution to the development of social policy and civil society. The author describes the attitudes of Saint Petersburg residents to various social conflicts. They believe that religious and ethnic conflicts are the most dangerous ones and consider ‘conflicts over property and status’ a minor threat....
The phenomenon of globalization and the problem of cultural diversity of society
... идентичности / пер. с англ. А. Башкирова. М., 2004.
Введение в кибернетику / пер. с англ. Новосибирск, 1999.
Andreichuk N. V.
globalisation, identity, culture, local civilizations, cultural diversity, cultural unification, education.
Modern Hanseatic Trends in the Baltic Region
... international agenda for sustainable regional development. Baltic cities are involved in various forms of cross-border cooperation, providing opportunities for interstate relations and contributes to laying down crossborder cooperation roadmaps and developing civil society networks. It can be concluded, that the history of the Hanseatic League and its current incarnation — the New Hanse — testify to the fact that productive economic, cultural, and other relations can be established between states but also ...
The political elite recruitment in the Baltic: the role of the ethnic factor
... period of ‘independence-induced euphoria’ faded, Lithuanian, Latvian, and Estonian power groups had to tackle the problem of civil society formation and the development of a political regime based on democratic procedures. In these countries the processes ... ... between Nation-state building and Globalization: Attitudes of the decision Makersin Estonia, Studies of Transition States and Societies, Vol. 2, no. 1.
10. Kasatkina, N., Beresnevičiūtė, V. 2010, Ethnic Structure, Inequality and Governance of the ...
Political technologies and international conflicts in the information space of the Baltic Sea region
... media technology and international law. The international conflict between Russia and some countries of the European Union has become a factor hampering its sustainable development. Moreover, the conflict has adversely affected the functioning of many civil society institutions in the Baltic Sea region. This study focuses on the publications in the scientific media associated with the political technologies that may provoke conflict but must contribute to good-neighbourly relations in the region. We ...
Political reconsideration of the Soviet past: attitudes and actions of the Lithuanian elites
... key ways of treating the past in Lithuania. All efforts to accommodate a more permissive attitude towards the Soviet past and civil servants whose career began under the Soviets do not find much support within the Lithuanian elite.
1. Bauman, Z. 1999,... ... Nostalgia. A New Perspective on Affective Design Strategy for the Chinese Market, Seoul, IASDR 2009 (International Association of Societies of Design Research) conference paper.
15. Velikonja, M. 2009, Lost in Transition: Nostalgia for Socialism in Postsocialist ...
The concept “people” in the Cadet Party rhetoric
... origin by the dichotomy “power — people”, which was democratic in nature. The “people” included the educated public and was opposed to the “authorities”. In its new meaning, “people” was seen as the “third class”, the future civil nation, called to construct a political system based on the idea of popular sovereignty. In this sense, the Cadet ideology was revolutionary and implied a break from the Ancien régime. The “people” were not considered as some unique whole ...
Territorial differences in the attitudes to the migration crisis in Germany: The political aspect
... the Global Challenges: Learning from experiences”, European University Institute Robert Schumann Centre for Advanced Studies, San Domenico di Fiesole.
16. Lahav, G., Courtemanche, M. 2012, The Ideological Effects of Framing Threat on Immigration and Civil Liberties, Polit. Behav, no. 34, p. 477—505.
17. Hainmueller, J., Hangartner, D. 2013, Who Gets a Swiss Passport? A Natural Experiment in Immigrant Discrimination, Am. Polit. Sci. Rev., no. 107, p. 159—187.
18. Golder, M. 2003, Explaining ...
Paul Natorp’s social pedagogic theory and it’s relevance to modern russian education
... Focht, B. A., 2003, Izbrannoe (iz filosofskogo nasledija) [Selected writings (from philosophical heritage)]. Publication, preface, commentaries by N. A. Dmitrieva, Moscow.
Paul Natorp, social pedagogy, adult education, university’s third mission, civil society, “folk academy”
Vorobiev M. V.
The influence of the sea on the economic development and settlement structure in the Baltic Sea region
16. Lymarev, V. I. 1986, Morskie berega i chelovek [Sea coast and people], Moscow. (In Russ.)
17. Mechnikov, L. I. 1898, Tsivilizatsiya i velikie istoricheskie reki. Geograficheskaya teoriya razvitiya sovremennykh obshchestv [Civilization and the great historical rivers. Geographic theory of the development of modern societies], St. Petersburg. (In Russ.)
18. Mikhailov, A. S. 2014, Geography of international clusters in the Baltic region, Balt. Reg., Vol. 6, no. 1, p. 113—123. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2014-1-10.
19. The national economy of the USSR for 70 years, 1987,...
Königsberg Cathedral and Kant’s tomb in Soviet Kaliningrad
... Communist party and state authorities attempted to demolish the ruins of the Cathedral, which was damaged during the war, and relocate Kant’s grave. However, this goal was not achieved, because members of Kaliningrad intelligentsia and the emerging civil society, who had the support of Moscow cultural organisations and institutions, including the Ministry of Culture of the RSFSR, furthered the cause of protecting the main attractions of Königsberg/Kaliningrad. Thе article discusses the projects ...
Russia’s Coastal Zone as a Social and Geographic Phenomenon: Conceptualisation and Delimitation
... in the key segments of Russia’s coastal zone.
1. Mechnikov, L. I. 1898, Tsivilizatsiya i velikie istoricheskie reki [The Civilization and the great historical rivers], 362 p.
2. Shokal'skiy, Yu. M. 1924, Sever SSSR i ego znachenie dlya Respubliki ... ... the territory], Saint Petersburg, 191 p.
14. Bosworth, A. 1996, The world-city system by the year 2000, Journal of Developing Societies, T. 12, Vol. 1, p. 52—67.
15. Cartier, C. 1999, Cosmopolitics and the maritime world city, The Geographical Review,...
The legitimation and criticism of violence in international law. A po¬litical science perspective
... [et al.]. Baden- Baden, 2003. S. 27—55.
28. Tèson F. Humanitarian Intervention. An Inquiry into Law and Morality. N. Y., 1988.
29. Wheeler N. Saving Strangers. Humanitarian Intervention and International Society. Oxford, 2000.
right to peace, civil war, humanitarian intervention, UN, sovereignty, responsibility to protect
Brock L. (translated from German by A. Zilber)
[text]1. Arend, A. C., Beck, R. J. 1998, International Law and the Recourse to Force: ...
The formation of the narrative and the performative in public communication
Likhachev, D. S., 1993. The conceptosphere of the Russian language. Izvestiya RAN. Seriya lite-ratury i yazyka [The Bulletin of the Russian Academy of Sciences: Studies in Literature and Language], 1, pp. 3—9 (in Russ.).
Petukhov, V. V., 2012. Civil society and government: cooperation or confrontation. Vestnik Instituta sotsiologii [Bulletin of the Institute of Sociology], 5, pp. 240—246 (in Russ.).
Proskurin, S. G., 2017. Linguocultural transfer: ideas about the world in ancient traditions....
Problems and Prospects of Cross-Border Cooperation in Tourism between Russia and Europe
... Transnational Cooperation as a Playground of the European Integration, Eurolimes, Vol. 7, p. 148—159, available at:
5. Scott, J. W., Laine, J. 2012, Borderwork: Finnish-Russian co-operation and civil society engagement in the social economy of transformation, Enterpreneurship & Regional Development, Vol. 24, no. 3—4, April, p. 187—197.
6. Smith, S. L. J. 1998, Tourism as An Industry: Debates and Concepts. In: Ioannides, D., Debbage, K. G....
The international legal regulation of the status of voluntary human shields
... Notion of Direct Participation in Hostilities, 5—
6 February 2008.
direct-participation-article-020709.htm (дата обращения: 1.07.11).
Rusinova V. N.
human shields, civil population, armed conflicts, international humanitarian law, proportionality.
Norway’s International Development Assistance Policy in the Current International Environment: Mechanisms of Justification
... Assistance], Lecture course, Moscow, 408 p.
4. Addison, T., Niño-Zarazúa, M., 2015, Finn Tarp. AID, social policy and development, Journal of International Development, no. 27. p. 1351—1365.
5. Banks, N., Hulme, D. 2012, The role of NGOs and civil society. In: Development and poverty reduction, BWPI Working Paper, no. 171, June, available at: http://www.g20civil.com/upload/iblock/9b1/rolengo.pdf (accesed 15.01.2016).
6. Chiripanhura, B., Niño-Zarazúa, M. 2015, Aid, political business cycles ...
The later works of Boris Porshnev in foreign historiography
... Jahrhundert — Krise der Feudalgesellschaft? Hamburg, 1981.
30. Kazhdan A. Soviet Studies on Medieval Western Europe: A Brief Survey // Speculum. 1982. Vol. 57, № 1. Р. 1—19.
31. Knachel Ph. A. England and the Fronde: the impact of the English Civil War and Revolution on France. Ithaca (NY), 1967.
32. Krause H.-Th. Die Entwicklung der Beziehungen zwischen der Geschichtswissenschaft der DDR und der UdSSR von 1945 bis zur Gegenwart // Die Sowjetische Geschichtswissenschaft. 1979. Tl. 2. S. ...
On the international cooperation of North-West Russia in the field of innovations in the Baltic
1. Budargin, G. 2009, Evroregiony s uchastiem Rossii: istorija sozdanija i perspektivy razvitija [Euro-regions with the participation of Russia: history and prospects], 4CS. Ru: Eksperty dlja grazhdanskogo obshestva [4CS. Ru: Experts for civil society], 16 May, available at: http://www.4cs. ru/materials/publications/wp-id_620/ (accessed 17 February 2012).
2. Koponen, Т. 2011, Innovacionnoe sotrudnichestvo mezhdu Finljandiej i Rossiej [Innovative cooperation between Finland and Russia],...
On crisis trends in the legitimacy of the political regimes of the Baltic States
... Europe: the Case of the Baltic States, Vol. 3, no. 3, p. 83-104.
34. Special Eurobarometer, 2014, no. 397, February, available at: ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/archives/ebs/ebs_397_en.pdf (accessed 25.03.2015).
35. Spurga, S. 2007, Europeanization of Civil Society in the Baltic States: Promotion or Constraint of Democratization? Vieðoji Politika Ir Administravimas, no. 2, p.64.
36. Standard Eurobarometer, 2013, no. 80, November 2013, available at: ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/archives/eb/eb80/eb80_anx_en....
Cross-border cooperation between nongovernmental organisations in the Pomeranian and Warmian-Masurian voivodeships
... Lithuania], available at:http://www. pci. lt/inicjatywa/doc1.shtml (accessed 5 November 2012).
27. Czy UE reguluje kwestie związane z działalnością organizacji społecznych i ich finansowaniem [Is the EU on matters relating to the activities of civil society organizations and their funding], available at: http://www. niepelnosprawni.pl/ledge/x/8312;jsessionid=3B267477D6BAEA52327D502E36A7E2AC?action=pol l. RespondPoll (accessed 6 November 2012).
28. Wolontariat w Szwecji [Volunteering in Sweden],...
Problems and prospects of EU — Russia dialogue on visa-free travel
... survey of non-profit organizations as part of NO-VISA], Мoscow.
4. Recommendations on the process of facilitation and liberalization of the visa regime between the European Union and the Russian Federation, 2013, Steering Committee of the EU-Russia Civil Society Forum, Prague.
5. Potyomkina, О. 2011, Problema doverija Rossii i ES v ramkah obshhego prostranstva svobody, bezo-pasnosti i pravosudija [The problem of confidence in Russia and the EU in the framework of a common space of freedom, security ...