Modern indicators of urban development: challenges and opportunities for creating integral approaches to city management
There is an increasing need for the assessment of urban development rates in the world. In modern Russia, this need is reaffirmed by the transformation of regional economies, the economic acceleration of many major cities, and by the active introduction of strategic management tools (KPI, etc.). The article analyses the current indexes and rankings of urban development. The author explored the main methodological approaches to the assessment of the rate of urban ...
Trends in population change and the sustainable socio-economic development of cities in North-West Russia
... is a unique example of a model region. It accounts for 10 % of the country’s total area and 9.5 % of its population. This article aims to trace the patterns of city distribution across the region, to assess the conditions of differently populated cities and towns, and to identify sustainability trends in their socio-economic development. Population change is a reliable indicator of the competitiveness of a city. As a rule, a growing city performs well economically and has a favourable investment ...
The effect of cross-border fibre-optic transitions on the information and communication connectivity of the Russian cities
The Russian cities are connected by many telecommunication lines. The information flow between any two cities can be sent via multiple routes, including those running through the networks of other countries. Cross-border transitions are created to connect the Russian ...
Twin cities: a new form of cross-border cooperation in the Baltic Sea Region?
... movement as a form of cross-border cooperation in the Baltic region. This phenomenon emerged as a result of a global tendency towards more active involvement of municipal units in international cooperation, on the one hand, and aspirations of frontier cities and towns in the Baltic region to solve common problems together, on the other hand. This work is based on a comparative analysis method and a case study methodology. The authors consider four examples (city pairs): Tornio — Haparanda, Valga ...
Sustainable development of the city territorial capital: adaptive policy through the geography of knowledge
... the production process, it is more appropriate to consider the knowledge generation at the level of a city where the city is the most important urbanized scientific regional centre. This study aims to assess the territorial distribution of Russian cities by their ability to generate new scientific knowledge with the subsequent development of recommendations for managing their territorial capital as the basis of competitiveness. For Russia, the solution to this problem is most relevant in the ...
Saint Petersburg as a Global Coastal City: Positioning in the Baltic Region
The Baltic region consists of coastal areas of nine countries — Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, and Finland. The region’s hubs are the port cities located along the Baltic Sea coast. However, Peter Taylor and Saskia Sassen’s classification identifies higher status cities and ‘global cities’, which are to be considered in the global context. Seven coastal regions are distinguished within ...
The Tourist and Recreation Potential of Historical Cities in North-West Russia
In recent years, the development of historical cities has been high on research agenda. This is explained by the growing role of tourism and recreation in socioeconomic development and the persisting problem of the national economy’s spatial organisation amidst the absence of a clear-cut regional ...
Semi-Medium-Sized cities of North-West Russia as drivers for regional development
The article discusses the semi-medium-sized cities (with a population from 20 to 50 thousand people) and their functions in five regions of the North-West Federal District of the Russian Federation; the socio-economic areas formed by the semi-medium-sized cities are clearly represented. As an example,...
An “ideal city”, its statics and dynamics
... взаимодействие человека и природы // Социологическая наука и социальная практика. 2016. № 3. С. 5—22.
9. Bauman Z. Wasted Lives. Modernity and its Outcasts. Cambridge, 2004.
10. Howard E. The Garden Cities of Tomorrow. L., 1965.
11. Kaldor M. New and Old Wars: Organized Violence in a Global Era. Cambridge, 2012.
12. Niemeyer O. Minha expêriencia em Brasίlia. Rio de Janeiro, 2006.
13. Park R. Migration and the Marginal Man // American Journal ...
The comparative aspects of breeding bird fauna in Kaliningrad and other European cities
The article offers and an analysis of breeding bird fauna of Kaliningrad incomparison to Polish and one Lithuania cities. A total of 168 species breed in the cities under consideration, 94 (57.7 %) of them are common for all cities. Jacquard's diversity index was used to assess the dependence of species compositionon the geographical location in 10 European cities....
The geographical image of Kaliningrad and its branding policy (the case of a sociological survey of the city residents)
The article focuses on the results of a sociological survey of the city residents the main purpose of which is to identify the features of the geographical image of their city. The authors attempt at answering the question whether the comprehensive image of urban geospace coincides with the urban development tasks stated by the urban planners, city government and architects. The methodology designed by the authors determines the interview as a primary tool for collecting research material. The...
Coastal and western border centers in the system of large cities of modern Russia: socio-economic and innovation development.
The article reflects the results of a study of large Russian cities (with a population of more than 100 thousand people, as well as smaller cities with the status of regional capitals), emphasizing two strategically important groups: coastal centers and cities of the Western borderlands of Russia. Having applied ...
A Situational Approach to Strategic Management and Monitoring of Regional and Urban Development
2. Zhitkov, V. A., Labrents, B. V., Rosenthal, V. О. 2011, Regional'nye Strategii: praktika razrabotki i napravlenija sovershenstvovanija [Regional Strategy: development practice and areas for improvement], Jekonomika megapolisov i regionov [Cities and regions of the economy], no. 4 (40), p. 22—33.
3. Savchenko, A. B. 2012, O hode rabot nad Strategiej social'no-jekonomicheskogo razvitija goroda Moskvy na period do 2025 goda [A progress report on the socio-economic development of the city ...
Modern Hanseatic Trends in the Baltic Region
... and historical research on the strengths and weaknesses of the Hanseatic League. Unfortunately, in the 21st century, the Baltic region turned into a stage for geopolitical controversies. This took a toll on the efficiency of cooperation between the cities of Russia’s North-West and their Baltic counterparts. Therefore, it is important to seize the opportunities provided by the information society and focus on the innovative areas of regional cooperation. An interesting example is the partnership ...
Kaliningrad Architectural Landscape as a Tourist Attraction
... old historic urban space — attractions for tourism, Architecture and Urban planning, Theses of the conference, Riga, 2014.
17. Kropinova, E. Kaliningrad-Russia. In: Cudny, W., Michalski, T., Rouba, R. (eds.) Tourism and the transformation of large cities in the post — communist countries of Central and Eastern Europe, ŁTN, Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Łódzkiego, Łódź, p. 103—114.
18. Mazurski, K. R. 2000, Geographical perspectives on Polish tourism, Geo-Journal, Т. 50, no. 2—3, p. 173—179....
Tourist attractiveness of Kaliningrad
The article focuses on the tourist attractiveness ranking for cities in the world and in Russia. It also refers to an opinion poll on touristic attractiveness of Kaliningrad among residents and tourists. The city has been evaluated on various criteria. It helped to identify the most popular leisure and recreational ...
The abundance and territorial distribution of the Eurasian Coot (Fulica atra) and Common Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) in Kaliningrad
... Экологический Атлас Калининграда. Калининград, 1999.
4. Лыков Е. Л., Гришанов Г. В. Атлас гнездящихся птиц Калининграда (в печати).
5. Witt K. Berlin // Birds in European cities / J. G. Kelcey, G. Reinwald (eds). St. Katharinen, 2005. P. 17—40.
6. Москвичев А. Н., Бородин О. В., Корепов М. В., Корольков М. А. Птицы города Ульяновска: видовой состав,...
Tourism and the structure of attractiveness of the Baltic region metropolises
... tourism revenues in the Baltic region. Regional metropolises, which include nine capitals and Saint Petersburg, have a pivotal role in the tourism space of the region. I propose a methodology for empirical research into the attractiveness of ten Baltic cities as perceived by international tourists. This methodology distinguishes three major components in the tourism industry of the Baltic metropolises: hotels, restaurants, and sights. I estimate the attractiveness of these tourism infrastructure components ...
Coastal location as a development factor of the cities in the Baltic region
Population dynamics is one of the key categories of socio-economic development of territories. Cities, as the main carriers of innovative potential, need constant influx of human resources. The purpose of this article is to identify the nature of the influence of the cities’ coastal position on the dynamics of their population by the example ...
The role of International trade in improving the competitiveness of Saint Petersburg
... ability. This article has theoretical and practical significance for experts studying regional competitiveness, for regional authorities, and the business community.
1. Anholt, S. 2007, Competitive Identity. The New Brand Management for Nations. Cities and regions, London, 128 p.
2. Avraham, E., Ketter, E. 2007, Media Strategies for marketing place in crisis improving the image of cities, countries and tourism destinations, Oxford, 231 p.
3. Bergman, E. M., Feser, E. J. 1999, Cluster Morphology ...
The territorial structure and appearance of Kaliningrad
This article combines two approaches to the analysis of the appearance and territorial structure of Kaliningrad. One approach is based on the field study, the other — on the examination of documents. The former helped define a number of integral regions that were later considered from a historical point of view in order to figure out how the territorial structure and appearance of the city changed in the transition from the German to the Soviet and post-Soviet periods.
Yemelyanov Aleksander, Stegniyenko...
The history and modern condition of the urban fieldfare (Turdus pilaris L.) population in Kaliningrad
... и экология гнездящихся птиц городов Центральной Европы (на примере Калининграда) : дис. … канд. биол. наук. М., 2009.
16. Luniak M. Warsaw // Birds in European Cities / J. G. Kelcey, G. Rheinwald (eds.). 2005. P. 389—416.
17. Чаплыгина А. Б., Фурсова Н. Л. К вопросу о расширении гнездового ареала рябинника в Харьковской области ...
Regional Geographic Information Systems of Health and Environmental Monitoring
... their structures (on the example of the Baikal region)], PhD thes., Novosibirsk, 99 p. (In Russ.)
15. Makarov, V. Z., Novakovskij, B. A., Chumachenko, A. N. 2002, EHkologogeograficheskoe kartografirovanie gorodov [Ekology-geografical mapping of the cities], Moscow, 196 p. (In Russ.)
16. Malhazova, S. M., Kotova, T. V., Tikunov, V. S. 2015, Mapping of dynamics of incidence of the population: approaches and new decisions, Geodeziya i kartografiya, no. 10, p. 25—33. (In Russ.)
17. Methodical recommendations ...
Population change in global urban regions
... Grchiћ, M., Sluka, N. 2006. Globalni gradovi. Belgrad.
13. Annuaire Statistique de la France. 2005. Vol. 108. P. 2005.
14. Anuário Estatístico do Estado de São Paulo 2002. 2004. São Paulo.
15. Beaverstock, J., Smith, R., Taylor, P. 1999. Cities, № 16 (6), pp. 445—458.
16. Beijing Statistical Yearbook. 2007. Beijing.
17. Focus on London. 2001—2008. London.
18. Indicateurs statistiques de la Region de Bruxelles-Capitale. 2007. Bruxelle.
19. Insee. Ile-de-France. 2006. Faits ...
Methods for assessing the quality of life of Russian urban youth
In this article, I carry out a critical analysis of the existing methods for assessing the quality of life of cities and propose a method for assessing Russian cities as experienced by youth. The main result of this study is a method that can be used by municipal authorities in preparing strategic planning documents. I conclude that the existing methods for ...
Changes in the Population Distribution and Transport Network of Saint Petersburg
... changes in the population gravity centre, the standard deviational ellipse and characteristics of the street network centrality show that Saint Petersburg is at the final stage of urbanization and its development pattern is similar to that of other major cities.
1. Druzhinin, A. G. 2014, Mother countries and metropolisation in contemporary Russia: conceptual approaches in political and geographical contexts, Izv. RAN. Ser. geogr, no. 1, p.19—27. (In Russ.)
2. Lachininskij, S. S., Semenova, I. V. ...
The dynamics of development of cities and local budgets
A case study of the Volga and Urals federal districts helps analyse the standing of large cities serving as “growth poles” identified with the help of two methodologies. The article offers a geographical analysis of three aspects of financial standing of municipalities:
financial independence, social orientation, territorial equity. The ...
Response of the Lithuanian municipalities to the First Wave of COVID-19
... measures they took. The main goal of this in-depth study is to compare the economic response measures included in the action plans of Riga and Tallinn, two large Lithuanian municipal administrations, as well as to analyse the narrative developed in the two cities. The methodology of this research is based on the review of literature, the analysis of action plans, and a case study. The Vilnius and Klaipėda city municipalities adopted action plans to support residents and businesses. Although there are many ...
Regional models of self-government in the non-German right cities of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania in the 16th — 17th centuries
The author considers the problem of regional self-government model functioning in the cities where the German right had not been introduced. The article analyses the systems of self-government in Vitebsk, Pinsk, Mogilev, Orsha and other settlements. The author introduced the notion of selfgovernment regulations, examines the functions ...
Moscow and its region: structural and functional transformations
... концепция современного города // Социологическая наука и социальная практика, 2013. № 3. C. 6—32.
21. Bauman Z. A Chronicle of Crisis: 2011—2016. L., UK, 2017. P. 163.
22. Howard E. The Garden Cities of Tomorrow. L., 1965.
23. Park R. E., Burgess E. W., McKenzie R. D., Wirth L. The City. Chicago, 1926.
24. Park R. Migration and the Marginal Man // American Journal of Sociology. 1928. Vol. 33. Р. 882—893.
25. Park R. Human Communities. The ...
Mythologization of the city in the works of B. Schulz and F. Kafka
The author examines the poetic specificity of depicting Drohobych and Prague using the novels «Cinnamon shops» and «The Hourglass Sanatorium » by Bruno Schulz and the novel «The Trial» by F.Kafka as an example. It is alleged that an insurmountable boundary between nature and culture leads to the creation of the negative myth of the city in Kafka's works, while for B.Schultz the connection between nature and spirituality of the city returns the author to the idea of the mythical alfa and omega of...
Population Change in the Neighbouring Regions of Russia and the European Union States
... demographic situation, which, however, differs from place to place. To attain the aims of the study, I analyse official data from Russian and EU statistical offices and map the results obtained. I identify significant differences between border regions and cities. The most adverse demographic situation is observed in the borderlands of the Baltics, a slightly better one in Poland and Finland. As to Russia’s border regions, a population increase is characteristic of Saint Petersburg and the Leningrad and ...
Linguo semiotics of the city: cross cultural dimension of place branding
... Ярославль, 2012.
16. Ashworth G. J. Marketing of places: What are we doing? // Marketing Urbano International Conference. Torino, 1994. P. 643—649.
17. Ashworth G., Kavaratzis M. Towards effective place brand management: Branding European cities and regions. Edward Elgar Publishing, 2010.
18. Anholt S. Definitions of Place Branding — Working towards a resolution // Place Branding and Public Diplomacy. 2010. Vol. 6, № 1. Р. 1—10.
19. Bad-Lauchstaedt. URL:
Crossborder and trans-border cooperation of medium-sized cities of Kaliningrad region in Baltic Sea Region
The forms of crossborder and transborder cooperation of mediumsized cities of Kaliningrad region in Baltic Sea Region are described. The
description of wto European Union’s instruments for international cooperation in Baltic Sea Region is presented. The short analysis of participation of medium-sized cities of Kaliningrad ...
Spatial planning in the European Union and the Russian Federation
.... In: Kaledin, N. V., Chistobaev, A. I. (eds.),
Geograficheskoe prostranstvo Rossii: obraz i modernizacija [Russian geographical space: the image and modernization], Saint Petersburg, 354 p.
6. Lappo, G. M. 1997, Geografija gorodov [Geography of cities], Moscow, 480 p.
7. Lexin, V., Karacharovskiy, V. 2007, Prichiny i posledstvija sverhkoncentracii jekonomicheskogo i social'nogo potencialov Rossii v ejo krupnyh gorodah [Causes and consequences of over-concentration of economic and social potential ...
Countries of the Baltic Region in the Global Culinary Space
... compete. The author sets out to explore characteristic features of the culinary space of nine Baltic States as part of the global culinary space. The author uses empirical data on the number of restaurants serving different national cuisines in the main cities of the region. The Baltic culinary space incorporates the world’s leading cuisines (Italian, Japanese, Chinese, etc.) as well as the local cuisines of the BSR countries. The world’s leading cuisines prove to be more influential in the region ...
Innovative development of rural settlements of the Leningrad region
The geography of modern innovation processes increasingly covers not only megalopolises and large industrial cities, but also rural areas. The issue of innovative development of the countryside has acquired particular prominence in the context of securing human capital and preventing the marginalization of rural settlements, though creating a favorable environment ...
The human impact on the chemical composition of plants in large industrial centres: The case of the city of Gomel
This article considers the features of heavy metal accumulation in individual plants of the true grasses and spurge families in two industrial areas in the city of Gomel and outside the city. The author analyses the heavy metal accumulation in the aquatic vegetation in the city’s waterways. It is shown that, in industrial areas, the Gramineae are charactersied by higher cadmium, barium, nickel, and molybdenum concentrations and the Euphorbiaceae by those of chromium. Aquatic plants show higher levels...
Battlefield memories of the youth in Yu. N. Ivanov’s oeuvre: The novel In a besieged ci
This article analyses Yu. N. Ivanov’s novel In a Besieged City, which was inspired by the author’s battlefield memories. Yu. N. Ivanov pictures the city as he saw it in April 1945. It is shown how descriptions of the works of architecture and art contribute to the artistic understanding of the history of Königsberg. The literary text based on what the author saw and experienced helps him to not only immerse himself in the past and relive it but also rewrite the past and change it to fit his concept...
The Effect of Migration on Latvia’s Sex and Age Composition
... decline has haunted Latvia for two and a half decades. Since 1990, the net migration rate has been negative, which contributes to depopulation. This study aims to reveal the effect of migration on the sex and age composition across Latvia and its largest cities. The authors consider hypothetical transformations in the country’s age structure in 2000—2015 in the case of zero net migration. The study uses the cohort component methods and considers the actual agespecific mortality and birth rates. The ...
From German Memel to Soviet Klaipeda (the restoration of the city in the first post-war decade)
This article characterizes the post-war period of urban development in the city of Klaipeda and draws attention to the problems in its restoration.
Свет городу // Советская Клайпеда. 1985. 26 янв.
Население — всего несколько человек // Советская Клайпеда. 1985. 26 янв.
К новым успехам! // Советская Клайпеда. 1945. 5 дек.
Первый комендант портового города // Советская Клайпеда. 1975. 16 апр.
шашки на деревьях // Советская...
Socio-spatial differentiation in transition: a preliminary comparative analysis of post-soviet St Petersburg and Riga
Research into the socio-spatial dynamics in Central-Eastern European cities is an im-portant area of contemporary transition studies. Open issues in this domain range from defining a theoretical framework to data availability and methodological approaches. As to the former aspect, recent literature focuses on the hybrid ...
Spatial structure and development of settlements in the Saint Petersburg agglomeration
12. Kolyasnikov, V.A. 2015, Development of the concept of “urban agglomeration», Akademicheskii vestnik UralNIIproekt RAASN [Academic Bulletin UralNIIproekt RAASN], no.2, p. 10—15 (in Russ.).
13. Lappo, G.M. 1987 Goroda i puti v budushchee [Cities and paths to the future], Moscow, 236 p. (in Russ.).
14. Beaujeu-Garnier, J. Chabot. G.1966, Traité de géographie urbaine, Année.
15. Lappo, G.M., Polyan, P.M., Selivanova, T.I. 2007, Agglomerations of Russia in the XXI century, Vestnik Fonda ...
The Baltics and Russian North-West: the Core and the Periphery in the 2000s
5. Karachurina, L. B., Mkrtchyan, N. V. 2013, Izmenenie chislennosti naselenija administrativnyh rajonov i gorodov Rossii (1989—2010 gg.): centro-periferijnye vzaimodejstvija [Changes in the population of administrative districts and cities of Russia (1989—2010): Center-periphery interaction], Voprosy geografii [Questions of geography], T. 135 (Geography of Population and Social Geography), p. 82—107.
6. Karachurina, L. B., Mkrtchyan, N. V. 2012, Migracionnaja podvizhnost' molodezhi ...
Intergenerational transmission of poverty: a challenge for Poland
... Warzywoda-Kruszyńska,W., Grotowska-Leder, J. 1996, Wielkomiejska bieda w okresie transformacji. Zasiłkobiorcy pomocy społecznej, Łódź, Instytut Socjologii UŁ.
11. Warzywoda-Kruszyńska, W., Grotowska-Leder, J. 1998, Concentration of Poverty in Polish Large Cities: An Example of Lodz, L`Europe du Centre-Est. Eine wissenschaftliche Zeitschrift, Vol. 20—23, Pat. 3—4.
12. Warzywoda-Kruszyńska, W. (ed.), 1998, Żyć i pracować w enklawach biedy, Łódź, Instytut Socjologii UŁ.
The demographic problems of the Baltic cities: general trends
This article discusses the trends of demographic development of the Baltic Sea region's cities. It analyses the factors affecting the urban population dynamics in the second half of the 20th — the beginning of the 21st centuries. The authors emphasise the dependence of the Baltic cities on the socioeconomic development level throughout ...
Сoastal exclaves among enclosed territories of the world
(дата обращения: 24.04.2018).
34. Brunei // City Population. URL:
(дата обращения: 24.04.2018).
35. East Timor: Districts, Cities & Urban Areas // City Population. URL:
(дата обращения: 24.04.2018).
36. The population of the Sultanate by the end of May 2015 // National Center for Statistics and Information....
The effect of railway network evolution on the Kaliningrad region’s landscape environment
This article addresses methodology of modern landscape studies from the perspective of natural and man-made components of a territory. Railway infrastructure is not only an important system-building element of economic and settlement patterns; it also affects cultural landscapes. The study of cartographic materials and historiography made it possible to identify the main stages of the development of the Kaliningrad railway network in terms of its territorial scope and to describe causes of the observed...
The coastalisation of population in today’s Russia: A sociogeographical explication
... population is considered as a prolonged, universal, although not a ubiquitous — socio-geographical process. This process is a result of the evolving spatial architecture of countries and regions, a lack of balance between the potential of leading cities, economic and settlement projections of global geoecological, geo-economic, and geopolitical processes, the scale and effect of transnational and transboundary contracts, and the changing images of coastal areas. This article analyses the trend ...