The economy of Russian Baltic regions: development level and dynamics, structure and international trade partners
... region<1>. The population of Russia’s Baltic regions increased by 8, 13 and 6 %, respectively, from the end of 2014 to 1 October 2021 (the data of the national census).<2>
Overview of Russia’s Baltic regions
Area, 1,000 km2
Population, 1,000 people (as of 01.10.2021)
The region as % of the total national:
Migration and the Transformation of Multiethnic Population Structure in the Kaliningrad Region of the Post-Soviet Era
... материалы международ-ной конференции. In: Fedorov, G. M., Emelyanova, L. L. (eds.), 2008, Migracija i social'no-jekonomicheskoe razvitie stran regiona Baltijskogo morja [Migration and
socio-economic development of the Baltic Sea Region], Kaliningrad, p. 56—75.
3. Emelyanova, L. L. Kretinin, G. V. 2008, Formirovanie Kaliningradskogo sociuma i problema migracii [Formation of Kaliningrad society and the problem of migration], Kaliningradskie arhivy [Kaliningrad archives], no. 8, p. 159—166....
Demographic development processes in the history of the Kaliningrad region: national trends and regional specifics
This article aims to identify the main demographic development trends and features observed in the Kaliningrad region from a historical perspective and assess the extent to which the region’s demographic development corresponds to the national model accepted in contemporary historiography. The empirical sources used in this study include demographic statistics ...
Reflections on the history of the Kaliningrad region
... Kaliningradskaya oblast': uchebnoe posobie dlya shkol'nikov. 10—11 klassy [History of Western Russia. Kaliningrad region’s: Educational handbook for pupils]. Moscow.
9. Klemesheva, M. A., 1991. Ocherki istorii kraya [Essays on the history of the region]. Kaliningrad.
10. Kretinin, G. V., 2007. Istoriya Zapadnoi Rossii. Kaliningradskaya oblast': uchebnoe posobie dlya shkol'nikov. 8—9 klassy [History of Western Russia. Kaliningrad region’s: Educational handbook for secondary school teachers. 8—9 klasses] ...
Geography and economy of the Kaliningrad region: limitations and prospects of development
With its exclave status, the Kaliningrad region has been drawing attention of many researchers in different fields. Yet the prospects for cooperation between the region and neighbouring communities in Poland and Lithuania, which once constituted an integrated social, economic and political space,...
The development of Kaliningrad regional economy: A new stage of restructuring
... (accessed 15.09.2012).
11. Federal State Statistics Service, 2013, available at: http://www.gks.ru (accessed 15.12.2013).
12. Klemeshev, A. P., Mau, V. A. (eds.), 2011, Strategii razvitija Kaliningradskoj oblasti [Strategy development of the Kaliningrad region], Kaliningrad, Immanuel Kant State University of Russia, 472 p.
13. Strategija social'no-jekonomicheskogo razvitija Kaliningradskoj oblasti na dolgosrochnuju perspektivu. Postanovlenie Pravitel'stva Kaliningradskoj oblasti ot 02 avgusta 2012 goda № ...
Towards a Stable and Dynamic Economy in the Kaliningrad Region
12. Voloshenko, K. Yu., Gimbitsky, K. K., Kuznetsova, A. L., Fedorov, G. M. 2015, Modelirovanie regional'noj sistemy dolgosrochnoj ustojchivosti Kaliningradskoj oblasti [Modelling of long-term sustainability of the regional system of the Kaliningrad region], Kaliningrad, Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University Publishing.
13.Modernizacija jekonomiki. Gosudarstvennaja programma Kaliningradskoj oblasti [Modernization of the economy. The State Programme of the Kaliningrad region], 2014, Resolution of the Government ...
Changes in the cultural landscape of the Kaliningrad region’s periphery in the 19th/20th centuries
10. Gosudarstvennyj Arhiv Kaliningradskoj Oblasti [State Archive of the Kaliningrad Oblast], F. 297, Op. 7, D. 266, L. 67.
11. Orlyonok, V. V. (ed.), 2002, Geograficheskij atlas Kaliningradskoj oblasti [Geographical Atlas of the Kaliningrad region], Kaliningrad, 276 p.
12. Gusev, А. L., Maslov, V. N. 2006, Istorija sel'skogo hozjajstva Kaliningradskoj oblasti [The history of agriculture of the Kaliningrad region], Kaliningrad, 464 p.
13. Kalutskov, V. N. 1995, Problemy issledovanija kul'turnogo ...
International positioning of the region: the image of the Kaliningrad region in the media space of the Baltic states
The issue of international positioning is crucial to all exclaves, and the Kaliningrad region surrounded by the Baltic region countries is no exception. This contribution aims to describe a general strategic path for positioning the Russian territory in question. To produce recommendations on a positioning concept, it looks at the ties ...
The history of the integration between Russia’s Kaliningrad region and Poland’s northeastern voivodeships: A programme approach
This article considers the development of integration between Russia’s Kaliningrad region and Poland’s northeastern voivodeships in 1946—2016. The authors set out to identify the main results of Russian-Polish cross-border cooperation in the context of the changing historical and political paradigms in the Baltic region. The authors ...
Assessing spatial and temporal changes in the landscape vulnerability in the Kaliningrad region as an element of sustainable spatial planning
... 2005, Otsenka chuvstvitel'nosti dyunnykh prirodnykh kompleksov (na primere Kurshskoy kosy) [Evaluation of the sensitivity of the natural dune complexes (for example the Curonian Spit)], Environmental problems of the Kaliningrad region and the Baltic region, Kaliningrad, p. 119-123.
2. Antonova, E. V. et al. (eds.), Orlenok, V. V. et al. (red.), 2002, Geograficheskiy atlas Kaliningradskoy oblasti [Geographical Atlas of the Kaliningrad Region], Kaliningrad, 276 p.
3. Gradostroitel'nyy kodeks Rossiyskoy Federatsii ...
Human Resource Efficiency as a Development Factor for the Kaliningrad Economy
... Kaliningradskoj oblasti trudovymi resursami [Economic and demographic outlook and the prospects for the economy of the Kaliningrad Region Human Resource], Vestnik Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University, no. 3, p. 53—59.
16. Fedorov, G. 2011, La region de Kaliningrad, future “couloirs de developpement”, La Resurgence de la Russie? AGIR, no .45, Fevrier, p. 97—110.
17. Fedorov, G. 2014, The concept of geo-demographic situation and geodemographic typology of the subjects of the Russian Federation....
Geosituational Modelling of Coastal Marine Systems
... risks presented by industrial agriculture and other types of land use.
1. Fedorov, G. M. (ed.), 2016, Atlas poslevoennyh izmenenij na territorii sovremennoj Kaliningradskoj oblasti [Atlas of post-war changes on the territory of the modern Kaliningrad region], Kaliningrad, 36 p. (In Russ.)
2. Borodin, E. V., Churin, D. A., Chernyshkov, P. P. 2014, Influence of dynamics of waters on biomass and distribution of biological resources of a pelagiala of the southern parts of the Atlantic and Quiet oceans, Vestnik ...
Commodity flow model for an exclave region: Rent-seeking in the ‘transitional period’ of the special economic zone
... the special economic zone (SEZ) functioning. The key method of analysis is the comparison of data on the generation of gross regional product and regional foreign economic activities (including export and import of goods and moving goods from/into the Kaliningrad region to other Russian regions). It results in a conceptual CFMER, which is assessed as of 2011. The availability of additional — as compared to a regular region — data on commodity flows in the framework of the SEZ transitional period makes it possible ...
The Youth in Kaliningrad, Gdansk and Klaipeda: Geopolitical Vision of the World, Identity and Images of the Other
This work juxtaposes the analysis of the federal discourse on the exclave position of the Kaliningrad region in 1994—2012 based on the screening by the Nezavisimaya gazeta and the results of surveys of students at the Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University and the Universities of Gdansk and Klaipeda using a similar questionnaire. Students of all three ...
Local border traffic and the development of retail trade in the Kaliningrad region and Polish borderlands
... and the Russian Federation often discussed in the international dialogue. The three years of LBT mechanism have shown its practical significance for the development of research and cultural contacts, cooperation between municipalities and NGOs of the Kaliningrad region and the borderland (Pomeranian and Warmian-Masurian) voivodeships of Poland. When considering retail trade as a structural element of economy, it is important to address the differences in the effect LBT has had on the development of this sector ...
Media images of the Kaliningrad region in the structure of migration attitudes of millennials and the reform generation
This article explores the role of a regional media image on migration attitudes. Attention is drawn to the Kaliningrad region, a Russian exclave whose population growth is solely due to migration. The study aims to determine how the media images of Kaliningrad affect the decision to move. The research draws on Radaev’s concept of generations. It uses 2014—2018 regional ...
The effect of geographical position and employment fluctuations on rural settlement trends
... differences between regional settlement systems, still poorly understood but essential for strategic and spatial planning, are growing. This article draws on the concept of the geographical demographic situation; it uses official statistics on Russian regions and Kaliningrad municipalities and settlements to explore the connection between rural settlement trends and employment fluctuations caused by structural shifts in Russian regional economies. It is shown how settlement polarisation affects differences in ...
The role of the Kaliningrad region in the development of Russian-German relations
Germany is one of the principal partners of the Russian Federation. The Kaliningrad region plays a significant role in the development of partnership between the two countries, but the existing opportunities for development are not fully exploited. This article analyses the development, current state and prospects of an increasing role ...
The Republic of Belarus and the Kaliningrad region of Russia as a sub-regional security complex
... developments in Europe are closely connected with military security. Although this interdependence is not new, the regional security system has been relatively stable for quite some time. The steadily, albeit gradually aggravating situation around the Kaliningrad region and the Republic of Belarus has caused a response — coordinated cooperation in the framework of the Union State. The consequence of which was the formation of a sub-regional security complex (SRSC), which includes the Republic of Belarus and ...
Attractiveness of the Kaliningrad region: pull factors and reasons for disappointments of migrants from Russian regions
The Kaliningrad region’s attractiveness to migrants results in increasing external (international) and interregional migration. The interregional flow is a major contributor, accounting for approximately 60 per cent of the net migration gain. However, the age composition ...
Macroalgae Suggested for Inclusion in the New Edition of the Red List of the Kaliningrad region
This article is the very first description of macroscopic algae suggested for inclusion in the list of species protected in the Kaliningrad region. The regional significance of our findings relates to the preparation of the second edition of the Red List of the Kaliningrad region. The previous 2010 edition lacked an algae section due to the scarcity of pertinent research. In this work, we ...
Interregional and cross-country flows of labor resources in the Kaliningrad region: factors and vectors in the contemporary Eurasian context
The article focuses on the urgent issues of the labour resourses repeoduction in the Kaliningrad region as a result of interregional and international labor migration for the last years. Reducing the number of own labor resources in changing external and internal conditions for the regional socioeconomic system determines the urgency of migration ...
Polish-Russian Small Border Traffic in the Context of Russia-EU Relations
This article sets out to analyse the Polish-Russian agreement on small border traffic in the context of relations between the European Union and the Russian Federation. The analysis focuses on the role of the Kaliningrad region of the Russian Federation in relations between the EU and Russia and conditions of the Polish-Russian agreement on small border traffic. The methodology employed is based on analysing primary (documents) and secondary (scholarly publications, press ...
Three development strategies of the Kaliningrad region (1991—2018)
After the demise of the USSR the Kaliningrad region became a Russian exclave, geographically separated from the rest of Russia by foreign states. The development of the region became dependent on external factors, including Russia’s political relations with foreign countries, NATO and EU. Geopolitical ...
Cross-border cooperation in tourism between the Warmian-Masurian voivodeship and the Kaliningrad region
The border location of the Warmian-Masurian voivodeship and the Kaliningrad region is a prerequisite for active cooperation at different institutional levels. The development of cross-border cooperation between the Kaliningrad region and the Warmian-Masurian voivodeship was launched in 1992, when the first agreements on international ...
The foreign policy of Poland and the Kaliningrad region in 1989—2012
This article sets out to analyse the role of the Kaliningrad region in the Polish foreign policy after 1989. The analysis focuses on the political and regional determinants, which had the greatest impact on the Poland-Kaliningrad region relations. The methodology used in the article is not unusual for political ...