Spatial differentiation of rural territories in the Kaliningrad region: implications for socio-economic policies
... Kaliningrad’s immediate suburban zone (Fig. 3).
Fig. 3. Urban and rural population change, 2023 on 2010,
% (as at the beginning of the year)
Compiled based on data: Key indicators of economic and social development of cities and districts of the Kaliningrad region. Kaliningrad: Kaliningradstat, 2011 ; Estimated population of the Kaliningrad region as of 1 January 2023, based on the recalculation of the 2020 All-Russian Population Census results, 2023, Kaliningradstat, URL:
The economy of Russian Baltic regions: development level and dynamics, structure and international trade partners
... region<1>. The population of Russia’s Baltic regions increased by 8, 13 and 6 %, respectively, from the end of 2014 to 1 October 2021 (the data of the national census).<2>
Overview of Russia’s Baltic regions
Area, 1,000 km2
Population, 1,000 people (as of 01.10.2021)
The region as % of the total national:
The impact of the food embargo on consumer preferences and cross-border practices in the Kaliningrad region
The Russian food market has been a fascinating subject for researchers investigating food security risks and ways to mitigate them since the embargo was imposed in 2014. The Kaliningrad region, an exclave of Russia, responded more sensitively to the restrictions than any other territory of the country due to the heavy dependence of its food market on imported finished products and raw materials, as well as the transit from Russia via ...
International heritage in the memorial landscape of the Kaliningrad region
This article aims to analyse the structure of sites in the Kaliningrad region commemorating events, phenomena or figures of international history, as well as to reveal their symbolic significance. The study uses empirical data on the origin, time of construction and purpose of the monuments, memorials and other places of ...
Migration and the Transformation of Multiethnic Population Structure in the Kaliningrad Region of the Post-Soviet Era
... материалы международ-ной конференции. In: Fedorov, G. M., Emelyanova, L. L. (eds.), 2008, Migracija i social'no-jekonomicheskoe razvitie stran regiona Baltijskogo morja [Migration and
socio-economic development of the Baltic Sea Region], Kaliningrad, p. 56—75.
3. Emelyanova, L. L. Kretinin, G. V. 2008, Formirovanie Kaliningradskogo sociuma i problema migracii [Formation of Kaliningrad society and the problem of migration], Kaliningradskie arhivy [Kaliningrad archives], no. 8, p. 159—166....
Comparative analysis of the territorial support frame of settlement in coastal areas: the case of St. Petersburg and Kaliningrad regions
... Achieving corresponding theoretical and practical goals requires qualitative and quantitative analysis of urbanisation in coastal areas. This article aims to determine whether the territorial support frameworks of settlement in the St. Petersburg and Kaliningrad regions meet the modern conditions of settlement system development. A cartographic modelling of the settlement structures of the two Russian regions was carried out using Golden Software Surfer 20. The models obtained were supplemented with isolines ...
Demographic development processes in the history of the Kaliningrad region: national trends and regional specifics
This article aims to identify the main demographic development trends and features observed in the Kaliningrad region from a historical perspective and assess the extent to which the region’s demographic development corresponds to the national model accepted in contemporary historiography. The empirical sources used in this study include demographic statistics ...
Reflections on the history of the Kaliningrad region
... Kaliningradskaya oblast': uchebnoe posobie dlya shkol'nikov. 10—11 klassy [History of Western Russia. Kaliningrad region’s: Educational handbook for pupils]. Moscow.
9. Klemesheva, M. A., 1991. Ocherki istorii kraya [Essays on the history of the region]. Kaliningrad.
10. Kretinin, G. V., 2007. Istoriya Zapadnoi Rossii. Kaliningradskaya oblast': uchebnoe posobie dlya shkol'nikov. 8—9 klassy [History of Western Russia. Kaliningrad region’s: Educational handbook for secondary school teachers. 8—9 klasses] ...
Geography and economy of the Kaliningrad region: limitations and prospects of development
With its exclave status, the Kaliningrad region has been drawing attention of many researchers in different fields. Yet the prospects for cooperation between the region and neighbouring communities in Poland and Lithuania, which once constituted an integrated social, economic and political space,...
The development of Kaliningrad regional economy: A new stage of restructuring
... (accessed 15.09.2012).
11. Federal State Statistics Service, 2013, available at: http://www.gks.ru (accessed 15.12.2013).
12. Klemeshev, A. P., Mau, V. A. (eds.), 2011, Strategii razvitija Kaliningradskoj oblasti [Strategy development of the Kaliningrad region], Kaliningrad, Immanuel Kant State University of Russia, 472 p.
13. Strategija social'no-jekonomicheskogo razvitija Kaliningradskoj oblasti na dolgosrochnuju perspektivu. Postanovlenie Pravitel'stva Kaliningradskoj oblasti ot 02 avgusta 2012 goda № ...
Towards a Stable and Dynamic Economy in the Kaliningrad Region
12. Voloshenko, K. Yu., Gimbitsky, K. K., Kuznetsova, A. L., Fedorov, G. M. 2015, Modelirovanie regional'noj sistemy dolgosrochnoj ustojchivosti Kaliningradskoj oblasti [Modelling of long-term sustainability of the regional system of the Kaliningrad region], Kaliningrad, Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University Publishing.
13.Modernizacija jekonomiki. Gosudarstvennaja programma Kaliningradskoj oblasti [Modernization of the economy. The State Programme of the Kaliningrad region], 2014, Resolution of the Government ...
International positioning of the region: the image of the Kaliningrad region in the media space of the Baltic states
The issue of international positioning is crucial to all exclaves, and the Kaliningrad region surrounded by the Baltic region countries is no exception. This contribution aims to describe a general strategic path for positioning the Russian territory in question. To produce recommendations on a positioning concept, it looks at the ties ...
Changes in the cultural landscape of the Kaliningrad region’s periphery in the 19th/20th centuries
10. Gosudarstvennyj Arhiv Kaliningradskoj Oblasti [State Archive of the Kaliningrad Oblast], F. 297, Op. 7, D. 266, L. 67.
11. Orlyonok, V. V. (ed.), 2002, Geograficheskij atlas Kaliningradskoj oblasti [Geographical Atlas of the Kaliningrad region], Kaliningrad, 276 p.
12. Gusev, А. L., Maslov, V. N. 2006, Istorija sel'skogo hozjajstva Kaliningradskoj oblasti [The history of agriculture of the Kaliningrad region], Kaliningrad, 464 p.
13. Kalutskov, V. N. 1995, Problemy issledovanija kul'turnogo ...
The history of the integration between Russia’s Kaliningrad region and Poland’s northeastern voivodeships: A programme approach
This article considers the development of integration between Russia’s Kaliningrad region and Poland’s northeastern voivodeships in 1946—2016. The authors set out to identify the main results of Russian-Polish cross-border cooperation in the context of the changing historical and political paradigms in the Baltic region. The authors ...
Assessing spatial and temporal changes in the landscape vulnerability in the Kaliningrad region as an element of sustainable spatial planning
... 2005, Otsenka chuvstvitel'nosti dyunnykh prirodnykh kompleksov (na primere Kurshskoy kosy) [Evaluation of the sensitivity of the natural dune complexes (for example the Curonian Spit)], Environmental problems of the Kaliningrad region and the Baltic region, Kaliningrad, p. 119-123.
2. Antonova, E. V. et al. (eds.), Orlenok, V. V. et al. (red.), 2002, Geograficheskiy atlas Kaliningradskoy oblasti [Geographical Atlas of the Kaliningrad Region], Kaliningrad, 276 p.
3. Gradostroitel'nyy kodeks Rossiyskoy Federatsii ...
Human Resource Efficiency as a Development Factor for the Kaliningrad Economy
... Kaliningradskoj oblasti trudovymi resursami [Economic and demographic outlook and the prospects for the economy of the Kaliningrad Region Human Resource], Vestnik Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University, no. 3, p. 53—59.
16. Fedorov, G. 2011, La region de Kaliningrad, future “couloirs de developpement”, La Resurgence de la Russie? AGIR, no .45, Fevrier, p. 97—110.
17. Fedorov, G. 2014, The concept of geo-demographic situation and geodemographic typology of the subjects of the Russian Federation....
Geosituational Modelling of Coastal Marine Systems
... risks presented by industrial agriculture and other types of land use.
1. Fedorov, G. M. (ed.), 2016, Atlas poslevoennyh izmenenij na territorii sovremennoj Kaliningradskoj oblasti [Atlas of post-war changes on the territory of the modern Kaliningrad region], Kaliningrad, 36 p. (In Russ.)
2. Borodin, E. V., Churin, D. A., Chernyshkov, P. P. 2014, Influence of dynamics of waters on biomass and distribution of biological resources of a pelagiala of the southern parts of the Atlantic and Quiet oceans, Vestnik ...
Commodity flow model for an exclave region: Rent-seeking in the ‘transitional period’ of the special economic zone
... the special economic zone (SEZ) functioning. The key method of analysis is the comparison of data on the generation of gross regional product and regional foreign economic activities (including export and import of goods and moving goods from/into the Kaliningrad region to other Russian regions). It results in a conceptual CFMER, which is assessed as of 2011. The availability of additional — as compared to a regular region — data on commodity flows in the framework of the SEZ transitional period makes it possible ...
The Youth in Kaliningrad, Gdansk and Klaipeda: Geopolitical Vision of the World, Identity and Images of the Other
This work juxtaposes the analysis of the federal discourse on the exclave position of the Kaliningrad region in 1994—2012 based on the screening by the Nezavisimaya gazeta and the results of surveys of students at the Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University and the Universities of Gdansk and Klaipeda using a similar questionnaire. Students of all three ...
Local border traffic and the development of retail trade in the Kaliningrad region and Polish borderlands
... and the Russian Federation often discussed in the international dialogue. The three years of LBT mechanism have shown its practical significance for the development of research and cultural contacts, cooperation between municipalities and NGOs of the Kaliningrad region and the borderland (Pomeranian and Warmian-Masurian) voivodeships of Poland. When considering retail trade as a structural element of economy, it is important to address the differences in the effect LBT has had on the development of this sector ...
The effect of geographical position and employment fluctuations on rural settlement trends
... differences between regional settlement systems, still poorly understood but essential for strategic and spatial planning, are growing. This article draws on the concept of the geographical demographic situation; it uses official statistics on Russian regions and Kaliningrad municipalities and settlements to explore the connection between rural settlement trends and employment fluctuations caused by structural shifts in Russian regional economies. It is shown how settlement polarisation affects differences in ...
The role of the Kaliningrad region in the development of Russian-German relations
Germany is one of the principal partners of the Russian Federation. The Kaliningrad region plays a significant role in the development of partnership between the two countries, but the existing opportunities for development are not fully exploited. This article analyses the development, current state and prospects of an increasing role ...
Attractiveness of the Kaliningrad region: pull factors and reasons for disappointments of migrants from Russian regions
The Kaliningrad region’s attractiveness to migrants results in increasing external (international) and interregional migration. The interregional flow is a major contributor, accounting for approximately 60 per cent of the net migration gain. However, the age composition ...
The Republic of Belarus and the Kaliningrad region of Russia as a sub-regional security complex
... developments in Europe are closely connected with military security. Although this interdependence is not new, the regional security system has been relatively stable for quite some time. The steadily, albeit gradually aggravating situation around the Kaliningrad region and the Republic of Belarus has caused a response — coordinated cooperation in the framework of the Union State. The consequence of which was the formation of a sub-regional security complex (SRSC), which includes the Republic of Belarus and ...
Macroalgae Suggested for Inclusion in the New Edition of the Red List of the Kaliningrad region
This article is the very first description of macroscopic algae suggested for inclusion in the list of species protected in the Kaliningrad region. The regional significance of our findings relates to the preparation of the second edition of the Red List of the Kaliningrad region. The previous 2010 edition lacked an algae section due to the scarcity of pertinent research. In this work, we ...
Interregional and cross-country flows of labor resources in the Kaliningrad region: factors and vectors in the contemporary Eurasian context
The article focuses on the urgent issues of the labour resourses repeoduction in the Kaliningrad region as a result of interregional and international labor migration for the last years. Reducing the number of own labor resources in changing external and internal conditions for the regional socioeconomic system determines the urgency of migration ...