Norway’s International Development Assistance Policy in the Current International Environment: Mechanisms of Justification
This article addresses the basic mechanisms of Norway’s current Development Assistance policy. The author analyses the strengthening of the financial policy and principal mechanisms for justifying Norway’s participation in the ODA as well as the country’s foreign policy objectives attained through assistance. The article examines specific features of Norway’s development policy, which are crucial to understand contemporary international aid practices. The country’s development policy implemented bilaterally and multilaterally is an effective mechanism of promoting Norway’s economic and political interests. It is also an important subject for research. The authors analyses the evolution of the ODA objectives, its institutions and their international expertise. Special attention is devoted to the current shift of the ODA policy to the issues of its effectiveness. The recent shift to social cooperation development by involving NGOs and private businesses and investing in the social sphere is also examined. The a rticle analyses Norway’s official position on humanitarian assistance in crises and armed conflicts. The author examines a number of cases of Norway’s International Development Assistance policy.
1. Bartenev, V. 2015, Svjazka "bezopasnost' — razvitie" v sovremennyh zapadnyh issledovanijah, Mezhdunarodnye process, T. 13, Vol. 3, p. 78—97.
2. Nil, K., Markova, S. 2011, Analiticheskij obzor po informacionno-kommunikacionnoj strategii dlja rossijskoj programmy sodej-stvija mezhdunarodnomu razvitiju: analiz opyta stran-donorov, Vestnik mezhdunarodnyh organizacij, no. 2, p. 65—94.
3. Bartenev, V. I., Glazunova, E. N. (eds.), 2012, Sodejstvie mezhdunarodnomu razvitiju [International Development Assistance], Lecture course, Moscow, 408 p.
4. Addison, T., Niño-Zarazúa, M., 2015, Finn Tarp. AID, social policy and development, Journal of International Development, no. 27. p. 1351—1365.
5. Banks, N., Hulme, D. 2012, The role of NGOs and civil society. In: Development and poverty reduction, BWPI Working Paper, no. 171, June, available at: http://www.g20civil.com/upload/iblock/9b1/rolengo.pdf (accesed 15.01.2016).
6. Chiripanhura, B., Niño-Zarazúa, M. 2015, Aid, political business cycles and growth in Africa, Journal of International Development, no. 27, p. 1387—1421.
7. Education for Development. Meld. St. 25 (2013—2014). Report to the Storting. (White Paper), available at: https://www.regjeringen. no/en/dokumenter/meld.-st.-25-2013-2014/id762554/?ch=1&q= (accessed 20.12.2015).
8. Historic increase in humanitarian aid, 2015, Press release, 7 July, available at: https://www.regjeringen.no/en/aktuelt/increase-humanitarian-sid/id2455931/ (accessed 29.10.2015).
9. Increase of half a billion kroner for global education. 2015, Press release, 7 July, available at: https://www.regjeringen.no/en/aktuelt/global-education/id2456446/ (accessed 29.10.2015).
10. Leiderer, S. 2015, Donor coordination for effective government policies? Journal of International Development, no. 27, p. 1422—1445.
11. Minister Vidar Helgesen's introductory speech at the seminar «Jobs for the Poor: The Role of Private Sector Development» at the Christian Michelsen Institute, 2015, Bergen, 2 June, available at: https://www.regjeringen.no/en/aktuelt/speech_cmi/id2415355/ (accessed 29.10.2015)
12. M. Latek The challenge of coordinating EU development policies. Fragmentation, a disaster? 2015, European Parliament Research Service, January, 28 p.
13. NORAD, 2014, The Oil for Development Programme. Annual report, available at: https://www.norad.no/globalassets/publikasjoner-2015-/oil-for-developmentannual-report-2015.pdf (accessed 16.12.2015).
14. NORAD, 2013, Health and Education. Results report, p. 122.
15. NORAD, 2015, Official Web-site NORAD, available at: https://www.norad.no/ (accessed 16.12.2015).
16. Norway and the United Nations: Common Future, Common Solutions, Meld. St. 33 (2011—2012), 2012, Report to the Storting. (White Paper), September, MFA, Oslo, available at: vhttps://www.regjeringen.no (accessed 16.12.2015).
17. Norway increases support for UNICEF’s education efforts, 2015, Press release, 7 June, available at: https://www.regjeringen.no/en/aktuelt/norway-increasessupport-for-unicefs-education-efforts/id242667. (accessed 29.10.2015).
18. Development Co-operation Report 2012: Lessons in Linking Sustainability and Development, 2012, OECD, OECD Publishing, available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/dcr-2012-en (accessed 2.11.2015).
19. Development Co-operation. Peer Review, The Development Assistance Committee: Enabling effective development, 2013, OECD, Norway 2013, available at: http://www.oecd.org/dac/peer-reviews/Norway_FINAL_2013.pdf (accessed 2.11.2015).
20. Better Policies for Development 2014: Policy Coherence and Illicit Financial Flows, 2014, OECD, OECD Publishing, p. 93, available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/9789264210325-en (accessed 15.11.2015)
21. Opportunities for All: Human Rights in Norway’s Foreign Policy and Development Cooperation. Meld. St. 10 (2014—2015), 2015, Report to the Storting (white paper), available at: https://www.regjeringen.no/en/dokumenter/meld.-st.-10-2014-2015/id2345623/ (accessed 20.01.2016).
22. Patrick, W. 2014, Quirk. Calibrating U. S. and European Development Aid for the Reshaping World Order. In: Liberal Order in a Post-Western World, The Transatlantic Academy, May.
23. The Prime Minister´s Opening Speech at the Oslo Summit of Education for Development, 2016, Regjeringen, available at: https://www.regjeringen.no/en/dep/smk/organization-map/prime-minister-erna-solberg/speeches-and-arti. (accessed 20.01.2016).
24. State Secretary Tone Skogen's speech at the 10th anniversary of the Oil for Development Programme, 2015, Regjeringen, 21 October, available at: https://www.regjeringen.no/en/aktuelt/tale-ved-ti-ars-jubileet-for-olje-for-utvikling/id2458730/ (дата обращения 18.12. 2015)
25. Tjønneland, Elling N. 2015, African development: what role do the rising powers play? The Norwegian Peacebuilding Resource Centre. Report, January, 9 p.
26. Working together: Private sector development in Norwegian development cooperation Meld. St. 35 (2014—2015), 2015, Report to the Storting. (White paper), Summary, available at: https://www.regjeringen.no/en/dokumenter/meld.-st.-35-20142015/id2423253/ (accessed 15.01.2016).