The Belarus Business Environment as Assessed by the Management of Leading Finnish Companies Operating in the Country
Inward foreign investment stock has grown remarkably in Belarus. It increased tenfold since 2000 to reach over $14 billion by the end of 2012. According to the Central Bank of Belarus, Finnish firms have invested nearly $100 million in Belarus making Finland the sixteenth most active foreign investor in the country. Approximately 7,000 companies with foreign capital were registered in Belarus by the beginning of 2013. Finnish companies founded three dozen of these foreign firms. A lack of scientific reports on the perception of foreign businesspeople in the Belarusian business environment necessitated an empirical study. This article studies the attitudes of the directors of Finnish firms operating in Belarus on the Belarusian business environment. In September-October 2013, the author conducted interviews with directors of 10 Finnish corporations. The PEST model was used to describe the perception of the Belarusian business milieu by Finnish businesspeople. The main empirical finding can be summarised by quoting a Finnish CEO, “Belarus is like any other market on the globe with the exception that foreign firms do not want to attract publicity about their activities in the country due to the poor public image of Belarus.”
1. Astley, W. G.,Van de Ven, A. H. 1983, Central Perspectives and Debates in Organization Theory, Administrative Science Quarterly, no. 28, p. 245—273.
2. Aswathappa, K. 2009, Essentials of Business Environment, Himalaya Publishing House, Mumbai.
3. Belokon, M. 2014, Belarus slide package for a foreign investor, Pan-European Institute, University of Turku.
4. Cherunilam, F. 2009, Business Environment, Himalaya Publishing House, Mumbai.
5. Cherunilam, F. 2010, Elements of Business Environment, Himalaya Publishing House, Mumbai.
6. EBRD. Belarus — Country assessments, 2012, Transition Reports, available at: http://www.ebrd.com/downloads/research/transition/assessments/belarus.pdf (accessed 12.09.2014).
7. EIU, 2013, Belarus, Country Report, Economist Intelligence Unit, London.
8. Heikkilä, M. 2010, Suomalaisinvestointien poliittis-hallinnolliset riskit Venäjällä, Ukrainassa ja Valko-Venäjällä, Pan-European Institute, no. 1, University of Turku.
9. KPMG. Investment in Belarus, available at: http://www.kpmg.com/BY/en/IssuesAndInsights/ArticlesPublications/Press-Releases/Documents/Investment%20in%20Belarus%20WEB.pdf (accessed 12.09.2014).
10. Ministry of the Economy of the Republic of Belarus, 2013, Revera Consulting Group, Doing Business in Belarus, available at: http://www.economy.gov.by/dadvfiles/001713_783132_Doing_Business_ENG.pdf (accessed 12.08.2014).
11. Foreign direct investments, National Bank of the Republic of Belarus, vailable at: http://www.nbrb.by/engl/statistics/ForeignDirectInvestments/ (accessed 22.09.2014).
12. Pearce, J. A., Robinson, R. B. 1994, Strategic Management, Chicago.
13. Opros “Delovoy klimat v Respublike Belarus 2013”, RDWB, 2013, Repräsentanz der Deutschen Wirtschaft in Belarus.
14. Sharma, V. 2008, Business Environment: Concepts and techniques, BookEnclave, Jaipur.
15. Belarus Investment Guide, 2012, Sorainen, Priorbank and RZB Bank, available at: http://www.priorbank.by/download/info/BIG_2012-08-21-eng.pdf (accessed 14.03.2014).
16. Statistical Committee of Belarus. Statistical yearbook Republic of Belarus 2013. URL: http://www.belstat.gov.by/en/bgd/katalog-publikatsii/public_compilation/index_94/ (accessed 14.09.2014).
17. Statistical Committee of Belaru, 2014, Statistical review of Belarus, available at: http://www.belstat.gov.by/en/bgd/katalog-publikatsii/public_bulletin/index_102/ (accessed 14.09.2014).
18. Terpstra, V., Kenneth, D. Sorainen, Priorbank and RZB Bank , The Cultural Environment of International Business, South-Western Publishing C., Cincinnati.
19. Transparency International: Corruption Perceptions, 2012, available at: http://issuu.com/transparencyinternational/docs/cpi_2012_report?e=2496456/2010281 (accessed 14.09.2014).
20. UNCTAD: World Investment Report, 2014, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, available at: http://unctad.org/en/PublicationsLibrary/wir2014_en.pdf (accessed 14.09.2014).
21. Wetherley, P., Otter, D. 2008, The business environment: themes and issues, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
22. Worthington, I., Britton, C. 2009, The business environment, Financial Times & Prentice Hall, Harlow.
23. Wilk, P. 2012, Belarus slide package for a foreign investor, Pan-European Institute, University of Turku.
24. World Bank: World Bank Group — Belarus Partnership: Country Program Snapshot, available at: http://www.worldbank.org/content/dam/Worldbank/document/Belarus-Snapshot.pdf (accessed 12.08.2014).
25. World Bank: Doing Business, available at: http://www.doingbusiness.org/~/media/GIAWB/Doing%20Business/Documents/Annual-Reports/English/DB13-fullreport.pdf (accessed 12.08.2014).
26. Xu, L. C. 2011, The Effect of Business Environments on Development: Surveying New Firm-level Evidence, The World Bank Research Observer, no. 26, p. 310—340.
27. Yeremeyeva, I. 2009, Russian investments in Belarus, Pan-European Institute, no. 13, University of Turku.
28. Zashev, P. 2006, Belarus as a business opportunity? Pan-European Institute, no. 3, University of Turku.