Nuclear power in the Baltic Sea region: the history of emergence and the political and economic features of its development
This article focuses on the development of peaceful nuclear power. The author draws attention to the fact that nuclear power is a rather young branch of national economy. However, over recent decades, it has already seen rises and falls, and a number of states have had tragic experiences of nuclear emergencies. Nevertheless, many countries — including the three Baltic States of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania — express a strong interest in development, generation, and application of nuclear power. In the Baltic States, nuclear power dates back to the Soviet times, but its development was suspended pursuant to the EU regulations (the Ignalina NPP). Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia have been striving for energy independence from Russia — the principal supplier of energy carriers to these countries. For a long time, the three Baltic States have been proclaiming their unanimity on the general European path of development. However, the reality proved to be different. The touchstone for achieving common goals was the idea of constructing a new NPP at the site of the closed Ignalina NPP. The author concludes that the joint construction of a new NPP is quite questionable. When it comes to politics, each of the three Baltic States is ready to build its own NPP. Thus, the development of nuclear power in the Baltic Sea region requires joint coordinated actions independent of any bloc-inspired interests of the states involved. Moreover, this success may prove sustainable if the actions are based on innovative decisions and modern technologies.
2. Bobylev, B. I. Atomnaja jenergetika Evropy [Nuclear Energy in Europe], Collegiate Fund of Russia Russika. Ru, available at: http://www. russika,ru/sa. php?s=2 (accessed 18 March 2013).
3. Social'no-jekonomicheskaja situacija zastavit Germaniju povernut'sja licom k atomnoj jenergetike: jekspert [The socio-economic situation will force Germany to face the nuclear power industry: expert], 2013, News Agency REGNUM, 18 March, available at: http:www. regnum. ru/news/1637077.html (accessed 19 March 2013).
4. Slancevyj gaz stavit pod ugrozu plany razvitija al'ternativnoj jenergetiki [Shale gas threatens the development of alternative energy plans], 2013, Atomic-Energy. ru, 6 March, available at: http://www. atomic-energy. ru/news/2013/03/ 06/40290 (accessed 13 March 2013).
5. Areva: «Postfokusimskij pristup ostrogo neprijatija jadernoj jenergii pochti minoval» [Areva: «Postfokusimsky attack of acute rejection of nuclear energy almost passed»], 2013, Atomic-Energy. ru, 13 March, available at: http://www.atomic-energy. ru/print/40410 (accessed 13 March 2013).
6. Vsled za Latviej, prem'er Litvy otpravljaetsja v Jestoniju rasskazat' o Visaginskoj AJeS [Followed by Latvia, Lithuanian Prime Minister sent to Estonia to talk about the Visaginas nuclear power plant], 2013, News Agency REGNUM, 23 January, available at: http://www. regnum. ru/news/1616540.html (accessed 23 January 2013).
7. Fuchs, E. 2013, Gribauskajte: esli partii dogovorjatsja ob AJeS, nado budet eshhjo raz sprosit' mnenie ljudej [Grybauskaite: if the parties agree on the plant, you will have more time to ask people's opinions], DELFI, 22 January, available at:http://ru. delfi. lt/archive/article. php?id=60492901 (accessed 22 January 2013).
8. Andrjukajtis V.: Jenergeticheskie proekty Rossii — vygodny Litve [Andriukaitis V.: Energy Projects Russia — Lithuania beneficial], 2010, Baltaes — Baltijskaja AES, 17 March, available at: http://baltaes. ya. ru/replies. xml?item_no=32 (accessed 28 January 2013).
9. Litovskij jenergetik: Kak by ni bylo neprijatno politikam, nam vygodno sotrudnichat' s BAJeS (interv'ju predsedatelja koncerna Icor Janukonisa agentstvu 15min. lt) [Lithuanian Energy: No matter how unpleasant politicians, we are profitable to cooperate with BNPP (interview of concern Icor Yanukonisa agency 15min.lt)], 2013, Kaliningradskij internet-portal Jeksklav. RU, 14 March, available at: http://exclav. ru/sobyitiya/oblast/litovskiy-energetik-kak-byi-ni-byilo-nepriyatnopolitikam-nam-vyigodno-sotrudnichat-s. html (accessed 14 March 2013).
10. Eks-prem'er: «Rosatom» predlozhil Litve 25 % Baltijskoj AJeS vzamen na GJeS v Kaunase [The former prime minister, «Rosatom» has offered 25 % of the Lithuanian Baltic NPP in return for hydropower in Kaunas], 2013, News Agency REGNUM, 28 March, available at http://www. regnum. ru/news/1641779.html (accessed 28 March 2013).
11. Zajavlenie Evrosojuza oznachaet priznanie, chto jadernaja jenergetika budet razvivat'sja v celom v mire: jekspert [EU statement means the recognition that nuclear power will be developed in the whole world: Expert], 2013, News Agency REGNUM, 19 March, available at: http://www. regnum. ru/news/1637579.html (accessed 19 March 2013).