Research and technology agreements in the Norwegian concession system of the 1970s—1990s
This article is devoted to research and technology agreements in Norway, and their positive impact on the development of relations with foreign oil and gas companies during the period of formation of the Norwegian oil and gas industry. Based on archival documents, the article considers Norway’s experience of conclusion of research and technology agreements for transferring the latest technologies of exploration and oil and gas production to national oil and gas companies in the process of developing the country’s oil and gas industry. The author concludes that Norway made significant scientific and technological progress through promoting active cooperation with foreign companies. Norway’s successful experience could be applied by Russian state authorities in order to develop relations with foreign oil companies. These companies could take part in offshore exploration in the Russian sector of the Barents Sea through concluding similar agreements between Russian state institutions, and foreign oil and gas companies, which would give an impetus to the development of the technological component of Russia’s oil and gas sector. Research and technology agreements have been used by Norwegians with the aim of diversification of the economy and prevention of excessive dependence on the energy sector, which is one of the major challenges faced by Russia.
1. Vorobyov, А. А. 2011, Rol koncessionnoy sistemy Norwegii v osvoenii shelfa [The Role of the Norwegian Concession System in the Development of Shelf], Vestnik MGIMO [Bulletin of MGIMO], no. 6 (21), p. 177—182.
2. Blichner, L. S. 1984, Institusjonelle betingelser for styring — en studie av teknologiavtalene, Bergen.
3. White Paper, 1979, no. 63 (1978—1979), Oslo, Ministry of petroleum and energy.
4. Bjerkholt, O., Offerdal, E., Stroom, S. 1985, Olje og gas i norske ookonomi, Oslo, Universitetsforlaget.
5. White Paper, 1983, no. 54 (1982—1983), Oslo, Universitetsforlaget, available at: http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/b61ba52dceb20bb4ee1a223d075647c4.nbdigital? lang =en# 0 (accessed 15 April 2011).
6. White Paper, 1985, no. 9 (1984—985), Oslo, Ministry of petroleum and energy.
7. Askheim, L. O., Gisvold, M., Tapper, J. K. 1983, Kontrakter i petroleumsvirksomheten, Oslo, Sjørettsfondet, available at: http://www. nb. no/nbsok/nb/ bf60e9f65a42 5490b0301cb29b048f74?index=0#23 (accessed 15 April 2011).
8. Good Will avtaler. Gjennomgaelse av synspunkter fra endel selskaper, notat forhandlings og planleggingskontoret, 1980, 13 Oktober, Oslo, Ministry of petroleum and energy.
9. Offshorerelaterte teknologiavtaler for fortskning of utvikling I forbindelse med 4 og 5 konsesjonrunde, 1980, 13 March, Oslo, Ministry of petroleum and energy.
10. Meddelelse av utvinningtillatelser for petroleum paa NKS-9 konsesjonrunde, 1983, 1 March, Oslo, Ministry of petroleum and energy.
11. Raport om tekniske og industriele samarbede med utenlandse selskaper [Report on the technical and industrial cooperation with foreign companies'], 1985, 14 August, Oslo, OED.
12. Skaug, E. 1984, Oljeselskapenes samarbeid med norske forskningsmiljøer og norsk industry, Oslo, NTNF.
13. Retningslinjer for NTNF i forbimdelse med arbeid knyttet til teknologiavtaleneunder 4 og 5 konsesjonrunde, 1980, 6 March, Oslo, Ministry of petroleum and energy.
14. Bulletin no. 3, 1993, Oslo, Forskingsrådet, available at: http://www.forskningsradet.no/bibliotek/publikasjoner/instituttpol_rapport_3/kap01.html (accessed 15 April 2011).
15. Novie komponenti i sistemi v offshornom sectore [New components and systems in the offshore sector], 1989, Oslo, Research Council of Norway.
16. Forsknings og teknologisamarbeid med myndighetene, leter to the oil companies, 1994, 21 February, Oslo, Ministry of indystry and energy.
17. Regulations 1985: Regulations to Act relating to petroleum activities, 1985, § 39, Oslo, Ministry of petroleum and energy, available at: http://www.lovdata.no/all/tl-19961129-072-002.html#2-1 (accessed 15 April 2011).
18. Pedersen, H. 1996, ELF og Conoco — straffet, Aftenposten, 24 January.