Network Transformations in Economy
... perspective // Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers. 2004. № 29. P. 468—484.
12. Contractor F., Lorange P. Cooperative Strategies in International Business. Lexington, Mass. : Lexington Books, 1988.
13. Cooke P. Enterprise Support Policies in Dynamic European Regions: Policy Implications for Ireland, paper presented at NESC seminar, Sustaining Competitive Advantage, NESC Research Series. March 1998, Dublin.
14. De Bresson C., Amesse F. Networks of innovators: a review and introduction to the issue // Research ...
Russian Population Ethnic Structure: Trends and Transformations
... 2010, the article analyzes the evolution of the ethnic structure of the population of the post-Soviet Russia from the territorial perspective. The stability of the ethnic structure of the “Russian mega nucleus” and indigenization of the national regions are considered in view of the differences in migration trends during the two inter-census periods and the socioeconomic situation in the regions. The urbanization rate of major ethnic groups is an indirect indicator of the prospects of traditional ...
Towards a Stable and Dynamic Economy in the Kaliningrad Region
... dilemma: a 'development corridor' or a 'double periphery'? The geopolitical factor of the development of the Russian exclave on the Baltic Sea, Balt. Reg., no. 2, p. 4—12. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2010-2-1.
24. Shastitko A. 2009, Competitiveness of the region: content, factors, policies, Balt. Reg., no. 1, p. 10—25. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2009-1-2.
25. Boschma, R. 2004, Competitiveness of Regions from an Evolutionary Perspective, Regional Studies, no. 38 (9), p. 1001—1014.
26. Capello, R. 2009, Territorial capital and ...
Border Position as a Factor of Strategic and Territorial Planning in Russian Regions in the Baltic
In the conditions of globalization, Russian border regions can form transborder regions through cooperation with the neighbouring territories of other states. The optimisation of spatial organisation of economy, social sphere, and nature management using the tools of spatial planning is fully justified ...
Innovations in the Baltic Sea Region and Network Cooperation between Russia and the EU
Transnational (involving countries) and cross-border (involving adjacent regions of different countries) cooperation and integration are rapidly developing in the Baltic Sea region. Russia lags behind the Nordic countries and Germany as far as innovative development is concerned; yet our national pace here is comparable to ...
Cross-border Specialization of Interregional Interaction: Applying New Assessment Methods
Cross-border cooperation as a type of interregional interaction is becoming a significant factor in the development of border regions. It can be viewed as a result of intensification of cross-border contacts and greater economic openness of cross-border regions. Thus, the roots of current development are quite easy to pinpoint. However, assessment of the impact of cross-border ...
The potential of structural changes in the economy of the Kaliningrad region
The issue of structural policy in the Kaliningrad region remains pressing. Russia’s commitment to modernisation based on innovative development, overcoming the dependence on raw materials, and the current crisis phenomena require a transformation of the structure of region’s economy.
An effective ...
EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region: Challenges and Perspectives of International Cooperation
This article describes the main characteristics of international cooperation in the Baltic Sea Region (BSR) within the framework of the EU macroregional strategy. The analysis of the key directions, structure, and the Strategy implementation mechanisms demonstrates its experimental and innovative nature. At the same time, the authors identify problems ...
The influence of the sea on the economic development and settlement structure in the Baltic Sea region
... influence of the sea on the economy and settlement structure date back to the mid-19th century. They became common in the 20th century. Researchers have come to a general understanding that a coastal position has a beneficial effect on the development of regions. Such areas have a denser population and develop more rapidly than inland regions. At the same time, the effect of environmental, socioeconomic, demographic, and political factors is often stronger than the influence of the sea. Thus, an inland ...
Minimising Investment Risks Through Optimising Public-Private Partnership: The Case of the Kaliningrad Region
This study undertakes a contextual analysis of economic and legal risks associated with investment in the Kaliningrad region. The authors emphasise the importance of public-private partnership (PPP) in minimising such risks in order to enhance the region’s attractiveness and to solve development problems. PPP has never been studied as a means to minimise regional investment ...
Institutional approach to assessing the transition to a circular economy: the case of the Kaliningrad region
... ownership blurring as a factor that may hinder the transition to a circular economy, which has been proposed as one of the outcomes of the reform. This study aims to address possible obstacles to transitioning to a circular economy in the Kaliningrad region. Methodologically, the study uses instruments of new institutional economics: by comparing discrete institutional alternatives for municipal solid waste (MSW) management, the authors propose incentive schemes that will likely stimulate the transition ...
Key Directions of Sectoral and Spatial Changes in the Russian Industry
... mirovogo hozjajstva [An introduction to the geography of the world economy]. In: Mezhdunarodnoe razdelenie truda [The international division of labor], Moscow, p. 194—196.
13. Mikhailov, A. 2013, Development of International Clusters in the Baltic Sea Region, Balt. Reg., no. 1, p. 37—46. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2013-1-4.
14. Moshkov, А. V. 2005, Promyshlennye uzly Dal'nego Vostoka [Industrial units of the Far East], Владивосток, 192 p.
15. Pavlov, E. 2013, Tehnoparki — vazhnyj jelement ...
A ‘Secret alliance’ or ‘Freedom from any alliances’? NATO accession debate in Sweden and Finland, 1991—2016
... which are often used in academic descriptions of the evolution of the position of both countries towards NATO. The authors hold that Finland and Sweden may become NATO members only if there is a direct threat to their security. Russian politics in the region may provoke them to take such a step. A referendum on joining the bloc seems to be highly unlikely; even though after the Crimean events, the number of NATO supporters in the two countries increased, they remained a minority. The authors conclude ...
The boundaries of the territorial community
The study clarifies the concept of spatial networking inherent of various forms of interactions within the territorial socio-economic system of a region. The author offers a classification of spatial networks, identifies and describes types of spatial boundaries of different types of territorial communities: geographic, organizational, cognitive, cultural, institutional, social and technological....
Evolution of the Regional Religious Policy in the Saratov region (1989—2017)
The article shows the development of political practices of the regional government bodies in the field of protecting the rights of citizens to the freedom of conscience and the freedom of religion. The author analyses the principles of regulating the activity of religious organizations, and monitoring their interaction ...
Transborder regionalisation in the conditions of globalisation
Globalisation creates favourable conditions for the formation of transborder regions through enhancing communication. This process involves industrial, transport, trade and other enterprises as well as education, culture and research institutions, which develop multiple links. The formation of cross-border regions is facilitated ...
The history of the integration between Russia’s Kaliningrad region and Poland’s northeastern voivodeships: A programme approach
..., 2016, Center for European Projects, Warsaw, p. 165.
16. Sergunin, A. A. 2013, Russia and the European Union in the Baltic region: a treacherous path to partnership, Balt. Reg., Vol. 5, no. 4, p. 38—47. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2013-4-4.
17. The candidature ... ... November 18, available at:
(accessed 19.01.2017). (In Russ.)
18. Coherence with the policies and objectives of the European Communities, Lithuania-Poland-Russia ENPI Cross-border Cooperation Programme 2007—2013,...
Key Strategies of Development of Research Tools and Methods for Marine Spatial Planning
... of improving the competitiveness of the complex marine economic development in world economic relations], Dissertation for the degree of candidate of economic sciences, Moscow, Sovet po izucheniju proizvoditel'nyh sil (SOPS).
2. Baturova, G. V. 2011, Regional'nye morehozjajstvennye klastery kak osnova social'no-jekonomicheskogo razvitija primorskih territorij [Regional marine economic clusters as a basis of socio-economic development of coastal areas]. In: Zhyharevych, B. S. (ed.). Strategicheskoe ...
The Erasmus Mundus programme as a vehicle for development
... country universities. Special attention is paid to the implementation of Erasmus Mundus projects aimed at environmental protection, biodiversity conservation, reduction in the use of hazardous substances, and the improvement of the attractiveness of the region.
1. The OECD and the Millennium Development Goals, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, available at: http://www.oecd. org/document/37/0,3746,en_2649_33721_34087845_1_1_1_1,00.html (accessed 17 December 2010).
2. EU Strategy ...
The formation of the political elite in Lithuania at the turn of the 1980s—1990s: the role of “moral politicians”
... its independence, in the framework of which the key role was played by «moral politicians», most of whom subsequently retired from politics. Focusing on the situation in Lithuania, this research sets out to show the continuous dependence of today's policies of the Baltic States on the key choices made by the authorities at the turn of 1980s—1990s. Today, Russian political science lacks concrete regional studies into the issues of changes of elites in the context of research on the processes of postcommunist transformations. This work addresses the scientific interpretation of the content of mechanisms of «new» political elite development in ...
The position of international community on the restoration of independence of the Baltic States
... serve as the methodological framework for the research. The regional approach was applied in order to integrate the features of regional development into the overall picture of world politics. The scientific and practical significance of the article lies ... ... countries and the Baltic States. The materials and conclusions of this article can be used for further research on the foreign policies of the USA, Germany, the USSR, and the Baltic republics. In the process of the Baltics gaining their independence, western ...
Processes of convergence and divergence in the regions of the European Union: features and qualimetry
... aims to increase the economic efficiency of the EU, became a subject of extensive discussions among researchers suggesting that its viability at the political and socio-economic levels depends on a fair distribution of gains among the countries and regions of the Community. These discussions resulted in a considerable increase in funding allocated for the development of the EU regions from the EU Structural Funds and the Cohesion Fund aiming to reduce regional disparities. The present analysis and ...
Russophone immigration to Finland: new forms, trends, and consequences
... student migration, top specialist relocation, and the expansion of Russian business. Finland is in dire need of healthcare specialists, researchers, business development and IT specialists, and other professionals. For example, Russia-bordering Finnish regions lack upper and middle-level healthcare specialists. The focus of the study is on the professional and socio-demographic structure of labour migration to Finland and the country’s migration policy on the adaptation and integration of Russian-speaking ...
The implementation of the federal economic policy in the Kaliningrad region
Coherent federal economic policy is one of the most important tools for an effective social and economic development of such a unique region as Kaliningrad. The article describes the main stages of its formation over several decades and offers an assessment of the activities of the federal government. The author highlights the main challenges associated with the new political and economic ...
NATO Policies in the Baltics: Objectives and Priorities
The authors employ geopolitical analysis to identify the core characteristics of NATO’s current policy towards the Baltic Sea region. After the demise of the Soviet Union, the region was considered as one of the safest in terms of military security. However, in the aftermath of the Ukraine crisis, the region has witnessed a growing tension in relations between NATO and the Russian ...
Cultural types and the perception of current environmental risks by local communities of the Baltic Sea region
This work presents findings from research into the relationship between the structural organisation and cultural attitudes of local communities in the Baltic Sea region and the way they perceive environmental risks. The response of the Kaliningrad community to the development of a local potassium and magnesium salt mine is used as an illustration. The article deals with how local communities perceive the image ...
A ‘divided history’: the politics of memory on the territory of the former East Prussia in the light of current discussions
... analysis, the author examines similarities of and differences between approaches to the politics of history and the politics of memory. The author evaluates the effects of using the notions of ‘memory sites’ and ‘memory conflicts’ in the Baltic Region states, and reviews recent works of historians and political scientists on the changes in the culture of remembrance in Russia in general and the Kaliningrad region in particular during the Soviet and post-Soviet periods. Modern historiography ...
The role of transborder cooperation in the increase of innovative potential of the Baltic region
The article aims at analyzing the role of cross-border cooperation in the development of innovation potential of the Baltic Sea Region. The author analyzes the projects in the framework of the Neighborhood Programs implemented in 2000—2006 and related to the development of innovation potential in the Baltic Sea Region, particularly in the South-East Baltic. The author makes ...
State commissioning NGOs to perform social services as a mechanism of the implementation of regional socioeconomic policy
This article described the advantages state commissioning social services as a mechanism to implement regional social and economic policy and emphasizes the need to apply criterion-based approach to choosing tender winners.
1. О размещении заказов на поставку товаров, выполнение работ, оказание ...
Geography of European Migration
... 216 p.
10. Inozemcev, V. L. 2003, Immigraciya: novaya problema novogo tysyacheletiya [Immigration: the new challenge of the new millennium], Sociologicheskie issledovaniya, no. 4, p. 64—72.
11. Klokov, K. B., Stupin Yu. A., Hrushchev, S. A. 2008, Regional'nye osobennosti dinamiki chislennosti i rasseleniya korennyh malochislennyh narodov Severa Rossii [Regional features of population dynamics and dispersal of indigenous peoples of the Russian North], Izvestiya Russkogo geograficheskogo obshchestva ...
Environmental aspect of the current Arctic Strategy of Sweden
(дата обращения: 21.12.2016).
12. Heininen L. Arctic Strategies and Policies: Inventory and Comparative Study.Akureyri, 2012.
13. Joint Communication to the European Parliament and the Council. ... ....php/ru/our-work/newsand-events-ru/54-sweden-on-work-i-the-arctic
(дата обращения: 10.05.2017).
17. Sweden’s strategy for the Arctic region. 2012. Stockholm, 2011.
18. Tauriainen T. Handing over the gavel: Reflections on Sweden’s Chairmanship of the Arctic ...
Interorganisational networking as the principal form of technological, innovative and research cooperation between Russia and the European Union in the Baltic region
... development and producing an innovative model of the Russian economy. One of the key objectives of the country’s integration into international research, technological, and innovative space is the development of Russia-EU cooperation in the Baltic region. It is established that, with the development of integration connections and regionalization processes, interorganizational networking takes on special importance in the organization and development of the innovative space. The authors analyze ...
Cross-Border Cooperation in the Kaliningrad region: Problems and Prospects
Since the accession of Poland and Lithuania to the EU, the nature, forms and content of their border cooperation with the Kaliningrad region have fundamentally changed. There is a tendency towards strengthening the neighborhood policy. The already gained extensive and varied experience of the participation of the Kaliningrad region in the IN-TERREG Programme contributed to the socio-economic ...
Agriculture produce procurement in the post-war years (based on the materials of the Kaliningrad rural district of the Kaliningrad region)
... Stalin era is recognised as a forced seizure of grain and other products in rural areas. Based on the materials from the Kaliningrad rural district (the only one, whose procurement structure fund has been preserved by the State archive of the Kaliningrad region), the author traces the forced procurement policies and draws conclusions about the efficiency of collectors.
1. Безнин М. А., Димони Т. М. Аграрный строй России 1930—1980-х гг. М., 2014.
2. Государственный архив Калининградской ...
A Situational Approach to Strategic Management and Monitoring of Regional and Urban Development
Through a situational approach to strategic management of regional and urban development it is possible to identify the interaction between the managerial process and mechanism; bring together the spatial and activity-related concepts of territorial development; and explain the phenomenon in question from both ...
Local features of regional difference in the modern Ukraine
This paper attempts to analyse the existing regional disparities with the help of the proposed population and territory performance indices. A regional analysis is carried out on the basis of index calculations; certain territorial groups of regions are identified. The author examines the state ...
The Legal Regulation of the EU Immigrant Integration Policy
... (дата обращения: 10.05.2018).
8. Action Plan on the integration of third country nationals Brussels Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions. URL:
(дата обращения: 10.05.2018).
9. Bundesgesetz zur Integration rechtmäßig in Österreich aufhältiger Personen ohne österreichische Staatsbürgerschaft (Integrationsgesetz — IntG). URL:
Legal aspects of the EU policy on irregular immigration
... http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2015/04/23-special-eucostatement/(accessed 11.06.2015).
30. Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions. European Agenda on Migration. Brussels, 2015, 13 May, COM, no. 240 final, available at: http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/european-agenda-migration/background-information/docs/communication_on_the_european_agenda_on_migration_en.pdf (accessed 10.06.2015).
31. Livija protiv idei ES o specoperacii protiv sudov s migrantami [Libya against the idea of the EU's special ...
The Coastal Regions of Europe: Economic Development at the Turn of the 20th Century
This article explores the current condition and spatial dynamics of the key socioeconomic processes in the coastal zone of the European subcontinent at the turn of the 20th century. Europe is a region where the “coastal component” of socioeconomic development plays a major role and is therefore one of the most interesting objects for research in this field. Russian geographical proximity to the European countries, a significant number of ...
The transition process and institutions: on the issue of the standard of living in the countries of Central and Eastern Europe — members of the European Union
... costs in Central and Eastern Europe, Energy Research & Social Science, no. 70. doi:
57. Blacksell, M., Born, K.M. 2002, Private Property Restitution: The Geographical Consequences of Official Government Policies in Central and Eastern Europe, The Geographical Journal, vol. 168, no. 2, p. 178—190.
58. Zubarevich, N. V. 2003, The social development of regions of Russia: problems and tendencies of the transition period, Moscow, URSS (In Russ.).
59. Puzanov, A. S., Kosareva, N. B., Polidi, T. D., Tumanov, A. A. 2012, Analysis of changes in housing availability and opportunities for housing improvement ...
Eastern Europe. On the centenary of the political project
This article describes the characteristics of Eastern Europe as a political pro-ject. The author considers the genesis of Eastern Europe as a political region and identifies several periods in its history. The author analyses key features of sover-eignization- desovereignization of the region and examines geopolitical projects of Intermarium. It is shown that Eastern Europe as such is an objective reality,...
The Youth in Kaliningrad, Gdansk and Klaipeda: Geopolitical Vision of the World, Identity and Images of the Other
... borders: a cultural perspective. In: Veggeland, N. (ed.) Innovative regulatory approaches: coping with Scandinavian and European policies, New York, Nova Science Publishers.
26. O’Loughlin, J., Kolossov, V., Toal, G. 2004, A Risky Westward Turn? Putin’s ... ... D. (ed.), 2011, The Ashgate Research Companion to Border Studies Farnham, UK, Ashgate.
Kolosov V., Vendina O.
Kaliningrad region, geopolitical vision of the world
Geography and economy of the Kaliningrad region: limitations and prospects of development
... policy, as well as persistent stereotypes that shape public opinion. In this light, integration between the Kaliningrad region and mainland Russia is seen not only as an economic, but also as a sociocultural objective. An analysis of the stages of the region’s exclavisation, and policies of social support stemming from the uniqueness of the economic and geographical position of the region substantiate this conclusion.
1. Database of Indicators, 2013, Statistics Lithuania, available at: http://db1.stat.gov.lt/statbank/SelectTable/omrade0....
Introducing Sectoral Models into Regional Management: An Assessment of Regulatory Impacts on the Economy
Regardless of the geography of regions, management at the regional level, both in Russia and the Baltic Sea countries, faces many challenges. Hence, it is necessary to search for new effective economic management tools, since traditional approaches and modeling practices at the regional ...
The ethnic aspects of demographic processes in the Baltic region states
... for Regional Policy.
2. Ronkina, A. (ed.) Baltic 21. Triennial Report 2006—2008. 2009. Stockholm.
3. Kaszmarczyk, P., Okólski, M. 2008. Economic Impacts of Migration on Poland and Baltic States // Fafo-paper. Oslo.
4. Indans, I. 2009. Migration Policies in the Baltic Sea Region 2008—2009. Rīga.
5. Mansur, A., Quillin B. (ed.). 2007. Migration and Remittances, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union / Washington.
6. Thornborg, M. 2002. Population around the Baltic Sea. In: W. Maciewjewsk (ed.). The Baltic Sea Region....
Local border traffic as an efficient tool for developing cross-border cooperation
... peredvizhenija na razvitie transgranichnogo turizma mezhdu Respublikoj Pol'sha i Kaliningradskoj oblast'ju Rossijskoj Federacii [Influence of local border traffic on the development of cross-border tourism between the Republic of Poland and the Kaliningrad region of the Russian Federation], Nauka i turizm: strategija vzaimodejstvija [Science and tourism: cooperation strategy], p. 65—73.
3. Vardomsky, L. B. 2000, Prigranichnyj pojas Rossii: problemy i tendencii razvitija [Border zone of Russia: problems ...
Exclavity as a challenge and a resource for foreign positioning of the Kaliningrad region
... factor analysis, through the method of principal components, the author puts forward several theses regarding the possibilities and limitations of exclavity in overcoming foreign positioning of the region. The economic dependence of the Kaliningrad region on the federal government policies inside and outside the country makes the region “fragile” in terms of promoting its sociocultural image. The article shows the tough dependence on the foreign economic decisions of the federal authorities using the development trends of the ...
The features of EU energy strategy in the Baltic region
This article analyses the issues of EU energy policy in the 1990s-the beginning of the 2000s in order to identify the features of energy supply and energy safety of the Baltic region countries. The research and practical significance of the work lies in the stepwise description of actions taken by EU leaders and EU member states in order to formulate a common European energy policy. The 2004 EU enlargement posed the problem ...
The military and political situation in the Baltic region in the late 20th/early 21st centuries: the prospects of ‘uneasy peace’
In this article, we consider the development of international relations in the Baltic region in the late 20th/early 21st centuries. This study aims to analyse the security prospects of the Baltic region in view of the changes in the overall geopolitical situation in Europe and in the relations between Russia and its closest neighbours ...
Typological differences between the coastal regions of Russia's Western borderlands
The “gravitational force” of the sea is an important factor in regional development, and though it has not been sufficiently studied, it has received increasing attention in the last two decades. The article focuses on the economic features of 11 federal subjects of the Russian Federation located along its maritime ...