The concept of the European Union’s normative power
Traditionally, studies into a state’s foreign policy focus on the international situation and national interests of the parties. However, such approach does not completely conform to the objectives of studies into the foreign policy ... ... example of unique integration of states. One of the modern approaches aimed to describe the nature of the EU as an actor in world politics is the concept of the EU’s ‘normative power’ arguing that the ‘power’ of the EU lies in the ability to change ...
Norway’s International Development Assistance Policy in the Current International Environment: Mechanisms of Justification
... of Norway’s development policy, which are crucial to understand contemporary international aid practices. The country’s development policy implemented bilaterally and multilaterally is an effective mechanism of promoting Norway’s economic and political interests. It is also an important subject for research. The authors analyses the evolution of the ODA objectives, its institutions and their international expertise. Special attention is devoted to the current shift of the ODA policy to the issues of ...
The Youth in Kaliningrad, Gdansk and Klaipeda: Geopolitical Vision of the World, Identity and Images of the Other
... by the uncertainty of the EU-Russia relations. Young residents of Gdansk and Klaipeda reproduce dated stereotypes, and their interest in the Kaliningrad region is limited. However, as the experience of the other countries suggests, local border traffic ... ... subekt "Kaliningrad" [Squadron subject "Kaliningrad"], Nezavisimaya Gazeta, available at: http://www.ng.ru/politics/2001-02-24/3_subject.html (accessed 07.07.2014).
3. Voronov, К. 2001, Bessmyslennye mechtanija [Senseless dreams], ...
The development of cooperation between the European Union and Russia on migration issues: from „the „common spaces” to the actual implementation
... EU-Russia Summit, SPEECH/ 10/ 734, Brussels, 7 December 2010.
4. Coleman, N. 2009, European Readmission Policy: Third Country Interests and Refugee Rights, Leiden, Martinus Nihoff Publishers.
5. Council of the European Union. 1997, Decision of 30 October ... ... 569—584.
16. Lavenex, S., Schimmelfennig, F. 2009, EU Rules beyond EU borders? Theorizing External Governance in European Politics, Journal of European Public Policy, no. 16 (6), September 2009, p. 791—812.
17. Potemkina, O. 2005, A ’Friendly ...
The population of the Kaliningrad region and the digital economy: a sociological analysis
..., no. 1. p. 9—17. doi:
15. Valtysson, B. 2020, Digital Cultural Politics. From Policy to Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, 226 p.
16. Manzuch, Z. D. 2017, Ethical Issues in Digitization of Cultural ... ... Transformation of education as a metatrend of the digital economy, Natsional’nye interesy: prioritety i bezopasnost’ [National interests: priorities and security], no. 10, p. 1960—1979 (in Russ.).
18. Sheremetyeva, E. N., Barinova, E. P., Zolotova, L....
Institutional approach to assessing the transition to a circular economy: the case of the Kaliningrad region
... T. S., Holopova, E. N., Grigorev, A. G. 2018, A functional description of the model for the protection of the environmental interests of the Russian Federation in the Baltic Sea region, Balt. Reg., vol. 10, no. 4, p. 39—59. doi: 10.5922/2079-8555-2018-4-3.... ... economic theory], M, TEIS. (in Rus.).
30. Esteban, J., Ray, D. 2001, Collective action and the group size paradox, American political science review, p. 663—672.
31. Oliver, P. E., Marwell, G. 1988, The paradox of group size in collective action: A ...
Transformation of the institutional matrix of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania within the Russian Empire
... that when a state is formed out of elements with essentially different institutional matrices, there becomes possible a transplantational dysfunction of institutions, which in turn can initiate a crisis, capable, in case of a malfunctioning political system and disunited elites, of triggering a social collapse and (if there are interested «poles of power») the total disintegration of the society. The subsequent entry of its part into another social system constitutes one of the options of passing through a bifurcation point. Three stages of this process are distinguished: ...
The Concepts of “Appearance” and “Phenomenon” in Transcendental Philosophy (Kant, Husserl, Fink)
... With Husserl, appearance is linked with the area of the natural attitude while the phenomenon is absolute. Fink’s position is interesting in that it differs from the views of the main representatives of transcendental philosophy, Kant and Husserl. According ... ... Phenomenon, Transcendental, Immanent and Transcendent in the Theoretical Philosophy of Immanuel Kant. Historical, Philosophical, Political and Legal Sciences, Culturology and Art History. Issues of Theory and Practice, 3(65): in 2 Parts, Part 2, pp. 34-36....
Attitude to economic development issues as a feature of the sociological profile of the population in the Smolensk region border areas
... the fundamental concepts of social geography which reveal both objective and subjective character. The primary territorial interest of the region is the efficient economic development, while losses and risks are minimal. The population opinion poll ... ... areas in economic and social policy. The article also points out to the difference in opinions of the population and the political elite of the region regarding the main vectors of economic development. The findings of the opinion polls can construct ...
The history of Lithuania in the national historiography of the second half of the 19th — early 20th century
... pre-revolutionary national academic schools which studied of the history of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. In the 18th — the first half of the 19th century the history of Lithuania was perceived by Russian scholars as “alien” and did not receive much interest. The situation changed after the “January Insurrection” (1863—1864): the attention of politicians to Lithuanian history predetermined the establishment of pre-revolutionary lithuanistic research centers at the universities of Kiev, Moscow ...
Moral und Dogma: Alois Riehls Neukantianismus im Spannungsfeld zwischen Religion und Politik
... authorities, especially in the Austro-Hungarian monarchy. The “Neurath-Haller Thesis” argues that in Austria the appointment of professorships was controlled and monitored by the state, with the goal of installing a philosophy which was beneficial to the interests of the state, and a strong anti-Kantianism in Austrian Philosophy as a consequence. We can agree with this thesis insofar as Riehl in the period of the “Catholic Renaissance” in Austria was not allowed to succeed Ernst Mach. The analysis ...
Logic Manuals for Women in the Late Enlightenment Era
.... Today these works and their authors are generally seen as secondary and marginal. Nevertheless, they may be of substantial interest in the study of the history of the formation of logic, a fundamental and still relevant discipline in university education.... ... Altonaer Stadtkalender, 15, pp. 31-35.
Kant, I., 1991. An Answer to the Question: ‘What is Enlightenment?’ In: I. Kant, 1991. Political Writings. Edited by H. S. Reiss, translated by H. B. Nisbet. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pp. 54-60.
Embedding imagology in Translation Studies
... have for instance been included in research that was previously almost exclusively dealing with literary discourse. Moreover interest in imagological research, sometimes related to the distribution of a promoted national or cultural self-image, has now ... ... case study of Ye Junjian's 1958 translation of H. C. Andersen’s tales. In: L. D'hulst, C. O'Sullivan and M. Schreiber, eds. Politics, Policy and Power in Translation History. Berlin: Frank & Timme. pp. 95—112.
Marinetti, C., 2011. Cultural approaches....
Unvergängliche Bedeutung des philosophisch-pädagogischen Schaffens Kants
The article is meant for teachers and everyone interested in the problems of upbringing and self-upbringing. The major incentive for all works of the great scientists was the desire to reveal the extent of possibility and necessity of dignity for a person pursuing their vocation. Kant showed the world ...
Moral inscrutability and self-constitution in Kant (translated from the English by V. Belonogova and D. Khizanishvili, edited by V. Chaly)
... Critique of Practical Reason. In: Proceedings of the 10th International Kant Congress. Berlin: W. de Gruyter.27. Wimmer, R., 1990. Kants kritische Religionsphilosophie. Berlin ; New York: W. De Gruyter.28. Yovel, Y., 1998. Kant's Practical Reason as Will: Interest, Recognition, Judgment, and Choice. The Review of Metaphysics, 52(2), pp. 267—94.
Reflections on the history of the Kaliningrad region
... interpret the term ‘Kaliningrad regional history’ as the history of the region per se and others as the whole scope of local history. The ‘History of West Russia: The Kaliningrad Region’, a secondary school discipline taught since 2006, presents an interesting case. The subject of the Kaliningrad regional history has no single definition since it is a matter of politics rather than historiography. The inability to produce such a definition stems from the uniqueness of the region’s geographical position and history. The region’s history was used extensively in the Soviet time for political and ideological ...
Crimea in the legacy of B. D. Grekov, fellow of the Academy of Sciences
... (1882—1953), an outstanding Russian historian and a fellow of the Soviet Academy of Sciences. Crimea was his long-standing research interest and a place of work and leisure. Some of his years spent in Crimea were very productive, and others were hard and lean.... ....) [The historian and power: historical science in the USSR and the concept of the history of feudal Russia in the context of politics and ideology (1930—1950s)]. Bryansk.
9. Pashuto, V. T., ed., 1982. Issledovaniya po istorii i istoriografii feodalizma....
Identifying Key Stakeholder Groups for Implementing a Place Branding Policy in Saint Petersburg
Regional brands have become a valuable intangible asset and a crucial competitive resource for forging partnerships. An effective place branding policy is impossible without a precise understanding of the interests of stakeholder groups. It is essential to realize that each region is unique in its own way. Territories differ in the structure of stakeholders, their influence on regional development, and the range of leverages over regional decision-makers....
N. M. Karamzin on upbringing and education in Russia
The article is dedicated to Nikolai Karamzin, a historian and a major public figure of imperial Russia. His various achievements make him a figure of lasting significance and continuing interest. The subject of the research is N. M. Karamzin’s views on the matters of public education and of ideological and family upbringing in the late 18th — early 19th-century Russia. Special attention is paid to N. M. Karamzin’s various political essays that addressed the country's educational problems. Another focus is on Karamzin’s The Memoir on Old and New Russia.
1. Вяземский П. А. Отметки при чтении «Исторического похвального ...
Security in the Baltic region as a Projection of Global Confrontation between Russia and the USA
... Ilves: Russia will not attack Baltic nations, Eesti Rahvusringhääling, 14 December 2015, available at:
23. Full ... ... defence after independence, Chaillot Papier, no. 19.
30. Heilbrunn, J. 2015, The Interview: Henry Kissinger, The National Interest, 19 August, available at:
Baltic Factor in Russia-France Relations
... Russia-France bilateral relations, the authors attach significance to analysing the dynamics and changes of the BSR role in European politics in the post- Napoleonic period. The authors compare the Russian and the July Monarchies (1830—1848) in the context ... ... article explores the role of P. de Barante, Ambassador of France to Russia and describes France and Russia’s trade and economic interests in the Baltic Sea region. The authors conclude that the specificity of Russia-France bilateral relations became more ...
Problems and Prospects of Cross-Border Cooperation in Tourism between Russia and Europe
... cross-border cooperation in tourism. These problems relate to both macroeconomic and regional/industrial factors. The article is of interest for researchers studying cross-border tourism, the regional and local administrations of border areas of Russia and European ... ... Focus on Geography, V. 56, no. 3.
2. Grama, V. 2011, Cooperation at the EU External Borders. Case of Ramania, Romanian Review on Political Geography. V. 13, no. 2, p. 256—263.
3. Kovacs, A. 2011, On Borders, Border Regions and Cross-border Retail-Trading,...
Local border traffic and the development of retail trade in the Kaliningrad region and Polish borderlands
... forum: jekonomika, sociologija, politologija, social'nojekonomicheskaja geografija [South-Russian Forum: economics, sociology, political science, social and economic geography], no 1 (2), p. 24-33.
11. Musevich: poteri kaliningradskih magazinov ot MPD ... ... peredvizhenii zhitelej Kaliningrada i Pol'shi/informacionno-analiticheskij portal [The expert «NewsBalt»: Why Retail Europe is interested in moving the privileged residents of Kaliningrad and Poland / information-analytical portal], 2012, News-Balt, available ...
Mary Crawford Fraser and Alice Mabel Bacon on the Japanese society of the late 19th/early 20th century
... various aspects of social and everyday life in Japan of Meiji period Japan that were discussed in the memoires of two prominent representatives of the Western world — Mary Crawford Fraser and Alice Mabel Bacon. They paid special attention not to the political transformations but rather to the everyday life of Japanese society. The author stresses the special interest of the travelers in the changes in European ladies that took place during the Meiji Revolution and their effect on women of Japanese aristocratic families. The article shows how the Japanese ladies adopted European traditions still maintaining ...
Development of economy in conditions of liberal reforms
... Новая постиндустриальная волна на Западе: антология. М., 1999.
и ювенальная политика в XXI веке. СПб., 2004.
Afanasenko I. D.
globalization, global politics, national wealth, raw materials,
statehood, national interests , Russian world.
Modern understanding of ‘geoeconomic position’ and the Saint Petersburg agglomeration
... geography and that of spatial science. An analysis of the geoeconomic position and the developing spatial relations can be of interest for researchers of geographic clusters, agglomerations, and such cross-border forms of cooperation, as growth triangles,... ... A. 2002, Imagining geographies of the ‘new Europe’: geo-economic power and the new European architecture of integration, Political Geography, Vol. 21.
3. Gubanova, T. E. (comp.), 1987, Jekonomicheskaja i social'naja geografija v SSSR: Istorija i ...
Local border traffic as an efficient tool for developing cross-border cooperation
... This article analyses local border traffic as a cross-border cooperation tool. The territory described in the study includes the external borders of the EU (and Norway) with the Russian Federation and the Republic of Belarus. The article will be of interest to specialists in international and, particularly, in cross-border cooperation. The authors analyse the mechanism of local border traffic and identify possible trends based on the general socioeconomic situation and foreign policy background ...
Motivations of Russian firms to invest abroad: how do sanctions affect Russia’s outward foreign direct investment?
... people, largest banks, and hydrocarbon producers. Therefore, their direct impact could be substantial. Alongside the direct impact, one should consider their indirect impact, such as the tumbling rouble exchange rate and Russian banks’ increasing interest rates, which decrease Russian firms’ capability to invest abroad. Moreover, a less amicable politic al atmosphere in the West may push some Russian corporations out of the Western markets and diminish the enthusiasm of new ones to enter them. Today, Russia’s counter-sanctions do not directly restrict the country’s OFDI, but Russian state-owned ...
The Role of Political Elites in the Development of Politics of Memory in the Baltic States
... totalitarianisms" ("Nazi and Soviet occupation"), and this point of view is widely used as a foreign policy tool. The politicization of the "anti-totalitarianism" issue is now a popular foreign policy tool that not only serves the interests of the Baltic and Eastern European politicians, but also finds ideological supporters in Western Europe and the United States.
1. Astrov, А. 2009, Jestonija: politicheskaja bor'ba za mesto v istorii [Estonia: the political struggle for a place in history], Pro et Contra, no. 3—4, p. 109—124.
2. «Atmoda» skvoz' «perestrojku»: sjuzhety latvijskoj (anti)sovetskoj istorii v period raspada SSSR ["Atmoda" through "restructuring": The story ...
Monotowns: A New Take on the Old Problem
.... The authors then posit that a study of monotown- related issues would be incomplete without accounting for stakeholders’ interests and relations. Monotown problems become apparent in the context of institutional agreements carried out with high transition ... ... stabil'nosti (na primere g. Vol'ska Saratovskoj obl.) [Modern resource industry town: Living out area or project of social and political stability (for example, Volsk Saratov region)], Vlast [Power], no. 4, p. 11—12.
5. Verdikt professionalov [Verdict ...
Kaliningrad Architectural Landscape as a Tourist Attraction
... Kaliningrad Korolevskaya Gora and Its Surroundings/The Heart of the City. Further, they come up with recommendations on using the most interesting proposals of the contestants from the perspective of tourist attractiveness and identify the possibilities for the ... ... politicheskie i juridicheskie nauki, kul'turologija i iskusstvovedenie. Voprosy teorii i praktiki [Historical, philosophical, political and legal sciences, cultural studies and art history. Theory and Practice], no. 4—1 (30), p. 130—133.
Supranational Policy of Migrant Integration in the EU
....eu/ewco/studies/tn0807038s/lu0807039q.htm (accessed: 21.01.2014).
20. Migrant Integration Policy Index, 2013, Mipex, available at: http://www.mipex.eu/about (accessed: 16.01.2014).
21. Portes, A., Zhou, M. 1994, Should Immigrants Assimilate? Public Interest, no. 116 (Summer), p. 1—17.
22. Portes, A., Borocz, J. 1989, Contemporary Immigration: Theoretical Perspectives on Its Determinants and Modes of Incorporation, International Migration Review, no. 23, p. 606—630.
23. Using EU Indicators ...
Federal Repatriation Programme in the Kaliningrad region: an Assessment of Risks and Opportunities
... Employment of the Kaliningrad region, available at: http://rabotakaliningrad.ru/home/rinoktruda/sitrt.aspx (accessed: 16.03.2014).
16. Foucault, M. 2003, Pravitel'stvennost' (ideja gosudarstvennogo interesa i ee genezis) [Government (the idea of the public interest and its genesis)], Logos, no. 4/5, p. 4—22.
17. Celevaja programma Kaliningradskoj oblasti «Okazanie sodejstvija dobrovol'nomu pereseleniju v Rossijskuju Federaciju sootechestvennikov, prozhivajushhih za rubezhom na 2013—2017 gody» [Target ...
Russia and the European Union in the Baltic region: a treacherous path to partnership
... efficiency of Russia’s policy in the region requires not only the development of bilateral relations with the region’s countries but also a dialogue with the European Union, the key player in the Baltic. The author identifies Russian economic, military, political, and humanitarian interests in the region, and describes the structure, content, and main areas of the implementation of the EU Baltic strategy in 2009—2013. The article examines the evolution of the Strategy, which initially ignored Russian national interests in the ...
Electric energy cooperation in the Baltic Sea region and the role of Russia in it
... media/ 66573/SELIVERSTOV. pdf (accessed 24 March 2013).
5. Vilemas, Ju. 2012, Improving generation capacities: Economics versus Politics, Conference The Future of Electricity Markets in Eastern Europe and Russia, Stockholm School of Economics, 14 February,... ... lt/ru/article/vesti/kaliningrad-hochet-sinhronizirovatsja-s-litvoj-504—317543 (accessed 2 April 2013).
43. Finny interesujutsja proektom «LAJeS-2 — Vyborgskaja» [Finns are interested in the project «LAES-2 — Vyborg»], 2012, Gruppa kompanij «Kompleksnye jenergeticheskie reshenija» (KJeR) [Group ...
North-West Russia in the context of European integration
... Baltic Sea states as interrelated components of a single region, different from other European regions in terms of economic interests, as well as its natural and sociocultural landscape.
1. Witte, S. Yu. 1960, Vospominanija [Memoirs], Мoscow, Vol.... ... shvedskoj identichnosti [The essence of Swedish identity and metamorphosis], Moscow, p. 33—34.
14. Tiilikainen, T. 2001, The Political Implications of the EU Enlargement to the Baltic States, European University Institute Working Paper RSC, no. 1, p. ...
Nuclear power in the Baltic Sea region: the history of emergence and the political and economic features of its development
... reality proved to be different. The touchstone for achieving common goals was the idea of constructing a new NPP at the site of the closed Ignalina NPP. The author concludes that the joint construction of a new NPP is quite questionable. When it comes to politics, each of the three Baltic States is ready to build its own NPP. Thus, the development of nuclear power in the Baltic Sea region requires joint coordinated actions independent of any bloc-inspired interests of the states involved. Moreover, this success may prove sustainable if the actions are based on innovative decisions and modern technologies.
1. Japonskaja atomnaja jenergetika — budushhee pod voprosom [Japanese nuclear industry — the ...
Russia’s energy geostrategy in the Baltic Sea region
... characteristics of the Russian energy policy in these countries, and provides with a forecast for energy policy development in the region. A geostrategic approach dictates any successful energy policy in the Baltic Sea region to bring in line Russian interests with those of the European states.
1. Beck, U. 2012, Zhivya v mirovom obshchestve riska i schitayas’ s nim. Kosmopolitichesky povorot [Living in and Coping with World Risk Society: The Cosmopolitan Turn], Polis. Politicheskiye nauki [Polis. Political Science], no 5, p. 47—48.
2. Bailes, J. K., Herolf, Gunila and Sundelius, Bengt (ed.), 2006, The Nordic Countries and the European Security and Defense SIPRI. Oxford University Press, p. 357.
3. Occorsio, E. 2012, Slantsevyy gas: Amerika ...
Russia and the European Union: an elusive quest for common values?
... Kropatcheva, E. 2012, Russia and the role of the OSCE in European security: a ‘Forum’ for dialog or a ‘Battlefield’ of interests? European Security, Vol. 21, no. 3, p. 370—394. doi: 10.1080/096628392 011.640323.
13. Leach, P., Hardman, H., Stephenson,... ... 2012, David Cameron to fight prison voting plan, The Independent, 23 May, available at: http://www. independent. co. uk/news/uk/politics/david-cameron-tofight-prison-voting-plan-7781521.html (accessed 17 June 2012).
16. Parfitt, T. 2012, European Court of ...
The historical aspects and current issues of the development of Russian-Lithuanian economic relations
... (1918—1920) [Lithuania and the Entente (1918—1920).], Vilnius, Mintis.
5. Navickas, К. 1965, Rol' Sovetskogo Sojuza v dele zawity zhiznennyh nacional'nyh interesov litovskogo naroda v 1917—1940 gg [Soviet Union's role in the protection of vital national interests of the people of Lithuania in 1917—1940 years], the author's abstract of the dissertation, Vilnius.
6. SSSR i Litva v gody vtoroj mirovoj vojny. SSSR i Litovskaja respublika (mart 1939 — avgust 1940 gg.) [USSR and Lithuania during the Second ...
Assessment of the efficiency of Russian response to the implementation of US missile defence deployment concept in Europe
... of the components of global US missile defence. This work aims to analyze possible Russia’s responses within military and political spheres. The measures proposed are divided into three subgroups: soft, medium and hard depending on the implementation ... ... ru/world/20110622/171055975.html (accessed 20 July 2011).
18. Ukraina zainteresovalas' Evropejskoj sistemoj PRO [Ukraine is interested in European missile defence system], KM. RU, available at: http://www. km.ru/ukraina/ 2011/10/06/voenno-politicheskii-blok-nato/ukraina-zainteresovalas-evropeiskoi-sistemoi-pro ...
The image of modern Russian innovations in the Danish mass media
This article sets out to identify the attitude of the Danish mass media to modern Russian innovations. The research is timely because of the Russian interest in the experience of Denmark — one of the "innovation leaders" of the EU. The author analyses a number of publications on Russia in the Danish mass media. The positive image of Russian innovations in Danish periodicals is analysed ...