Project approach in transboundary tourism-and-recreation region building: the case of Karelia
... health-improving tourism in resort areas based on the implementation of cross-border cooperation projects in the Baltic region, Ekonomika i sotsium [Economy and society], no. 5-1 (24), p. 132—135 (in Russ.).
19. Kropinova, E. G. 2020, The Role of Tourism in Cross-Border Region Formation in the Baltic Region. In: Fedorov, G., Druzhinin, A., Golubeva, E., Subetto, D., Palmowski, T. (eds) Baltic Region — The Region of Cooperation, Springer Proceedings in Earth and Environmental Sciences, Springer, Cham. doi:
Development of cross-border tourist and recreational regions on the Karelian section of the Russian-Finnish border
... indicator characterizing the volume of incoming tourist flows. The number of tourists is not only indicative of the development of cross-border tourism and recreation; it is also one of the main criteria for determining the degree of the formation of cross-border regions. Using the statistics for Finland, the authors analyzed the geography of tourism in Finland’s border areas and identified the degree of intensity of cross-border tourism exchange between the neighbouring administrative units of the two countries....
Cross-border Specialization of Interregional Interaction: Applying New Assessment Methods
Cross-border cooperation as a type of interregional interaction is becoming a significant factor in the development of border regions. It can be viewed as a result of intensification of cross-border contacts and greater economic openness of cross-border regions. Thus, the roots of current development are quite easy to pinpoint. However, assessment of the impact of cross-border cooperation on the development of border regions appears to be a research challenge. In this paper, we offer an approach to the ...
Cross-border Cooperation as a Mechanism of Regional Marketing in the Baltic Region
... the past or sign-post to the next millennium. URL: http://www.may.ie/staff/dpringle/
10. Interreg IIC
Region. Region Policy Inforegio. URL:
11. Johnson C. M. Cross-Border Regions and Territorial Restructuring in Central Europe: Room for More transboundary Space // European Urban and Regional Studies. 2009. № 16. Р. 177—191.
12. Keller K. L. Strategic
, Measuring and Managing Brand ...
The development of a Russian-Polish cross-border region: the role of the Kaliningrad agglomeration and the Tri-City (Gdansk—Gdynia—Sopot)
Until 1991 ties between entities located on either side of the Russian-Polish border were virtually non-existent. There were, however, favourable physical, geographical, economic, social, and ekistical conditions for the development of a cross-border region. Since the early 1990s, cooperation between administrative units and municipalities, businesses, and non-governmental organisations has been developing on an institutional basis. Euroregions and cross-border cooperation programmes have become major ...
Cross-Border Cooperation between Kaliningrad Region, Lithuania and Poland: Obstacles and Possibilities
... the cross-border cultural and social projects proving that the co-operation under difficult conditions can be successful. The analysis is based on the author's empirical research and interviews with regional experts.
Kaliningrad region, cross-border cooperation, European Union (EU), TACIS programme, PHARE programme, Interreg programme.
Trends in the development of cross-border trade in the Russian-Finnish borderlands
... the trends in and features of the evolution of cross-border trade in the Russian-Finnish borderlands in the 19th/21st centuries. To this end, we carry out a statistics and data analysis. We describe the Russian and international approaches to studying cross-border shopping tourism. We address Finland’s experience in stimulating inbound shopping tourism from Russia and examine why the Russians are attracted to the neighbouring state.
Stepanova S. V., Shlapeko E. A.
border region, Russian-Finnish borderland, shopping tourism, Republic of Karelia, Finland, peddlar trade
On trends in the development of cross-border cooperation in the Kaliningrad region of the Russian Federation
... of co-operation. Iss. 9 (34). Kaliningrad, 2004.
Mezhevich N. Russia and the Baltic States: Some Results and a Few Perspectives // Baltic region. 2015. № 2 (24). P. 4—12.
Perkmann М. Cross-border regions in Europe. Significance and Drivers of Regional Cross-border Cooperation //
Urban and Regional Studies. 2003. № 10(2). P. 71—153.
Fedorov G. Border position as a factor of strategic and territorial planning in Russian regions in the Baltic // Baltic region. 2014. № 3 (21). P. 58—67....
Problems and Prospects of Cross-Border Cooperation in Tourism between Russia and Europe
... Division Polish and Ukrainian Cities, Focus on Geography, V. 56, no. 3.
2. Grama, V. 2011, Cooperation at the EU External Borders. Case of Ramania, Romanian Review on Political Geography. V. 13, no. 2, p. 256—263.
3. Kovacs, A. 2011, On Borders, Border Regions and Cross-border Retail-Trading, Scientific Papers of the University of Pardubice, Series D, Faculty of Economics & Administration.
4. Gal, Z. 2009, Danube Region- Past, Present and Future Prospect of Transnational Cooperation as a Playground of the European ...
Cross-border cooperation in tourism between the Warmian-Masurian voivodeship and the Kaliningrad region
... Regional Development of the Russian Federation, available at: http://www. minregion.ru/activities/international_relations/Cross-border_coop/ (accessed 08 July 2013 г.).
19. Yarovoi, G. О. 2007, Regionalizm i transgranichnoe sotrudnichestvo v Evrope [Regionalism and cross-border Cooperation in Europe], Saint Petersburg, NORMA.
20. Vardomsky, L. B. 2009, Rossijskoe porubezh'e v uslovijah globalizacii [Russian porubezhe in the context of globalization], Moscow, LIBROKOM.
21. Belov, A. Ye. 2009, Pogranichnaja regionalistika ...
Cross-Border Tourist Routes: The Potential of Russia’s North- West
... Barents Euro-Arctic Region], Petrozavodsk, p. 23. (in Russ.)
45. Eco-efficient technologies along the "Blue Road", available at: http:// northcentre.ru/file.php/id/f5520-file-original.pdf (accessed 14.02.2017). (in Russ.)
Stepanova S. V.
cross-border tourist route, border regions, North-West Russia, European Neighbourhood and Partnership Instrument (ENPI) cross-border cooperation programmes, international project, Republic of Karelia
The history of the integration between Russia’s Kaliningrad region and Poland’s northeastern voivodeships: A programme approach
... A. (eds.) Polska polityka wschodnia a współpraca zagraniczna województwa warmińsko-mazurskiego, Olsztyn, Instytut Nauk Politycznych UWM, p. 55—63.
Mironyuk D. A., Żęgota K.
Russia, European Union, Russian-Polish relations, Россия, cross-border cooperation, Kaliningrad region, northeastern voivodeships, border checkpoints
Euroregions as a factor of successful international integration in modern conditions
... results are as follows. The crisis in several EU countries is associated with a complex of causes that deplete the platform for multilateral cooperation in Europe. To a lesser extent, the crisis has affected the states that are actively involved in cross-border cooperation projects. The formation of European regions is closely related to the industrial development of their regions. The Post-Soviet space requires a redistribution of the overcentralized power. The abundance of Euroregions along the perimeter of certain states may be an indicator of economy's ...
Cross-border Tourism in the Russian Northwest: General Trends and Features of Development
... ISG-Institut für Sozialforschung und Gesellschaftspolitik. Cologne, 2005. Цит. по: Bar-Kołelis D., Wiskulski T. Crossborder shopping at polish borders tri-city and the russian tourists // Ibid. 2012.Year 5. No. 1, vol. 9. P. 43—51.
cross-border tourism, border regions, North-western Federal District, tourist mobility, neighbouring states
On the assessment of cross-border regions' development potential
This article sets out to assess the potential of cross-border region development on the basis of theoretical and methodological materials. The study examines the Kaliningrad region and Warmian-Masurian Voivodeship. The article is focused on the modelling of interindustry balance and export/import functions of border ...
International, Transnational and Cross-border Regions: Features, Peculiarities, Hierarchy
... Калининград, 1997.
6. Palmowski T., Fedorov G., Korneevets V.
(editors). Economic, geopolitical and social problems of co-operation between
// Coastal Regions, N 6.
transnational regions, cross-border regions, cross-border cooperation, Baltic Region.
Local border traffic and the development of retail trade in the Kaliningrad region and Polish borderlands
... as an innovative strategy: the example of the North-West Federal District of Russia], Pskovskij regionalisticheskij zhurnal [Pskov regional journal], no. 11, p. 32-34.
10. Mezhevich, N. M., 2011, Prigranichnoe sotrudnichestvo: teorija i rossijskaja regional'naja praktika [Cross-border cooperation: theory and practice of Russian regional], Juzhno-Rossijskij forum: jekonomika, sociologija, politologija, social'nojekonomicheskaja geografija [South-Russian Forum: economics, sociology, political science, social and economic ...
Development of International Clusters in the Baltic Sea Region
... sotrudnichestva» [Informational and analytical resource "Russia — Ukraine: trends and prospects of cooperation"], available at: ukros.ru/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/яшева.doc (accessed 10 December 2012).
international cluster, cross-border cluster, transnational cluster, Baltic Sea region
Twin cities: a new form of cross-border cooperation in the Baltic Sea Region?
... of Haparanda and Tornio. In: Bucken-Knapp, G., Schack, M. (eds.). Borders matter: transboundary regions in contemporary Europe, Copenhagen, Danish Institute of Border Region Studies, p. 59—72.
Anishenko Anatoly, Sergunin Alexander
twin cities, cross-border cooperation, the Baltic region
Geography of inbound tourism and transboundary tourism-and-recreation region-building in Sweden
... 126—131 (In Russ.).
21. Samborskaya, V. 2020, Prospects for the development of tourism in the Baltic Sea region on the example of coastal regions of Sweden, Polish Journal of Science, no. 31—2 (31), p. 40—45 (In Russ.).
22. Prokkola, E. -K. 2007, Cross-border Regionalization and Tourism Development at the Swedish-Finnish Border: “Destination Arctic Circle”, Scandinavian Journal of Hospitality and Tourism, vol. 7, no. 2, p. 120—138. doi: 10.1080/15022250701226022.
23. Prokkola, E. -K. 2010, Borders in ...
The «Lithuania-Poland-Russia» neighbourhood programme in the framework of the formation of the cross-border tourism region in the South-eastern Baltic and the promotion of the sustainable development of the territory
... being drawn up in 2010 identify tourism development as one of priorities, which does not only contribute to the increase in competitive advantages of the participating territories but also facilitates the formation and sustainable development of the cross-border region of the South-eastern Baltic.
Cooperation Programme Lithuania — Poland — Russia 2017—2013. URL
,1,7 (дата обращения: 22.06.2010).
Korneevets V., Kropinova Ye.
International Cooperation in the Field of Tourism and Formation of Cross-Border Tourist Regions in the Baltic Sea Area
The article considers the present situation and perspectives of international cooperation in the field of tourism in the Baltic Sea Regio and the peculiarities of formation of cross-border tourist regions as a variety of territorial recreational system.
Трансграничное сотрудничество в развитии туризма Юго-Восточной Балтики: автореф. дис....
Network Modelling of Transboundary Cooperation between Russian and Belarusian Regional Enterprises: the case of the Kaliningrad and Grodno Regions
... i sootnoshenii ponjatij «region», «mezhdunarodnyj», «transnacional'nyj» i «transgranichnyj» region [On the essence and the relationship between the concepts "region", "international", "trans-national" and "cross-border" region], Vestnik Immanuel Kant State University of Russia, no. 3, p. 8—15.
Ivchenko Vladislav, Furgal Marek, Misyuk Yulia
transborder cooperation, network model of a programme, interregional transborder cooperation, expected model efficiency
Local border traffic as an efficient tool for developing cross-border cooperation
... sub#ektov Rossijskoj Federacii [International and Foreign Economic Relations of the Russian Federation], 2001, Moscow, 352 p.
19. Morachevskaya, K. A. 2013, Prigranichnost' i periferijnost' kak faktory razvitija prigranichnyh s Belorussiej regionov Rossii [Cross-border and peripheral factors as the development of border regions of Russia and Belarus], PhD Thes., Moscow.
20. Nikolaj Cukanov: Mestnoe prigranichnoe peredvizhenie — uspeshnyj jeksperiment, kotoryj nuzhno razvivat' [Nikolai Tsukanov: Local border traffic — a successful experiment that needs to be developed],...
Cooperation between Russia and the EU in the field of innovative development of tourism: the case of the Lithuania — Poland — Russia cross-border cooperation programme
... http://webapps.fep.up.pt/oaij/index.php/EMRP_IJ/article/view/5/22 (accessed 21 September 2012).
16. Weidenfeld, A. 2013, Tourism and cross border regional innovation, Annals of Tourism Research, Vol. 42, p. 191—213.
tourism innovations, regional development, cross-border cooperation, regional economy, Russia-EU international cooperation, tourism development in the Baltic region
The changing role of border regions in the regional policies of the EU and Russia
... and closer attention to border regions’ foreign economic ties, particularly, within the implementation of the Strategy for the Spatial Development of the Russian Federation.
Kuznetsov A. V., Kuznetsova О. V.
border regions, coastal regions, regional policy, EU, Russia, Euroregions, cross-border cooperation, spatial development strategy
Cross-border cooperation between nongovernmental organisations in the Pomeranian and Warmian-Masurian voivodeships
... Uniwersytetu w Białymstoku.
6. Nawrocka, I. 2007, Współpraca transgraniczna w Euroregionie Bałtyk w latach 1998—2006 [Cross-border cooperation in ERB in the years 1998—2006], PhD thesis. Faculty of Economics, no. 57 33 PD, Sopot.
7. Gomółka,... ... Kaliningradskoj oblasti i vozmozhnosti sotrudnichestva s pol'skimi organizacijami [Nongovernmental organizations in the Kaliningrad region and the possibility of cooperation with Polish organizations], available at: http://www. zagranica. ngo. pl/files/go2east....
The foreign policy of Poland and the Kaliningrad region in 1989—2012
... Kaliningrad region in the Polish foreign policy.
1. Chełminiak, M., Kotowicz, W. 2004, The geopolitical signifance of the Kaliningrad oblast from the perspective of Russian interests in the Russian Sea Region. In: Palmowski, T. (ed.). The Framework of regional development in cross-border areas of North-Eastern Poland and the Kaliningrad Oblast, Gdynia-Pelplin, p. 70—76.
2. Chełminiak, M., Kotowicz, W. Modzelewski, W. T. 2006, The Polish — Russian Cross-Border Cooperation. Institutional Conditions and Perspectives of ...
The Kaliningrad Region: Challenges of the Exclave Position and Ways to Offset Them
... the old ones. The article investigates the reaction of the region’s economy to the challenges of its exclave position and considers possible measures to offset related problems in the current geopolitical situation. The article employs statistics, regional strategies, cross-border cooperation programmes, and expert interviews conducted by the authors in Kaliningrad in 2012—2014. The vast body of empirical data is instrumental in analysing the views of different stakeholders and estimating the problems and prospects ...
The effect of cross-border fibre-optic transitions on the information and communication connectivity of the Russian cities
... associated with the worst option — the exogenous connectivity. This is explained by the impossibility of connecting the Kaliningrad region with mainland Russia without using international networks. An analysis of the traffic redistribution between the core cities ... ... digital agglomerations makes it possible to establish what cities are affected by the international cores. I conclude that the cross-border transitions have little effect on the information and communication connectivity of the Russian cities.
Regionalisation in Northern Europe and the Northern Dimension in Russian political discourse
The progress and sustainability of international cross-border region formation is a major concern for Russia, a country bordering sixteen states. In the early 2000s, the development of regions with Russian participation was at its height in northwestern Europe. Cross-border regions arise both naturally, stemming ...
Current and Prospective Transport Connections between Poland’s Border Voivodeships and Russia’s Kaliningrad Region
Transport is an important tool to support interregional cross-border cooperation. Moreover, transport is a traditional area of cooperation between neighbouring regions. In this study, we analyse the features and configuration of today’s transport links between Russian and Polish border regions and examine a range of transport projects aimed at a more diversified and intensive cooperation. We believe that priority ...
Trends in cross-border cooperation between Russian and Belarusian regions
This article deals with the possible areas of cross-border cooperation between Russian and Belarussian regions. The author identifies the main results of cooperation between the countries in trade, transport, science, and social relations. The article proposes four possible scenarios of cooperation, which can ensure a rational use of the regions’ potentials....
Tourism in Border Regions: Theoretical Aspects of a Geographical Study
... possibility of using its findings in developing tourism development programmes for border territories in contemporary Russia.
1. Apostolov, N. 2003, Turisticheski resursi [Tourism resources], Varna, 388 p. (In Bulg.)
2. Batyk, I., Semenova, L. 2013, Cross-border cooperation in tourism between the Warmian-Masurian voivodeship and the Kaliningrad region, Balt. Reg., no. 3, p. 77—85. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2013-3-8.
3. Gavrilova, I. I., Gorevaya, M. I. 2012, The impact of tourism on the economic development of the border region (on the example of the Amur region), Mezhdistsiplinarnye issledovaniya ...
Foreign economic activity of Saint Petersburg, the Leningrad Region, and the Republic of Karelia: problems and opportunities for development
... areas of cross-border relations, since these processes are crucial for Russia’s integration into the global markets.
1. Chub, A. A. 2011, K voprosu o formirovanii transgranichnyh regionov na territorii Rossijskoj Federacii [On the formation of the cross-border regions in the Russian Federation], Regional'naja jekonomika: teorija i praktika, no. 25, p. 27—34.
2. Dvorcova, E. N. 2011, Otechestvennyj i zarubezhnyj opyt upravlenija hozjajstvom pribrezhnyh territorij [National and international experience of economic ...
Cross-Border Cooperation in the Kaliningrad region: Problems and Prospects
... should be linked to the regional development strategies of the neighboring territories. Efficient use of both Russian and the EU funds will help develop a new technology for regional development of North-West Russia.
the Kaliningrad region, cross-border cooperation, the European Union (EU), the Interreg program “Lithuania, Poland, Russia: 2007-2013”, “The Baltic Sea region” programme
Perspectives of Euroregions with Russian Participation in Terms of Changes in the EU Regional Policy
The article describes changes in the cross-border cooperation support in the framework of the EU Regional Policy. The author emphasises the role of the European Neighbourhood Policy in the development of cross-border cooperation with non-EU countries. The article outlines the main obstacles for the development of euroregions at the EU-Russia border ...
Modern Hanseatic Trends in the Baltic Region
... of Council of the the Baltic Sea States, available at:
. pdf (accessed 15.04.2016).
18. Shlapeko, Е. А. 2012, The role of urban elites and the sister city movement in the formation of cross-border regions (on the example of the development of external relations of the Petrozavodsk urban district, the Republic of Karelia), Vestnik Nizhegorodskogo universiteta im. N. I. Lobachevskogo [Bulletin of the Nizhny Novgorod University. N. I. Lobachevsky],...
The intensity of population movements through the Russian- Polish border after the suspension of the local border traffic mechanism: 2016 outcomes
(дата обращения: 22.02.2017).
15. Straz Graniczna. Komenda Glowna Strazt Granicznej URL:
(дата обращения: 12.02.2017).
the Kaliningrad region, the Republic of Poland, the local border traffic, cross-border cooperation, mutual crossing of the state border
Semi-Medium-Sized cities of North-West Russia as drivers for regional development
... Reintegration // Urban Studies. 1995. Vol. 32, № 10. Р. 1587—1600.
Belova A. V.
semi-medium-sized cities, settlement system, the Baltic sea region, socio-economic area, North-West Federal District of the Russian Federation, the Kaliningrad region, cross-border and trans-border cooperation
The instruments of Russia — EU research and technological co-operation in the sphere of innovations
... Studies], no. 1(7), p. 131—142.
12. Baranova, Yu. V. 2011, Predposylki formirovanija transgranichnogo regiona na territorii Programmy sosedstva «Litva — Pol'sha — Kaliningradskaja oblast' Rossijskoj Federacii» [Prerequisites for the formation of cross-border region in the Neighbourhood Programme "Lithuania — Poland — Kaliningrad Region of the Russian Federation"], Region sotrudnichestva [Region of cooperation], no. 1 (55), p. 32—46.
innovations, international cooperation, tools ...
Innovations in the Baltic Sea Region and Network Cooperation between Russia and the EU
Transnational (involving countries) and cross-border (involving adjacent regions of different countries) cooperation and integration are rapidly developing in the Baltic Sea region. Russia lags behind the Nordic countries and Germany as far as innovative development is concerned; yet our national pace here is comparable to ...
Innovative education for the Baltic region: the experience of the Finnish-Russian Cross-border University
... <http://www.balticuniv.uu.se/index.php/films/76-peoples-of-the-baltic-film> [Accessed 14 Juny 2010].
Khudolei Konstantin, Novikova Irina, Lanko Dmitry
higher education, graduate studies, innovative teaching, international relations, Baltic Sea Region, Finnish-Russian Cross-Border University, St. Petersburg State University, University of Tampere
Transboundary Clusters in the Coastal Zones of the European Part of Russia: Inventory, Typology, Factors, and Prospects
... 169—179. (in Russ.)
15. Kotlyarova, S. N. 2012, The practice of forming clusters in the regions of Russia, Regional'naya ekonomika: teoriya i praktika [Regional economy: theory andpractice], no. 24, p. 29—39. (in Russ.)
16. Zelinskaya, E. Z. 2013, Regional cross-border clusters as forms of modern management systems in the real sector of the economy, Pskovskii regionologicheskii zhurnal [Pskov Regionological Journal], № 16, p. 12—18. (in Russ.)
17. Gokhberg, L. M., Shadrin, A. E., Abashkin, V. L., Goland,...
Geography of international clusters in the Baltic region
... theory and methodology of local socioeconomic development, Baltic Region, no. 3 (13), p. 4—24. doi: 10.5922/2079-8555-2012-3-1.
2. Dragileva, I. I., Zverev, Yu. M., Korneevets, V. S., Fedorov, G. M. 2006,Transgranichnaja kooperacija v Baltijskom regione [Cross-border cooperation in the Baltic region]. In: Baltijskij region kak poljus jekonomicheskoj integracii Severo-Zapada
Rossijskoj Federacii i Evropejskogo Sojuza [Baltic region as a pole of economic integration of the North-West of the Russian Federation ...
Competitiveness of the Economies of Border Regions
... сущность, методы оценки, современное состояние // Сборник научных трудов СевКавГТУ.
Сер. Экономика. 2005. № 1.
Bazhenov Yuri, Nikulchenkov Kirill
competitiveness, border region, cross-border cooperation, North-west federal district, the Republic of Karelia
Local Border Traffic as a Form of Visa Liberalisation and Territorial Development
... http://eu-law.ru/2011/06/reglament-es-o-malom-pogranichnom-dvizhenii/accessed 29.08.2014).
23. Rozhkov-Yuryevsky, Yu. D. 2006, Perspektivy trehstoronnego prigranichnogo sotrudnichestva s uchastiem Kaliningradskoj oblasti [Prospects for a trilateral cross-border cooperation with the Kaliningrad region], Vestnik Baltijskogo nauchnogo centra [Bulletin of the Baltic Science Centre], no. 1 (24), p. 29—33.
24. Rossijskie diplomaty podgotovili dlja ES «paket» predlozhenij po resheniju po vizovoj problemy Kaliningradskoj oblasti [Russian diplomats ...
The Kaliningrad region in Polish scientific research
... Modzelewski, W. T. 2004. Przegląd Politologiczny, N 4.
51. Modzelewski, W. T. 2004. Euroregional Cooperation between the borderland regions of Poland and the Kaliningrad District of the Russian Federation. In: T. Palmowski (red.). The Framework of Regional Development in Cross-border Areas of North-Eastern Poland and The Kaliningrad Oblast. Gdynia; Pelplin.
52. Modzelewski, W. T. 2004. Geneza i tożsamość Obwodu Kaliningradzkiego FR. In: P. Timofiejuk, A. Wierzbicki, E. Zieliński (red.). Narody i nacjonalizm w Federacji ...
Economic aspects of cross-border and coastal regions
Practice and Prospects of Cross-Border Cooperation in the Baltic region