Cultural and landscape zoning in the North- West Russia
... recent field of geography. This article considers the problems of geographical study of cultural landscapes of the North-West Russia, which includes Saint Petersburg, the Leningrad, Novgorod, Pskov, and Kaliningrad regions. This article sets out to develop ... ... protection and use of territorial cultural heritage in the framework of comprehensive schemes of territorial planning of the country's regions.
1. Zakharova, К. F. 1970, Dialektnoe chlenenie russkogo jazyka [Dialectal division of the Russian language], Moscow....
Cross-Border Tourist Routes: The Potential of Russia’s North- West
Developing cross-border tourist routes is an effective way of developing cooperation between border regions of Russia and the neighbouring countries. The author presents an approach that interprets cross-border tourist routes as an instrument ... ... theoretical and practical aspects of designing and developing transboundary tourist routes in the border regions of Russia’s North-West. The author describes successful tourist routes within the European Neighbourhood and Partnership Instrument (ENPI) ...
The territorial structure of productive forces of Russian North-West in the 2000—2010s
A number of researchers are studying regional specifications of Russia from a variety of different perspectives. Economic geography has developed its own methods of approaching the study of territories, and looks, in particular, at geographical distribution of labour. In this article, we use the framework provided ...
The Tourist and Recreation Potential of Historical Cities in North-West Russia
... the growing role of tourism and recreation in socioeconomic development and the persisting problem of the national economy’s spatial organisation amidst the absence of a clear-cut regional policy. The authors stress the discrepancy between the distribution ... ... provides a rationale for a more efficient use of the tourist and recreational potential to boost the socio-economic development of Russia’s historical cities. The article describes problems of the cities’ development using the country’s North-West as ...
Changes in the ethnic composition of the population of North- West Russia in the 18th -19th centuries
The launch of the ‘Historical Geography of Russia’ project in Russia’s larger historical and geographical regions necessitated the development of new research methods and the evaluation of traditional ones. The article considers the use of the time slicing method in the historical geography of Russia’s North-West. The ...
On the international cooperation of North-West Russia in the field of innovations in the Baltic
... network of business incubators in the Baltic Sea region. The author identifies promising areas of cooperation between North-West Russia, Finland, Norway, and Estonia in the field of innovations, including telecommunications, information and, space; biological,... ... Innovation Platform” and “Partnership in commercialization of Russian innovations”.
1. Budargin, G. 2009, Evroregiony s uchastiem Rossii: istorija sozdanija i perspektivy razvitija [Euro-regions with the participation of Russia: history and prospects],...
Some features of external migration processes in the coastal regions of the Western borderlands of Russia
... the sea — largely determine the features of socio-economic development of the coastal regions of the Western borderlands of Russia and, as a consequence, the migration processes here. The purpose of the article is to identify the importance of these ... ... L. Ripple effects: population and coastal regions. Washington, 2003.
7. Lyalina A. V. Intensity of the Kaliningrad Region’s Migration Links with Russian Territories and Former Soviet Republics in 1992—2013 // MJSS. 2015. Vol. 6, № 6 S7. P. 181—189....
Foreign direct investment in North-West Russia
... characteristics of foreign direct investment and identifies the features of investment activities with foreign capital participation in the exclave region. The author analyses the dynamics of foreign direct investment inflow to the regions of North-West Russia and the industries preferred by foreign investors and identifies the position of the Kaliningrad region among the regions of North-West Russia
1. Официальный сайт Правительства Калининградской области....
The potential for expanding inter-cluster cooperation between the ship-building industries of Estonia, Finland, and North-West Russia
The shipbuilding industry clusters in the Eastern Baltic Sea region, i. e. Estonia, Finland and North-West Russia, may benefit significantly from increased mutual cooperation; however, the international networks between the clusters ... ... [Working group for the competitiveness of the maritime industry starts it work], available at: https://www.tem.fi/?89508_m=109200&s=2468 (accessed 31 May 2013).
13. NAG Partners, 2012, Suomen offshore-toimiala 2012 [The Finnish Offshore Industry 2012], Prizztech ...
Identifying Key Stakeholder Groups for Implementing a Place Branding Policy in Saint Petersburg
... Petersburg place branding, and to identify them. The authors employ the method of theoretical and empirical typology of a territory’s stakeholders within a theoretical framework proposed by E. Freeman, P. Kotler, S. Zenker, and E. Brown. The article defines ... ... p. 90—98. (in Russ.)
3. Grinchel, B. M. 2007, Assessment of the competitive potential of the regions of the North-West of Russia, Ekonomika Severo-Zapada: problemyi i perspektivyi razvitiya [Economics of the North-West: Problems and Prospects for Development],...
International relations of the North-West federal district of the Russian Federation and the New North concept
This article analyses the role of Russia — the North-West federal district — in the New North concept, which encompasses new political relations in the North ... ... Evropa. [online] Available at: <http://www. senat.org/integr1/txt1.htm> (Accessed 15 January 2011).
6. Derjabin, Ju. S. «Severnoe izmerenie» EC: problemy i perspektivy. [online] Available at: <http://www. journal. leontief. net> (Accessed ...
Russia’s North-West Borders: Tourism Resource Potential
Being an area of development of Russia’s northwest border regions, tourism requires the extending of border regions’ appeal. A unique resource of the northwestern border regions are the current and historical state borders and border facilities. Successful international experience of creating ...
The Role of Tourism in the Development of Russia’s Northwestern Border Regions
This article examines the development of tourism and recreation in the border regions of Russia’s North-West as a new promising area of regional growth. The unique natural, historical, and cultural resources, nature, and a favourable economic and geographical position are basic prerequisites for the development of tourism in the region. Historically,...
The dynamics of agricultural land use in the North-West of Russia and the Baltic countries
The agricultural land dynamics is one of the central issues of land use in Europe and Russia. Each historical period is characterized by its own model of agricultural land use. The analysis of its dynamics in the ... ... Economic Geography. 2016. № 16 (3). P. 749—774. doi: 10.1093/jeg/lbv042.
17. Coenen L., Asheim B., Bugge M. M., Herstad S. J. Advancing regional innovation systems: What does evolutionary economic geography bring to the policy table? // Environment ...
Key Directions of Sectoral and Spatial Changes in the Russian Industry
... These methods include strategic segmentation, analyzing the ability to adapt to the expected conditions, devising a company’s entrepreneurial strategy, and changes in the spatial and industrial structure of production. The transformation of national ... ... national industrial systems are identified; a mechanism for devising and implementing a more structured industrial policy in Russia is developed
1. Alekseev, A. I., Mironenko, N. S. 2000, Territorial'naja organizacija i integracija v mirovoe hozjajstvo ...
Approaches to the Definition of the Baltic Sea Region
... region comprises the whole territories of Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia and the coastal parts of Russia, Germany, and Poland. The extended definition adds the remaining part of Poland, most Russian and German regions, and Belarus ... ... [Continental-oceanic dichotomy in international and regional development], Novosibirsk, 369 p. (In Russ.)
3. Druzhinin A. G., Lachininsky S. S., Krasnov A. I., Sorokin I. S., 2016, Polarization of the settlement system in the coastal zone of the Leningrad Region in ...
The Baltics and Russian North-West: the Core and the Periphery in the 2000s
This article analyses population changes in North-West regions of Russia (the former North-Western economic zone and the Kaliningrad region) and the Baltics at the level of urban districts and ... ... сoncentration of the population in the central parts of the subjects of the Russian Federation since 1990]. In: Artobolevsky, S. S., Sintserov, L. M. (eds.), 2008, Transformacija rossijskogo prostranstva: social'no-jekonomicheskie i prirodno-resursnye ...
Transformation of global value chains in Russia and the Baltics amid Covid-19: prospects for regionalization and implications for economic policy
Although Russia and the Baltics have historically been economic partners, the economic relations between them are tense today. Nearly stagnating ... ... available at:
(accessed 8 August 2020).
2. Miroudot, S. 2020, Resilience versus robustness in global value chains: Some policy implications. Covid-19 and trade policy: Why turning ...
Innovations in the Baltic Sea Region and Network Cooperation between Russia and the EU
... (involving adjacent regions of different countries) cooperation and integration are rapidly developing in the Baltic Sea region. Russia lags behind the Nordic countries and Germany as far as innovative development is concerned; yet our national pace here ... ... Sea region], Balt. reg., no. 3 (13), p. 73—86. doi: 10.5922/2079-8555-2012-3-5.
14. Mychko, Ye. I., Amthor, U. Zyolko, A. S. 2011, K voprosu o mezhdunarodnom sotrudnichestve v innovacionnoj sfere sovremennoj vysshej shkoly [On international innovation ...
Typology of the geodemographic situation in the regions of the North-West of Russia
... through complex analysis of demographic, migration, socio-economic processes in the subjects of the North-West Federal District of Russia. The authors have selected 30 assessment indicators which reflect in aggregate the level of demographic development, the ... ... changes. The obtained results made it possible to propose measures to improve the demographic situation in the regions of the North- West of Russia.
1. Агафонов Н. Т., Голубев А. Н. Категории и факторы демографической ...
The Evolution of Settlement Areas of Ingrian Finns in Northwest Russia in the Second Half of the 20th Century
... in detail the available information on the spatial organisation of Russian Finnish population in the North-western region of Russia.
1. Anokhin, А. А., Khrushchev, S. А. 2003, Avtohtonnye jetnokontaktnye zony Severo-Zapada Rossii: sovremennoe sostojanie, dinamika i prognoz [Autochthonous ... ... 1927, Jetnicheskij sostav naselenija Severo-Zapadnoj oblasti i Karelii [The ethnic composition of the population of the North West region and Karelia], Leningrad, 117 p.
7. Itogi Vserossijskoj perepisi naselenija 2002 goda [Results of the National Population ...
Rural areas of russia’s north-west borderland: problems and development paths
This article focuses on the rural areas of Russia’s North-West borderlands, particularly, the municipal districts and towns that are closest to the national border. The study aims to identify problems in the development of these territories and provide solutions to them. The methodological framework ...
Semi-Medium-Sized cities of North-West Russia as drivers for regional development
The article discusses the semi-medium-sized cities (with a population from 20 to 50 thousand people) and their functions in five regions of the North-West Federal District of the Russian Federation; the socio-economic areas formed by the semi-medium-sized cities are clearly represented. As an example, five semi-medium-sized cities of the Kaliningrad region are considered, the role of each city in regional development and regional settlement system is revealed. The author analyses participation of...
Competitiveness of the Economies of Border Regions
... cross-border cooperation and international integration, taking the North-west federal district and the Republic of Karelia as a case-study. The article describes the mechanisms of building and increasing competitiveness of border regions in today’s Russia both in general and, particularly, in the Republic of Karelia as a border region of the North-west federal district.
регионов: теоретико-прикладные аспекты / под ...
The coastalisation of population in today’s Russia: A sociogeographical explication
... the ‘drift’ of the demographic potential from the inland territories to the coastal periphery, which has been observed in Russia for centuries. A vast body of empirical data and statistics is used to demonstrate that, during the post-Soviet period,... ... The author argues that against the background of increasing socioeconomic risks — particularly due to the change in Russia’s geostrategic priorities — the coastal zones remain crucial to the new configuration of the country’s settlement system.
Societal security in the Baltic Sea Region: the Russian perspective
... approaches to the concept of societal security formulated in them. On a practical plane, Russia has managed to develop — together with other regional players — a common... ... Security], Nizhny Novgorod State University Press, Nizhny Novgorod (in Russ.).
8. Chugayev, S. 1997, State of the Economy and Society Is the Main Threat for Russia, Says the Russian... ... Cooperation and Conflict, vol. 39, no. 3, p. 317—331.
29. Morozov, V. 2005, On the West’s Cunning and Its Unmaskers: Russia’s Foreign Policy Thought and Self-Isolation...
North-West Russia in the context of European integration
... longer perspective — those of close cooperation between different social systems. The article considers the case of North-West Russia, the only territory having a common border with the EU, in order to examine the issue of Russia using the geographical ... ... from other European regions in terms of economic interests, as well as its natural and sociocultural landscape.
1. Witte, S. Yu. 1960, Vospominanija [Memoirs], Мoscow, Vol. 2, p. 122—123.
2. Karlbek, H. 2002, Russkoe v Shvecii i shvedskoe v Rossii ...
The Baltic Finnish Peoples Divided by State and Administrative Borders: Territorial Development of the Karelians, Vepsians, and Setos
... language and culture of ethnic minorities of the Russian North-West.
1. Bulkin, А. А. 2005, Geograficheskaja razobshhennost' i subjetnosy karel [Geographical dispersion and Karel subethnos], thesis abstract , Saint Petersburg, 22 p.
2. Zherbin, А. S. 1956, Pereselenie karel v Rossiju v nachale i seredine XVII veka [Karel resettlement in Russia at the beginning and middle of XVII century], Petrozavodsk, 79 p.
3. Zaitseva, M. I. 1990, Vepsskij jazyk [Vepssky language]. In: Lingvisticheskij jenciklopedicheskij slovar' [Linguistic Encyclopedic Dictionary], Moscow, p. 82—83.
4. Informacionnye ...
Territorial differences in the innovative development of Sweden, Finland, and the North-western federal district of the Russian Federation
... (which corresponds to the centreperiphery model).
1. Kapital strany [Capital of the country], available at: http://kapital-rus.ru/articles/article/180465 (accessed 24 May 2012).
2. Regiony Rossii. Social'no-jeconomicheskie pokazateli. 2011 [Regions of Russia.Socio-economic indicators. 2011], 2011, Moscow, Federal State Statistics.
3. Federal'naya sluzhba gosudarstvennoj statistiki Rossii, 2012 [Federal State Statistics of Russia, 2012], available at: http://www.gks.ru/wps/wcm/connect/rosstat/rosstatsite/main/ ...
Russian-Estonian relations: a medium-term forecast
This article shows why the non-existent political dialogue between Russia and Estonia will hardly develop in the next five years and why Estonia can lose its significance for the Russian foreign ... ... sovremennyj mir [Russia and the modern world], no. 2, p. 54—64.
10. Makarychev, A. 2005, Pskov at the Crossroads of Russia’s Trans-Border Relations with Estonia and Latvia: Between Provinciality and Marginality, Europe— Asia Studies, Vol. 57, no. ...
Local Border Traffic as a Form of Visa Liberalisation and Territorial Development
This article addresses the issue of visa liberalisation between Russia and the European Union, which constitutes a key aspect of the parties’ diplomatic cooperation. This work sets out to ... ... available at: http://rg.ru/2013/07/02/reg-szfo/graniza.html (accessed 27.10.2013).
3. Pol'sha zhdet bolee intensivnyh kontaktov s novym gubernatorom Kaliningradskoj oblasti [Poland is waiting for more intensive contacts with the new governor of the Kaliningrad ...
Geopolitical and Geo-economic Changes in the Baltic Sea Region at the Turn of the XX—XXI centuries
... Sweden, Denmark, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia), and the same two countries, Sweden and Finland, remain outside the bloc. Russia, the legal successor of the USSR, is neither a NATO, nor an EU member. The authors explore similarities and differences ... ... District (Russia), available at:
. academic. ru/dic.nsf/ruwiki/1497548 (accessed 04.07.2016). (In Russ.)
5. Kara-Murza, S. G. 2001, Sovetskaya civilizaciya [Soviet civilization], Moscow. (In Russ.)
6. Kivikari, U. 1996, Ekonomicheskoe prostranstvo ...
The regional approach in the policy of the Russian Federation towards the Republic of Estonia
... the Russian Federation towards the Republic of Estonia. Regionalism is interpreted as a situation, when a political leader’s beliefs change depending on what region of the world is considered. Leaders of great powers often assume that, for example, ... ... to identify the impact of the regional approach on the beliefs of political leaders. The author comes to the conclusion that Russia’s policy towards Estonia largely depends on Russia’s policy towards the regions which the Russian elite relate Estonia ...
Innovation performance of Russia’s Northwestern regions: a comparative evaluation
Innovative activities underpin the economic development and competitiveness of Russian regions. This article seeks to compare the innovation performance of Russia’s north-western regions, which are among the most progressive in the country, and their available resource. A review of the literature suggests that most Russian publications combine systems of composite indices with econometric and statistical approaches ...
The Kaliningrad region in Polish scientific research
This article offers an overview of the leading Polish research centres focusing on the political, social, and economic aspects of the Kaliningrad region.
1. Achremczyk, S. 2005. Komunikaty Mazursko-Warmińskie, № 3.
2. Baryła, T. 2000. Polska w Europie, N 34.
3. Baryła, T., Hojszyk, W., Wojnowsk,i E. 2004. Obwód Kaliningradzki Federacji Rosyjskiej. Wybór dokumentów 1994—2004. Olsztyn.
4. Bingen, D. 1993. ...
The transition process and institutions: on the issue of the standard of living in the countries of Central and Eastern Europe — members of the European Union
... groups of countries turns out to be narrower than cross-regional differences within seven EU member states at the Eurostat’s NUTS 2 level.
1. Åslund, A. 2012, How Capitalism Was Built: The Transformation of Central and Eastern Europe, Russia, the Caucasus, and Central Asia, 2nd ed., New York, Cambridge University Press.
2. Kornai, J. 2006, The Great Transformation ... ...
49. De Soto, H. 2000, The Mystery of Capital: Why Capitalism Triumphs in the West and Fails Everywhere Else, New York, Basic Books and London, Bantam Press/Random House.
50. Novokmet, F., Piketty, T. Zucman ...
The External Economic Factor in the Development of Northwestern Regions: Institutional Support and an Impact Assessment
... the multi-tier nature of the institutional framework for international economic cooperation in the international region.
Andreeva E. L., Ratner A. V., Myslyakova Y. G., Glukhikh P. L.
external economic development factor, institutional support, Russia’s North- West, international interregional cooperation, Nordic Europe, features of Nordic regions
The North-West of Russia: the potential and areas of Russian-Lithuanian research and innovation cooperation
... research and innovation. The author analyses the tendencies of innovation activities of economic entities in the North-West of Russia in terms of relative innovation activity indicators. Special attention is paid to the role of cross-border and trans-border ... ... goda (proekt dlja obsuzhdenija) by V. V. Okrepilov — nauch. rukovoditel' Programmy. 2010. SPb, IPRJe RAN.
4. Korneevets, V. S. 2010. Mezhdunarodnaja regionalizacija na Baltike. SPb.:Izd-vo S.-Peterburg. gos. un-ta.
5. Okrepilov, V. V. (Ed.). 2010. ...
The role of transborder cooperation in the increase of innovative potential of the Baltic region
... the development of innovation potential in the Baltic Sea Region, particularly in the South-East Baltic. The author makes the conclusion about the need to increase the share of innovative projects with the participation of the regions of North-West of Russia; actors fr om the Nordic countries, wh ere regional cooperation is an important engine for innovation development, should be actively involved in these projects.
1. Инновационная деятельность и трансграничное ...
Project approach in transboundary tourism-and-recreation region building: the case of Karelia
... “Mining road”, Trudy Karel’skogo nauchnogo tsentra RAN [Proceedings of the Karelian Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences], no. 7 ,p. 205—210 (in Russ.).
16. Stepanova, S. V. 2017, Cross-Border Tourist Routes: The Potential of Russia’s North- West, Balt. Reg., vol. 9, no. 4, p. 97—112. doi: 10.5922/2079-8555-2017-4-7.
17. Nenonen, J. K., Stepanova, S. V. 2018, Geological tourism development in the Finnish-Russian borderland: the case of the cross-border geological route «Mining Road», ...
Russian-Estonian Economic and Investment Cooperation During the Crisis: Dynamics and Possibilities
... problems in trade and investment ties are detected. The aim of the study is to uncover key motivation behind the actions of both Russia and Estonia, to identify the drivers for economic and political development in the region, and to work out recommendations ... ... "small" integration], Sovremennaja Evropa [Modern Europe], no. 2, p. 48—59.
5. Kuznetsov, A. V. Chetverikova, A. S. 2009, Problemy rossijsko-pribaltijskih jekonomicheskih svjazej [Problems of Russian-Baltic economic relations], Mirovaja jekonomika ...
Russia’s Coastal Zone as a Social and Geographic Phenomenon: Conceptualisation and Delimitation
... population and economy as a key indicator of the development of a coastal zone. The author stresses the inverted coastalisation in Russia at the macro- and meso-levels and identifies its causes. The article defines the coastal zone as a full-scale, continuum-discrete ... ... author examines the conditions and prospects for the formation of marine cross-border clusters in the key segments of Russia’s coastal zone.
1. Mechnikov, L. I. 1898, Tsivilizatsiya i velikie istoricheskie reki [The Civilization and the great historical ...
Environmental intensity of economic growth in the Baltic Sea region
... the rapid spread of resource-saving technologies is reducing the environmental intensity of economic activities. In this study, I aim to examine the ecological-economic dynamics of the environmental effects of economic development in the regions of Russia’s North-Western Federal District (NWFD). I employ an extended version of Peter A. Victor’s model to produce a comprehensive evaluation of changes in economic indicators and correlate them with the total and specific environmental impact. Iconduct ...
On the Role of Gesinnung in Kant’s Ethics and Philosophy of Religion. Part I
Kant’s concept of Gesinnung reveals the whole range of its problematic potential when it has to be translated into other languages: there are no ready-made equivalents. The problem stems from the evolution of this concept in Kant himself from the pre-Critical ...
The traditions of Russian and European perception of the state frontier in the conditions of transborder regional cooperation
... is defined through a prism of regional integration processes. The authors examine the role of trans-border relations between Russia and the European Union in promoting mutually beneficial strategic cooperation in the Baltic Sea region. Historical experience,... ... Russia], Polis, no.5, p. 145—153.
5. Le Goff, Zh. 1992, Tsivilizatsya srednevekovogo Zapada [The civilization of the medieval West], Moscow.
6. Pozdnyakov, E. A. 1995, Geopolitika, Moscow.
7. Prokhorenko, I. L. 1993, Ponyatie granitsy v sovremennoy geopolitike ...
Cross-border Tourism in the Russian Northwest: General Trends and Features of Development
... tourist mobility between neighbouring countries. The author describes an approach that considers the border regions of Northwest Russia as attractive destinations for tourists from neighbouring countries. The development of cross-border tourism as a specific ... ... Tourism and Geosites, 2012. Year V no.1,vol. 9. P. 43—51.
18. Morales Rafael G. R., Mata Sánchez N. D., Gijón-Cruz A. S. et al. The impact of nostalgia tourism and family remittances in the development of a rural Oaxacan community. URL: www.google....
Northern Dimension: Participant Strategies
This article is devoted to the “Northern Dimension” initiative of the EU which also includes North-West Russia, Norway and Iceland. It is noted that the “Northern Dimension” in the theoretical perspective can be considered as ... ... wider northern
Browning Christopher, Pertti Joenniemi. The European Union's Two Dimensions: The Eastern and the Northern // Security dialogue. 2003. 34 (4):463—78.
, Filippov ...
Crafts of peasant women in the north-western provinces of Russia in the late 19th/early 20th century
This article explores local crafts of peasant women of the north-western provinces, namely, weaving, needlework, and lacework. The work conditions are examined. The author stresses that workers were highly dependent on dealers who provided them with raw materials and sold their products at the market. The phenomena identified are indicative of the formation of capitalistic forms of using the labour of peasant women practicing crafts, including that of a “dispersed manufactory.”
1. Обзор деятельности...
Cross-border Specialization of Interregional Interaction: Applying New Assessment Methods
... regulirovanija territorial'nogo razvitija [States and regions. The theory and practice of state regulation of territorial development], Moscow.
6. Lexin, V., Shevtsov, V. 1993, Regional'naja politika Rossii: koncepcii, problemy, reshenija [Regional Policy of Russia: concepts, problems, solutions], Rossijskij jekonomicheskij zhurnal [Russian Economic Journal], no. 9.
7. Liebman, А. М. 2008, Decentralizacija, integracija i regionalizacii: vzaimosvjaz' i vzaimovlijanie [Decentralization, integration and regionalization: ...
Universities of the North-western federal district in Russian-Finnish research cooperation
6. Opetushaalitus Utbildningsstyrelsen, Universiteten, available at: http://www.utbildningsstyrelsen.fi/utbildning_och_examina/hogskolor_och_universitet/ universiteten (accessed 18 April 2012).
Ryabichenko Arkady, Kuznetsova Tatyana
innovations, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Northwestern federal district, universities, cooperation