Competitiveness of the Economies of Border Regions
... their competitiveness, as well as analyse certain indices characterizing it. They examine the role of these regions in the development of international trade and economic relations, cross-border cooperation and international integration, taking the North-west federal district and the Republic of Karelia as a case-study. The article describes the mechanisms of building and increasing competitiveness of border regions in today’s Russia both in general and, particularly, in the Republic of Karelia as a border region ...
Semi-Medium-Sized cities of North-West Russia as drivers for regional development
The article discusses the semi-medium-sized cities (with a population from 20 to 50 thousand people) and their functions in five regions of the North-West Federal District of the Russian Federation; the socio-economic areas formed by the semi-medium-sized cities are clearly represented. As an example, five semi-medium-sized cities of the Kaliningrad region are considered, the role of each city in regional development ...
Innovations in the Baltic Sea Region and Network Cooperation between Russia and the EU
... research cooperation], Balt. reg., no. 3 (13), p. 161—168. doi: 10.5922/2079-8555-2012-3-11.
22. Strategija social'no-jekonomicheskogo razvitija Severo-Zapadnogo federal'nogo okruga na period do 2020 goda [Strategy for Socio-Economic Development of the North-West Federal District 2020], available at: http://minregion.ru/activities/territorial_planning/strategy/federal_development/szfo/ (accessed 6 January 2013).
23. Transgranichnoe sotrudnichestvo [Cross-border cooperation], available at: http://www.rakennerahastot.fi/rakennerahastot/tiedostot/euroopan_alueellinen_yhteistyo/TEM_esite_EAY_ENPI_yhteistyo_yli_rajojen_RUS_lores....
The Role of Tourism in the Development of Russia’s Northwestern Border Regions
....2010 № 1755-IVЗС], 2013.
22. Strategija social'no-jekonomicheskogo razvitija Severo-Zapadnogo federal'- nogo okruga na period do 2020 goda: rasporjazhenie Pravitel'stva RF ot 18.11.2011 g. № 2074-r) [Strategy for Socio-Economic Development of the North-West Federal District for the period up to 2020: Russian Federation Government Decree 18.11.2011g. № 2074-p], 2011.
23. Turistskie marshruty SSSR [Tourist tours of UUUR], Wikipedia, available at:
24. Upravlenie ...
Trends in population change and the sustainable socio-economic development of cities in North-West Russia
The Northwestern Federal District is a Russian macro-region that is a unique example of a model region. It accounts for 10 % of the country’s total area and 9.5 % of its population. This article aims to trace the patterns of city distribution across the region, to assess the ...
Cross-border Specialization of Interregional Interaction: Applying New Assessment Methods
... of 26.08.2010 № 383-PP)].
21. Strategija social'no-jekonomicheskogo razvitija Severo-Zapadnogo federal'nogo okruga na period do 2020 goda (Rasporjazhenie Pravitel'stva RF ot 18.10.2011g. № 2074-r) [Strategy for Socio-Economic Development of the North-West Federal District for the period up to 2020 (Russian Federation Government Decree 18.10.2011g. № 2074-p)].
Mezhevich Nikolai, Zhuk Nadezhda
interregional interaction, cross-border cooperation, assessment of cross-border specialization
The External Economic Factor in the Development of Northwestern Regions: Institutional Support and an Impact Assessment
... components. The study stresses dependence between the total international trade and internal economic performance of Russia’s North-West. Another focus is an analysis of institutional support for the development factors and the levels and areas of international ... ... considerable support for international cooperation at different levels and in different areas. To a degree, this is explained by the federal district’s geographical position and transport connections, the ‘Nordic’ character of the economy shared by the Russian ...
International relations of the North-West federal district of the Russian Federation and the New North concept
This article analyses the role of Russia — the North-West federal district — in the New North concept, which encompasses new political relations in the North of Europe in the framework of international organisations and regional cooperation — for instance, the Northern Dimension.
1. Beloborodova, I. N. 2000. POLIS,...
Identifying Key Stakeholder Groups for Implementing a Place Branding Policy in Saint Petersburg
(accessed 01.03.2017). (in Russ.)
16. Saint Petersburg restaurant festival-2016, 2016, Visit Petersburg, St. Petersburg Official City Guide, available at:
(accessed 01.03.2017). (in Russ.)
17. North-West Federal District: features and directions of regional development, available at:
18. Sotsialno-ekonomicheskaya strategiya razvitiya Sankt-Peterburga do 2030 goda. Razvitie nauki i innovatsionnoy ...
On the international cooperation of North-West Russia in the field of innovations in the Baltic
This article focuses on the cooperation between the constituent entities of the Northwestern Federal District of the Russian Federation and the Baltic countries (Finland, Estonia, and Norway) in the field of innovations at national and regional levels,... ... transnational network of business incubators in the Baltic Sea region. The author identifies promising areas of cooperation between North-West Russia, Finland, Norway, and Estonia in the field of innovations, including telecommunications, information and, space; ...
The Baltics and Russian North-West: the Core and the Periphery in the 2000s
This article analyses population changes in North-West regions of Russia (the former North-Western economic zone and the Kaliningrad region) and the Baltics at the level of urban districts and municipalities. The cohort component method is used to analyze the youth population dynamics in the administrative ... ... subektov RF posle 1990 goda [Behavior of the сoncentration of the population in the central parts of the subjects of the Russian Federation since 1990]. In: Artobolevsky, S. S., Sintserov, L. M. (eds.), 2008, Transformacija rossijskogo prostranstva: social'no-jekonomicheskie ...
Structural and Functional Characteristics of the Spatial Development of Rural and Urban Areas in the Northwestern Economic District
...., Sazonova, I. Е. 2012, The territorial structure of productive forces of Russian North-West in the 2000—2010s, Balt. Reg., no. 1 (11), p. 81—88. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2012-1-10... ... V., Chistobaev, А. I. 2014, Spatial planning in the European Union and the Russian Federation, Balt. Reg., no. 1 (19), p. 104—112. DOI: 10.5922/2079-8555-2014-1-9.
... ... vestnik [Geographic bulletin], no. 1—2, p. 15—22.
Northwestern economic district, spatial development, regional population distribution systems, forces of production...
The Baltic Finnish Peoples Divided by State and Administrative Borders: Territorial Development of the Karelians, Vepsians, and Setos
Ethnocultural diversity of the Russian Federation is not only an important component of its historical heritage but also a ... ... The article analyses the case of three Baltic Finnish peoples living in the Russian North-West and divided by borders of different levels: Karelians (Finland, the Republic... ..., as well as the results of a complex expedition made in summer 2014 in the Pechory district of the Pskov region. The results of the study show that the assimilation of...
Russia’s North-West Borders: Tourism Resource Potential
... opportunity for tourism and recreation development in the border regions of Russia’s North-West. The author summarises international practices of using the potential of... ....2016). (in Russ.)
13. The official website of the Central Border Museum of the Russian Federal Security Service, 2016, available at:
(accessed... ... border, tourist resource, tourist destination, border regions, Northwestern Federal district
Typology of the geodemographic situation in the regions of the North-West of Russia
The article evaluates the geodemographic situation at the meso level through complex analysis of demographic, migration, socio-economic processes in the subjects of the North-West Federal District of Russia. The authors have selected 30 assessment indicators which reflect in aggregate the level of demographic development, the quality and standard of living of the population. It allowed to make the typology of subjects NWFD of the Russian ...
The Evolution of Settlement Areas of Ingrian Finns in Northwest Russia in the Second Half of the 20th Century
... nation-wide censuses conducted between 1959 and 2010 in the Soviet Union and in the Russian Federation, as well as on the contemporary data of the Estonian Department of Statistics... ... settlement area. This is done through utilizing ethnicity-related statistical data of the district at the lowest level of administrative division. The author emphasises a significant... ... sovremennoe sostojanie, dinamika i prognoz [Autochthonous ethnic contact zone of the North-West of Russia: current status, dynamics and forecast]. In: Dmitriev, V. V., Shilov...
Local border traffic and the development of retail trade in the Kaliningrad region and Polish borderlands
9. Mezhevich, N. M., Zhabrev, А. А. 2011, Prigranichnoe sotrudnichestvo kak innovacionnaja strategija: na primere Severo-Zapadnogo Federal'nogo Okruga Rossii [Cross-border cooperation as an innovative strategy: the example of the North-West Federal District of Russia], Pskovskij regionalisticheskij zhurnal [Pskov regional journal], no. 11, p. 32-34.
10. Mezhevich, N. M., 2011, Prigranichnoe sotrudnichestvo: teorija i rossijskaja regional'naja praktika [Cross-border cooperation: theory and practice ...
Structural Changes in the Economy of the Russian Northwest: Spatial Dimension
... geography approach], Moscow.
7. Rozanova, L. I., Moroshkina, M. V. 2015, Analiz vliyaniya protsessa kontsentratsii na razvitiye regionov Severo-zapadnogo federal'nogo okruga [Analysis of the impact of processes of concentration on the development of North-West Federal District regions], Ekonomicheskiy analiz: teoriya i praktika [The economic analysis: theory and practice], no.22, p. 52—62.
8. Tolstoguzov, O. V. 2011, Differentsiatsiya regionov Rossii i problemy razvitiya prigranichnykh regionov [Differentiation ...
Modern Hanseatic Trends in the Baltic Region
... This took a toll on the efficiency of cooperation between the cities of Russia’s North-West and their Baltic counterparts. Therefore, it is important to seize the opportunities... ... Region in the focus of development strategies of the European Union and the Russian Federation », 2012, Center for Cross-Border and Interregional Cooperation of the Higher... ... (on the example of the development of external relations of the Petrozavodsk urban district, the Republic of Karelia), Vestnik Nizhegorodskogo universiteta im. N. I. Lobachevskogo...